Arkham Asylum Video Game

Started by The Dark Knight, Thu, 14 Aug 2008, 10:02

Previous topic - Next topic
I cannot stand the character designs, though. There's just something ugly about them. And the Joker design is, obviously, atrocious, but Batman is kind of ugly as well.

Can't say I'm crazy about the plot. I'd prefer to see something more overarching than just "the inmates take over Arkham" with the Joker as the main villain, yet again.

And Conroy and Hamill's voices just don't fit with those character designs, if you ask me. Casting them was just fan service, as I don't think their voices fit into this game.

Anyone else notice how much older Hamill's voice sounds? He's got this older rasp now that he didn't have when he started off doing the Joker over 10 years ago. So sad. :(

Aside from those things, I will definitiely pick up the game (tell he there's alternate costumes/skins for Batman and the Joker!), and it looks like they're keeping the successful elements from the Batman Begins video game that worked brilliantly, like the stealth and the intimidation/fear stuff.
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

Quote from: DocLathropBrown on Sat, 14 Mar  2009, 17:08
I cannot stand the character designs, though. There's just something ugly about them. And the Joker design is, obviously, atrocious, but Batman is kind of ugly as well.

Can't say I'm crazy about the plot. I'd prefer to see something more overarching than just "the inmates take over Arkham" with the Joker as the main villain, yet again.

And Conroy and Hamill's voices just don't fit with those character designs, if you ask me. Casting them was just fan service, as I don't think their voices fit into this game.

Anyone else notice how much older Hamill's voice sounds? He's got this older rasp now that he didn't have when he started off doing the Joker over 10 years ago. So sad. :(

Aside from those things, I will definitiely pick up the game (tell he there's alternate costumes/skins for Batman and the Joker!), and it looks like they're keeping the successful elements from the Batman Begins video game that worked brilliantly, like the stealth and the intimidation/fear stuff.

Completey agree on the voice/designs. Both voices have aged considerably and don't mesh with what the visuals present.

Sun, 15 Mar 2009, 02:24 #32 Last Edit: Sun, 15 Mar 2009, 11:42 by Dark Knight Detective
I don't see anything seriously wrong w/ the game so far, except I'm not really into the raggedy clothes, wild hairstyle, & the Glasgow Grin that the Joker has. And while I like the batsuit, bring on the "New Look" (Adams or Breyfogle styled) & a Keaton'ish batsuit as alternate costumes!

Other than that, the game itself looks promising. I look forward to playing it.

This new trailer looks awesome,  I'm loving the stealth aspects. And the recently released box art looks great.

Yeah, I'm relly excited about this game, even if I would be much more excited for a TDK game... ::)
Batman Arkham Asylum: The Batman game the fans were waiting for.

Quote from: Dark Knight Detective on Sun, 15 Mar  2009, 02:24
I don't see anything seriously wrong w/ the game so far, except I'm not really into the raggedy clothes, wild hairstyle, & the Glasgow Grin that the Joker has. !

I agree 100%

Jon Brooke, Eidos' head of publishing in the U.K says:

"We expect Batman: Arkham Asylum to not only be the biggest game of the summer but one of the stand-out games of the year."

"It's as close to perfect as we've ever come, it looks amazing, plays beautifully and has a rich twisting storyline with enormous replayability. I'm confident enough to say that it will set a new benchmark for licensed games and it's going to establish itself as one of our best games ever."

http://blog.wired.com/games/2009/04/eidos-batman-ar.html

Fri, 17 Apr 2009, 12:28 #37 Last Edit: Fri, 17 Apr 2009, 12:34 by silenig
Some of us cannot stress enough what an important part the soundtrack plays in an entertainment experience. LEGO BATMAN worked so well because it had Danny Elfman music. Replace it with generic Immediate Music-inspired sounds, it becomes unplayable.

I hope the game has a proper orchestral score like many modern games tend to do (e.g. John Debney's Lair/PS3 which is a actually MOVIE score that happens to accompany a game, or Giacchino's Medal of Honor series) or at least cues lifted from Hans Zimmer's BB and TDK scores. Batman Begins had a very pedestrian and bland soundtrack and they were stupid for not acquiring the rights (it's copyright issues I guess) to use Zimmer's tracks.

From what I've heard from the gameplay videos, I gather the score will be similar to the that of BB and TDK. Basically atmosphere and tension music, no clear Batman theme.

Well, it would d be foolish to expect Elfman themes :)

I meant a proper orchestral score and not some generic video game blandess (like the non-existent music of the Batman Begins game, too bad they didn't use Zimmer's themes). Either an original work that does justice to the atmosphere this game seems to go after, or, better, reused/edited cues from Zimmer's scores that seem to work nicely with the vision of this game (very unlikely, though).

Maybe I'm too anal when it comes to soundtracks, but a film or a game can feel ten times better if it has an effective score :P