Carrey's Riddler

Started by The Dark Knight, Tue, 4 Nov 2008, 07:56

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: DarkVengeance on Fri,  7 Nov  2008, 18:50Agreed it could've worked, but not anywhere as good as what Eckhart did, IMO he is the definitive Two-Face!
That isn't saying much though.  His competition if Jones.

I always got the feeling that Jones was trying to compete more with Nicholson than Carrey in BF. But it just came off cheap ,silly and goofy. He should have approached it fresh and not try to compete or outdo anyother Batman actors.
That said, I cant see how B&R is a better film than BF. Thats inconcievable. Jones just fitted into that lighter tone of the whole film. He couldnt have played it darker.

Arron Ackhart is a different case all together in a different type of film in a different era, just like ledger. Ackhart you could say played Harvey Dent more than Two-Face. I thought his perfomance was well over looked and stood up strongly with the rest of the actors. But because of the final third of the film, which I feel is very weak and crowded and rushed, his character suffered. He should not have died either.

Tommy Lee Jones had no idea as to what Two Face's character was. He was playing the Joker, not Two Face.

In the special features, he said that he did not research the character at all, and the only thing that he needed to use was the theme of duality. So, in his case, the dark side - which he plays to the hilt as goofy over the top, and the light side which is pretty much the same.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat,  8 Nov  2008, 05:13
Quote from: DarkVengeance on Fri,  7 Nov  2008, 18:50Agreed it could've worked, but not anywhere as good as what Eckhart did, IMO he is the definitive Two-Face!
That isn't saying much though.  His competition if Jones.
Whats your point? If you read comics and recent graphic novels and cant say that Eckhart is the best definitive version, then theres something wrong!

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

Quote from: DarkVengeance on Sat,  8 Nov  2008, 19:06
then theres something wrong!

Not really. While the best made so far (On Film, with only Jones' as competition), I found Eckhart's Dent stiff and trying too hard for the 'off the cuff' charm. Personally I think the Definitive Harvey Two Face was on the Animated Series.

Eckhart's Two Face was brilliant. Very close indeed to the graphic novels. Lucky he died, because he wouldn't have been able to hold a story on his own once he got his revege for Rachael.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat,  8 Nov  2008, 13:28
Tommy Lee Jones had no idea as to what Two Face's character was. He was playing the Joker, not Two Face.

I don't know about that Jack played a perfect Joker not a goofball, And i have heard people say that he didn't like being upstaged by Carrey.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat,  8 Nov  2008, 13:28
In the special features, he said that he did not research the character at all, and the only thing that he needed to use was the theme of duality. So, in his case, the dark side - which he plays to the hilt as goofy over the top, and the light side which is pretty much the same.

How could he do that what a utter fool, he had perfect and still so far most accurate Two-Face on a little show called BTAS.

Quote from: Sandman on Sun,  9 Nov  2008, 23:47
How could he do that what a utter fool, he had perfect and still so far most accurate Two-Face on a little show called BTAS.
Bingo.  In terms of adaptations, BTAS's Two Face remains top dog.

Quote from: Sandman on Sun,  9 Nov  2008, 23:47
I don't know about that Jack played a perfect Joker not a goofball
I wasn't talking about Nicholson, I was talking in general terms.

And yes, I agree that BTAS has a killer Two Face.

QuoteI wasn't talking about Nicholson, I was talking in general terms
Oh my bad.