Batgirl (2022)

Started by johnnygobbs, Thu, 30 Mar 2017, 17:48

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: DocLathropBrown on Tue, 15 Feb  2022, 19:41
Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sun, 13 Feb  2022, 19:10

If all we had was an aging Batman then I could understand fans being worried, but the fact we're getting a new young Batman as well – and by the looks of it, a very good one – means we'll have the best of both worlds. Over the next few years we'll have gritty, grounded stories featuring the young Battinson in his prime, and we'll have more fantastical adventures featuring the mature Bat-Keaton and his allies in the Justice League. If the new DCEU Batman films are bad, then we've always got Battinson and Reeves to fall back on. While I definitely have issues with the way WB is handling the DCEU, and I think there are legitimate reasons to be concerned about its upcoming films, I still have hope that the Keaton Batman aspect will turn out all right.

I'm surprised they haven't released an official image of him in the suit yet. Normally the studio would try to do that before set pics leaked. Perhaps there's a new trailer imminent that will include an official reveal?

Finally, some positivity here. I was starting to feel like I was the only person out of this community that dared to look on the bright side. Granted, others are entitled to their opinion, but some need to realize they've become a wet blanket.

I'm tremendously excited for the future of the DCEU specifically because of Keaton--granted, I think the DC movies have been on a generally upward trend since the release of Suicide Squad, even if that film could have been a lot better, every film since has been better than the absolute dumpster fire of BvS. I even enjoy the theatrical cut of JL, even if Whedon is a jerk. I have no excitement for Reeves' version as it looks to me to be even more watered-down than Nolan's trilogy, though I'll be there to see it and hope to be won over.

If you had told me a decade ago that not only would Keaton return to Batman--much less to return for a length of time and be at the heart of not-only a proper Bat family but also a DC universe? I'd have committed you to Arkham. I won't hold my breath for him being semi-retired--the idea that he'll get any more action after The Flash is too good to be true for me at the moment, but the idea of his Batman starting the Bat family because he's too old to do it by himself anymore makes a lot of sense for how he's always portrayed the character.

I do hope 89 and BR get more-or-less folded into the DCEU history--not only since they'd be the official start of the universe now, but also so it still feels like the same Batman as before. Even if it isn't and it's a new, amalgamated iteration, at least we get a send-off for the Batman we knew in The Flash. I prefer BF as the continuation of Burton's Batman for its resolution to his character and addressing his kills during the Burton flicks. However, getting a new Earth Keaton Bruce who either never killed or still went on a journey to be better makes me happy on the other end--while I never would write-off an entire performance for such a reason, I still have considerably come around on appreciating the no-kill code.

The best outcome for me is that 89 and BR still happened exactly, just presumably in a slightly more recent time frame and with Simmons as Gordon. Mention that Wayne eventually had the same BF epiphany about vengeance and he cleaned up his act, and then roll-on DCEU. I'm partial to the idea that Leto was a second, copycat Joker who came later--perhaps this would please his most ardent detractors.
My sentiments exactly.

Also, I can confirm that the actor in the batsuit has thus far been a double. Michael Keaton only joined the production in Glasgow today.

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Tue, 15 Feb  2022, 19:57

My sentiments exactly.

Also, I can confirm that the actor in the batsuit has thus far been a double. Michael Keaton only joined the production in Glasgow today.

Figured as much. Not like Keaton did too much of his own fighting anyway, and it seems like that tradition will continue  ;D

If stunt doubles are needed for "modern-day" Batman to still suit-up when needed, I certainly can't complain.
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 14 Feb  2022, 01:00All very good stories. I'm ready to see the early years with Reeves, because while TDK Returns is my Batman Bible it has been overused. My preference does mostly rest in the later years of Batman's career, though. He's seen and done it all, accumulated a complete gallery of rogues, and has a lot more mental and physical scars. If they could reference the stories you've listed even in a brief way that would be excellent.

TDK Returns: Mutant Leader type fight
Beyond: Retired and mentoring replacements
Kingdom Come: Using a similar mech suit for battle
Year 100: 'That can't be Batman out there fighting crime after all these years'
Flashpoint: Moving on from lethality to be a purer hero and 'good man'

I think there's a strong chance some of these elements will be incorporated into the upcoming movies. The mentor aspect of Batman Beyond is rumoured to be a factor in the Batgirl film, and I've got a feeling that we'll see Keaton's Batman transition from the lethal Golden Age-inspired version of the earlier movies into a more modern nonlethal version at the end of The Flash.

As for the mech armour, a part of me thinks they should save that for when Keaton's too old to handle the action anymore. At the moment it looks like he's still capable of performing fight scenes, but a few years from now he might not be able to anymore. That would be a good time to whip out the mech suit. Saying that, it would also make sense to bring out the mech armour for the Justice League film WB is supposedly developing. That would allow Batman to keep up with the other members of the JLA and perform on their metahuman level.

The bloody batsuit in The Flash trailer suggests a violent encounter of some significance, which could well have been a beat down delivered by a younger stronger adversary. It might not be – maybe he was just shot or injured in a car crash – but the way the suit has been discarded on the floor is strongly evocative of the second chapter of The Dark Knight Returns.

I suppose it could just be a coincidence, but... I don't know. The visual similarity seems a tad too specific to be accidental. In some ways The Flash feels like it could be the most authentic live action version of The Dark Knight Returns so far. Sure, they already adapted aspects of TDKR in The Dark Knight Rises and Batman v Superman, but Bale and Affleck were both a lot younger than the TDKR Batman and neither of them was returning to the role after a prolonged absence. In Keaton's case, however, he really is old and it's been literally thirty years since he last donned the suit. We've got an actor who starred in Batman movies when he was younger, and now he's returning to the role after a three decade absence. This is the Burtonverse Dark Knight Returns, and it has the potential to reflect that book's central concept – that of the aging Batman returning to duty – more accurately than any previous movie.

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Tue, 15 Feb  2022, 17:37
Here is video Batman and Gordon.
https://t.co/uhAfKshV6a

Here is a photo

I wish we could see footage of the actual fight. It looks like those guys got wrecked by Batman. The way Gordon glances over his shoulder after Batman legs it out of shot implies this could be one of those moments where Batman disappears mid conversation. All this time we assumed he used some kind of ninja stealth technique to vanish, but now we see that he just runs away when Gordon's not looking.

The batsuit looks very shiny in the last of those clips, but I suppose that could just be the rain. I hope they'll incorporate some of the design improvements from the Schumacher-era suits into this new costume. On the whole, I've always preferred the Burton batsuits to the Schumacher versions. But I do think that the Schumacher batsuits were better proportioned and had a more impressive overall shape. Especially the sonar/arctic suits. Clooney was probably even skinnier than Keaton, and yet the arctic suit lent his slender frame an imposing musculature comporable to that of the Arkham Batman. And Kilmer looked equally bulked up in the sonar suit.

If they could preserve the basic aesthetic of the Batman Returns costume, but have it shaped more like the sonar/arctic suits, then it could be the best batsuit to date. If nothing else though, it's great to see the return of the yellow oval on the chest emblem for the first time in a quarter of a century. It's been gone for far too long.

Quote from: DocLathropBrown on Tue, 15 Feb  2022, 19:41If you had told me a decade ago that not only would Keaton return to Batman--much less to return for a length of time and be at the heart of not-only a proper Bat family but also a DC universe? I'd have committed you to Arkham. I won't hold my breath for him being semi-retired--the idea that he'll get any more action after The Flash is too good to be true for me at the moment, but the idea of his Batman starting the Bat family because he's too old to do it by himself anymore makes a lot of sense for how he's always portrayed the character.

I still can't quite believe it either. This time ten years ago we were anticipating the release of The Dark Knight Rises. Back then I never would have believed that a decade hence we'd be anticipating multiple new Batman movies starring Michael Keaton. That we might actually get to see Keaton's Batman leading the Justice League against Darkseid or some other cosmic threat!

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Tue, 15 Feb  2022, 19:57

I assumed as much. Back when they made the Burton/Schumacher movies, the filmmakers employed doubles and stand-ins for practically every shot where you didn't clearly see the lead actor's face. It makes sense to continue that approach now in light of Keaton's age.

Tue, 15 Feb 2022, 21:32 #53 Last Edit: Tue, 15 Feb 2022, 21:35 by DocLathropBrown
Straight from the Gotham Globe, a look at (young) Keaton's new suit...

I'm a little bit torn--they messed with perfection... but it's still miles better than Pattinson's suit for me.

It seems to keep the basic design elements of the Returns suit, but updated with some extra linework, shoulder and knee plates and a redesigned utility belt (though keeping the buckle design prettymuch). The cowl looks a little like a cross between the '89 and the Returns. The only thing I actively dislike is the way the neck/collar bone design crosses out so far on either side. Looks kinda ugly.
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

Quote from: DocLathropBrown on Tue, 15 Feb  2022, 21:32
Straight from the Gotham Globe, a look at (young) Keaton's new suit...

I'm a little bit torn--they messed with perfection... but it's still miles better than Pattinson's suit for me.

It seems to keep the basic design elements of the Returns suit, but updated with some extra linework, shoulder and knee plates and a redesigned utility belt (though keeping the buckle design prettymuch). The cowl looks a little like a cross between the '89 and the Returns. The only thing I actively dislike is the way the neck/collar bone design crosses out so far on either side. Looks kinda ugly.

Taking into account that this is an unofficial spy pic of Keaton's stunt double leaked from the set, I'm happy with how the costume looks. Obviously we need to see what it looks like on Keaton himself, with proper lighting and a clearer view, before we can judge it properly. But based on this preview, it appears to be a solid evolution of his earlier batsuits and hasn't deviated too far from the BR design. My only real criticism is that I would have preferred a yellow/gold belt instead of a black one. Other than that, I'm happy with it.

WB really needs to get it in gear and release an official pic as soon as possible. Everyone's already seen what the costume looks like now, and these leaked images are never as flattering as the official photos.

Tue, 15 Feb 2022, 22:41 #55 Last Edit: Tue, 15 Feb 2022, 22:44 by Gotham Knight

My thoughts are:

I like it, but it has the feel of 'we messed with it just enough so that it is legally different enough so we can sell you some new merchandise.'

Tue, 15 Feb 2022, 22:51 #56 Last Edit: Tue, 15 Feb 2022, 22:53 by Gotham Knight
Here are some sharper images.

The cowl looks awesome.

I could do without some of the extra lines on the body, but I guess that sort of busy design is par for the course with modern superhero costumes. One online source is claiming that this is the same suit Keaton wears in The Flash.

Here are a couple more shots from the scene with Gordon.

Meanwhile Keaton was photographed disembarking from a private jet in Scotland.

My guess is the film opens with a prologue.

Gotham City circa the year 1998-2000.

Gordon has a manhunt going for an serial arsonist calling himself the Firefly, who attempts to murder the Gordon family in retaliation. Mrs. Gordon is killed, maybe Firefly goons attempt to finish Babs and Jim, but BATMAN.

The suit looks more or less how I thought it would. Differences from the Burton suit while retaining the general aesthetic. Overall, I like it. I thought the belt could've been black based on the previous set photos. And it is. Kilmer's belt was black, so that's definitely the direction the 90s trended with or without Keaton.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue, 15 Feb  2022, 21:23
The bloody batsuit in The Flash trailer suggests a violent encounter of some significance, which could well have been a beat down delivered by a younger stronger adversary. It might not be – maybe he was just shot or injured in a car crash – but the way the suit has been discarded on the floor is strongly evocative of the second chapter of The Dark Knight Returns.
I like the idea the damage comes from a heavy duty villain, but Keaton barely survives the ordeal and uses the remote control Batmobile to escape back to the cave ala TDK Returns. Which could also provide a counterpoint to B89's Decent into Mystery.