Carrey's Riddler

Started by The Dark Knight, Tue, 4 Nov 2008, 07:56

Previous topic - Next topic
Wed, 5 Nov 2008, 03:14 #10 Last Edit: Wed, 5 Nov 2008, 03:21 by batass4880
Overall, I thought he was Jim Carrey, not the Riddler. The only part of the film that I liked alot was at the end in his lair. He seemed somewhat scarry, demented and dangerous. I loved Frank Gorshin's version but I would've preferred to see a professional cheater like in the comics or a serious intellectual like the animated series. I also didn't care for the spandex either, even if that was the first costume that he wore in the comic book. The tie, jacket and bowler hat is how he should have been. I think that image of him was started by the Adam West show.

The only thing I really did like about Carrey's Riddler was his Gorshin homage, which was pretty evident other than that I didnt really enjoy his portrayal of the character that much at all!

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

I don't really like the spandex he wears, I like my Riddler to be in a smart suit. That's one of my few criticisms.

Yea i agree, he was wearing a pretty good suit at the start, but then the spandex just came out of nowhere.

I think Carrey's crappy Riddler might've aged better if Jones had given a more nuanced and menacing performance instead of trying to out-goofy Jim Carrey.  (A) Nobody can out-goofy that dillhole and (B) even if they could, Two Face ain't the character to try it with.

This is one reason why, in some ways, B&R is actually a better movie than BF.  B&R knew it was a stupid, pointless movie and never tried to be anything but that.  BF, on the other hand, harbored superficial ambitions towards a more serious type of filmmaking... starring two idiotic clowns as the villains.  Pathetic...

Indeed, I did not understand why Tommy Lee was trying to compete with Carrey in the lunacy stakes just for the sake of it. That just is not Two Face at all.

Same, Tommy Lee Jones is a fantasic actor that could have been one of the best Two-Face's, but for some reason he acted like that. Carrey was already doing the silly Villian there was no need for him to do it aswell.

And this was after BTAS so it's not like he didn't have a good Two-Face to study off.

The real character of Two-Face would not have fit in Scumachers bright and colorful Gotham at all, we saw the real TF in TDK and im glad we finally got a real accurate portrayal!

Well i don't know how "accurate" he was to the orignal, but he has got to be nolan's best villain..thus far.

Sure it was a action/family movie it doesn't mean Two-face has to jump round and yell like a kid on a suger rush. He still could have been an angry evil Two-face without breaking the type of movie they where making.

Quote from: Sandman on Thu,  6 Nov  2008, 22:13
Well i don't know how "accurate" he was to the orignal, but he has got to be nolan's best villain..thus far.

Sure it was a action/family movie it doesn't mean Two-face has to jump round and yell like a kid on a suger rush. He still could have been an angry evil Two-face without breaking the type of movie they where making.
Agreed it could've worked, but not anywhere as good as what Eckhart did, IMO he is the definitive Two-Face!