Carrey's Riddler

Started by The Dark Knight, Tue, 4 Nov 2008, 07:56

Previous topic - Next topic
What are your thoughts on Jim Carrey's portrayal of The Riddler?

Tue, 4 Nov 2008, 08:02 #1 Last Edit: Wed, 5 Nov 2008, 00:05 by Sandman
Im pretty mixed on him. I've never hated it, but i thought it could have done better, but it did fit with the tone of the movie.

Riddler is my favourite Batman villain, so I'm a bit easy on him. He did fine with what he was given, and given the tone of the film I think.

I love Carrey and in 1995 he was the perfect choice.

In retrospect some of his stuff was campy and OTT.  Yes he did steal the screen from TLJ but only because he was entertaining.

He was hired to do a specific job - be himself and homage Frank Gorshin to an extent.

Exactly.

I'm glad he wasn't killed off either.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue,  4 Nov  2008, 11:08
Exactly.

I'm glad he wasn't killed off either.

Can you image the outrage if he was?  People loved the Riddler!

Yeah, they did. He was a funny, eccentric guy. Who managed to break into the batcave and destroy it. One of the biggest impacts made on Batman in the series. Don't under-estimate Riddler!

I'm mixed. On the one hand I really dug the obsessive WE Employee, on the other hand the constant one liners and overall attempt to treat it like one of his comedy vehicles drives me insane. That and I think Carrey's overall acting method of going big (over acting) all the time unless his director keeps him under control makes me ultimately feel like he shouldn't have been even considered for the role unless Shumacher was going to keep him from bouncing off the walls.

Hated it. It was Jim Carrey being Ace Ventura in green spandex. Didnt like the lipstick and makeup. Didnt like the hair. The animated series made Riddler a serious villain. Forever tore that down.

"Was that over the top? I can never tell."

Yes, Jim, it was. >:(

Yeah Riddler is also my favorite Batman villain so that or call it abit of nostalgia or whatever you want, but i just can't hate him.

But i was never big on the spandex or the way his hair kept going from long to short to long to short lol. But all in all i agree im glad he didn't die and i did love his ending "IM BATMAN".