Batgirl (2022)

Started by johnnygobbs, Thu, 30 Mar 2017, 17:48

Previous topic - Next topic
Thu, 30 Mar 2017, 17:48 Last Edit: Sat, 15 Jan 2022, 18:26 by Silver Nemesis
Looks like Joss Whedon is going to be part of the DCEU.  He will be making a solo Batgirl movie:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/394175-breaking-joss-whedon-to-direct-batgirl-movie

Hmm, I don't know about you guys but I'm not sure I want to give my money to Whedon.  If anyone's ever read his Tweets (the one where he attacked Nicole Kidman and compared her to a Thunderbirds puppet simply for stating that the US had to move on and accept Trump as their President was particularly mean and unwarranted), you'll probably agree that he's got a few screws loose...

Then again, I know how loyal, even rabid, some of you guys are with respect to the DCEU.  Good for you, I guess.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Fri, 31 Mar 2017, 02:01 #2 Last Edit: Fri, 31 Mar 2017, 02:07 by thecolorsblend
This was unexpected.

01- I am boycotting Joss Whedon.
02- I am committed to seeing all things Batman-related in the DCEU.

I cannot continue doing both, it seems. One or the other will have to be violated if he directs this movie.

It would appear that I have found myself in a dilemma.

Fri, 31 Mar 2017, 10:39 #3 Last Edit: Fri, 31 Mar 2017, 10:41 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri, 31 Mar  2017, 02:01
This was unexpected.

01- I am boycotting Joss Whedon.
02- I am committed to seeing all things Batman-related in the DCEU.

I cannot continue doing both, it seems. One or the other will have to be violated if he directs this movie.

It would appear that I have found myself in a dilemma.
Sure, it expands Batfleck's supporting cast, but I'm not jumping out of my seat to see a Batgirl movie. Especially one directed by this individual. Some things you can forgive and forget. Some things you just can't.

Whedon likened Ivanka Trump to a dog - I guess he only only supports women if they share his views. He also said her husband was Voldemort in training. Whedon said speaker Paul Ryan should be killed by a rhino because that would be funny. He called Vice President Pence a 'loathsome swine'. And of course he mocked Kidman and then said the democratically elected president 'cannot be allowed a term in office.'

The guy represents everything wrong with the unhinged left. What do these comments achieve except putting him on the receiving end of a backlash?

Honestly, Batgirl isn't a big deal for me. I didn't expect it or ask for it.

Girlbusters
Ocean's 8
Gotham City Sirens
Batgirl

Notice a trend here?

What would Whedon, this so called feminist, say and do if he found out Batgirl voted Republican? I guess he'd say she betrayed the sisterhood and should be killed, because that'd be funny. I just don't like the guy and it's a shame the DCEU is looking to get him to direct one of their films.

Interesting choice if true, a quippy Batgirl could work. The DCEU continues to give women - both good and bad - the spotlight.

I like the first Avengers movie, but Whedon seems like an idiot. I thought he would've learned some humility given the fact that he was chased out of Twitter for a while after SJWs condemned him for the way he wrote Black Widow in Age of Ultron.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Fri, 31 Mar  2017, 10:58
Interesting choice if true, a quippy Batgirl could work. The DCEU continues to give women - both good and bad - the spotlight.

I like the first Avengers movie, but Whedon seems like an idiot. I thought he would've learned some humility given the fact that he was chased out of Twitter for a while after SJWs condemned him for the way he wrote Black Widow in Age of Ultron.
Indeed.

But this is a man who claims to be a 'feminist', whilst body-shaming actresses and attacking women simply for who their father is.  Maybe it's just me, but I've never believed that calling a woman a 'dog' is particularly compatible with feminism.

Still, I'm curious what Whedon makes of former 'Buffy' and 'Firefly' colleagues/stars like Sarah Michelle Gellar and Adam Baldwin, seeing as both of them are vocal Republicans.  Admittedly, SMG did not support Trump, but she is still clearly a political conservative and thus everything Whedon regularly attacks (as most of you know, I am also a liberal, but it's not Whedon's political views I object to, many of which I share, but the mean-spirited, nasty, and hypocritical way he expresses himself, particularly on social media - it seems he is the essence of the 'illiberal liberal' who cannot countenance anyone who doesn't share the exact same POV as himself).
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Hmmm ... sounds like we're going to get a Marvel Studios Batgirl movie.

A snarky, quippy, spunky Barbara Gordon battling, oh I don't know, Killer Moth or somebody, all while the film evoking the idea of lightheartedness and fun!

Which really doesn't make a ton of narrative sense if we're still in a DCEU that started with MOS, and was further elaborated upon with a decidedly Frank Miller DKR influence with, BvS. To me, a Batgirl movie based within the DCEU would not be looking at the New52 stuff, along with the addition of Whedonisms (Oh boy!), but rather, it would revolve around Babs as Oracle training the new Batgirl (probably Cassandra Cain) with flashbacks to Babs as the first Batgirl.

Oh well. Outside of his Astonishing X-Men run, I can't say I find Whedon anyone to get overly excited about.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

See, the thing about that is that the Babs Batgirl book from just before Rebirth was supposedly pretty cool. As you say, a fun and relatively light superhero title.

The DCEU looks to be taking an overall lighter direction, if the Justice League trailer is anything to go by. A lighter, spunkier, fun Batgirl movie could be a good fit with where the DCEU is headed.

Well, WB deciding that the DCEU would benefit by going with a lighter, fun & less controversial direction following all the complaining, was to be expected. Just how much lighter and fun the DCEU decides to go with in spite of the more serious/darker/somber foundation that was established by MOS/BvS is something of a concern. This was something the New52 version of Batgirl didn't have to be concerned with. Cause the overall direction of the New52 continuity/history was all over the place.

Wonder Woman seems to be keeping the faith, while JL is a wait and see. If anything, the emulating of the Marvel Studios product is (hopefully) kept to a minimum. A Whedon Babs "fun" Batgirl movie seems anything but.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Not interested in anything Whedon has to say about anything and not excited for the movie itself but, looking at the bigger picture, if it helps the cause of the DCEU, then it's a welcome addition.