Batgirl (2022)

Started by johnnygobbs, Thu, 30 Mar 2017, 17:48

Previous topic - Next topic
The only good thing about this costume is the cowl. Everything else looks crap. I know this is based on how Batgirl looks in the comics these days, but like nearly every costume in all of DC movies nowadays, it looks so cheap. So many people have compared it to the CW, and with good reason.

Unsurprisingly, I saw one disingenuous comment calling people criticising the costume sexist because it lacked of a bra cup and corset. Because of course the criticism has to be fueled by sexism, it couldn't possibly be because there are a lot of people who think costume looks low budget. Expect more people like her - AND the studio - to go along with this narrative to push back against any backlash for this movie. Which is a recurring theme among film discourse within the last five years.

I say the B&R and early 2000s Birds of Prey costume looks better because at least it looked high budget for its time. Compared to this new costume, they still do.

The Batgirl directors must be sensitive to the criticism because they posted this picture on Instagram.

How convenient they happened to release the Batgirl image on the day when Ray Fisher called Geoff Johns a racist and #BoycottWB was trending on Twitter...but oh well, I've already spoken enough about that. Maybe the next time Fisher and the fans express their distaste, Warner Butchers can release a first look of Keaton in the Batsuit in their next attempt at damage control.

Speaking of Keaton, this Batgirl reveal is yet another indicator this will be a new timeline, because this costume certainly would look out of place in the Burtonverse. If Bruce Wayne is still active as Batman in this timeline, let's hope they reuse the Bob Ringwood costume instead of redesigning something cheaper.

So, so bad.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Huh. So, is Anarky going to be in this thing? Must have missed that announcement.

Here are some location pics. The Gotham Globe logo on the sign in this first image matches the one in B89 and BR.

These next images evoke the wintery Gotham of Batman Returns.

Here are some more pics of Grace in the costume. The release of the first official costume pic was clearly timed in anticipation of these appearing online.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue, 18 Jan  2022, 17:32
Huh. So, is Anarky going to be in this thing? Must have missed that announcement.
I really like Anarky, especially the early version from the comics. His use in Arkham Origins is excellent, and Beware The Batman isn't too bad either. I like that he's a young kid, but could be assumed to be an adult, thus being a mirror to Robin in a way. The themes of Anarky are highly relevant to the now: the power of propaganda as entertainment, Government being owned by corporations, believing in choice, the fat cats at the top and and people not thinking or questioning anything. The best villains are characters you can somewhat agree with.

From Anarky's POV, Batman should be able to see the problems as well as him. But when he doesn't, or simply disagrees with his methods, Batman becomes just another adult bully telling people what to do. Really interesting dynamic. So if Anarky ever does get used, hopefully they can exploit these types of themes.

As for Batgirl, these images do pique my curiosity in terms of aesthetics. It seems like they're going to some effort to create a Burtonesque atmosphere with the snow and certain iconography. I believe this movie will effectively serve as Keaton's main Beyond project, mentoring his replacement. Throwing in some flashbacks to Keaton's decision to retire would be a wise decision, either in this movie or The Flash.

I think this is the best image of the Batgirl costume so far. I imagine the darker lighting here is indicative of how it will appear on screen.

Located among Gotham's various shops and businesses is Avant-Garde, which appears to be an art gallery.

This could be the perfect place to plant a Vicki Vale Easter egg.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Wed, 19 Jan  2022, 16:46
Located among Gotham's various shops and businesses is Avant-Garde, which appears to be an art gallery.

This could be the perfect place to plant a Vicki Vale Easter egg.

As always, nice catch.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Sat, 29 Jan 2022, 02:38 #38 Last Edit: Sat, 29 Jan 2022, 03:01 by The Laughing Fish
I said many times Warner Butchers will continue to use identity politics as a PR shield to cover up bad PR surrounding Cyborg and JL and other cultural issues, and that's exactly what they are doing with this casting:

https://thehill.com/changing-america/enrichment/arts-culture/591443-batgirl-casts-first-openly-trans-character-to-appear

Expect anti-SJWs to complain Batgirl is going woke, when they are too stupid to realise Warner is using such dirty tactics to avoid taking any accountability for their gross mismanagement.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Don't have access to them right now, but be on the lookout for pics from the Batgirl set of Keaton as BATMAN. Yes, as BATMAN.