Brother-Eye Interviews Batman Forever's Janet Scott Batchler

Started by BatmAngelus, Sat, 28 Nov 2009, 03:22

Previous topic - Next topic
Great interview, BatmAngelus!

It's funny, but there are so many different rumours concerning Burton's third Batman movie and none of them seem to have any basis beyond speculation.

This interview is the only factual document on the subject. The only other insight we have into what the film might have been like are quotes from Keaton about what he wanted to do with the third one (or more accurately, what he didn't want to do) and the Riddler concept art Tim Burton's alleged to have drawn. Has anyone actually seen that picture by the way?

My favourite unsubstantiated rumour comes from Brad Dourif's Wikipedia page:
QuoteDourif was cast as The Scarecrow in Batman Forever, while Tim Burton was attached to the project. However, Joel Schumacher eventually took over the project, and instead cast Tommy Lee Jones as Two-Face and Jim Carrey as The Riddler.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Dourif

I would've loved to have seen Burton's take on Scarecrow. And Dourif would have been pretty good in the role, though I personally would have preferred to see Goldblum play the part.

Extreme necropost, but I actually just stumbled upon this article by chance, and she comes across as nothing but likable and agreeable when it comes to adapting the Dark Knight.

Joel Schumacher was good, but he couldn't do everything himself. Batchler was one of the people who really helped him along the way, and even fought him on a few things (of which I'm in agreement with). The one problem I have with Batman Forever is just Two-Face... though unfortunately, that is a rather big part of the movie. This was Riddler's movie, and he should have had the spotlight. The two villains thing was now becoming a gimmick, sadly. If you ask me, I'd say switch Two-Face out with Boss Zucco; the rest of the role would be easier to downsize. Even Robin's family's death would be less abrupt if carried out in more of a mob fashion like it originally was. I do agree with Schumacher that it was high time for Robin to be introduced, though.

One of the more interesting things was that Robin's brother was actually introduced out of necessity after actually consulting a circus performer. I also like to hear when someone has a background with the comics. I don't expect encyclopedic knowledge, but it's nice when someone "gets it" to begin with. The research was also commendable; while Chase was probably the weakest of Bruce's girls, she still brought something interesting to the table.

Anyways, it seems like what Batman 3 could have been is one of the most eager questions we all have. This interview actually provides some insight.