Arkham Asylum Video Game

Started by The Dark Knight, Thu, 14 Aug 2008, 10:02

Previous topic - Next topic
Eidos Interactive and Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment on behalf of DC Comics announce Batman: Arkham Asylum, a dark, action-packed videogame adventure for Xbox 360(R) video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PLAYSTATION(R)3 computer entertainment system and Games for Windows in 2009.

In Batman: Arkham Asylum, developed by Rocksteady Studios, the player assumes the role of Batman as he delivers The Joker to Arkham Asylum. There, the imprisoned super-villains have set a trap and an immersive combat gaming experience unfolds. With an original script penned by Emmy Award-winning Batman writer Paul Dini, the game brings the universe of DC Comics' detective to life with stunning graphics.

"In Batman: Arkham Asylum Eidos and Warner Bros. are building a true action adventure game experience worthy of gamers and fans," said Phil Rogers, CEO of Eidos Interactive. "Players become Batman, like he has never been seen before in a video game, as he fights through intense circumstances in Arkham Asylum utilizing his intuitive detective skills and aggressive melee attacks."

"Batman: Arkham Asylum offers players the chance to battle Gotham's worst villains with Batman's physical and psychological strength in a graphically distinct and story-driven game," said Martin Tremblay, President, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. "We look forward to working with Eidos on expanding DC Comics' world-renowned character Batman in the game space with a noticeably different feature set in an incredibly dark interactive environment."

Eidos Interactive and Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment will co-publish Batman: Arkham Asylum in North America, Eidos Interactive will publish the game in all other territories.

I'm loving the sound of this. A dark, detective based Batman game.

The website is counting down to something:
http://www.rocksteadyltd.com/

I have been watching this for the past week. looks good, but it may end up like dark tomorrow.

May not be, too. Sounds promising this game. I'll be interested in the graphical style. The graphic novel Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on a Serious Earth, has a very similar likeness to Ledger's Joker. It'll be interesting to see if this video game follows any of that narrative or appearance.

Thu, 14 Aug 2008, 12:56 #3 Last Edit: Thu, 14 Aug 2008, 13:03 by silenig
I hope they:

- Keep it simple and responsive. Game mechanics that work and don't frustrate the player. Camera angles that help. Changing weapons/gadgets/attack modes as well as the lock-on shouldn't be a chore. This usually fails if they try to cram in too much (e.g. the cuffs in Dark Tomorrow)

- Varied backgrounds. I fear there's a chance we'll see a long series of dimly lit corridors and street alleys, like all 3D Batman games that came before. They can borrow visual elements and locales from many Gotham Cities from the comics and the cartoons, and show some creativity. Some games like God of War or Assassin's Creed are excellent because their backgrounds have personality and aren't simply a series of caverns and streets. I know this is asking too much, since most players are fine with boring looking games, as long as there is some violence in them.

- Music. Now here's asking really too much. I hoped they'll use Zimmer's TDK themes and music, or at least hire a real pro to have music with a film quality like the excellent score for PS3's Lair, where John Debney actually composed new and interesting themes played by full orchestra, for a... game.

Yes, I hope we get some outside environments and it is not totally set indoors at Arkham.

I hope there are few if any movie tie ins since they'll all be from tdk or bb.

Dark Tomorrow was a kick ass game. The camera just sucked.
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

Wow bout time we get a new Batman game. I just hope it doesn't end up a reptitive platform game kinda like begins did.

I wonder if this is being made instead of making a TDK game?.

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Thu, 14 Aug  2008, 15:34
I hope there are few if any movie tie ins since they'll all be from tdk or bb.

Yea does this have anything todo with Nolan and his new Batman series or is it just going to relate to the comic?

Quote from: Sandman on Fri, 15 Aug  2008, 23:36
Yea does this have anything todo with Nolan and his new Batman series or is it just going to relate to the comic?
No, this game is not connected to the films.

And, considering the finale of TDK, with Batman on the run from the police after taking the responsibility for a dead Two Face's deeds - definitely not. I couldn't see Batman calmly delivering Joker to Arkham as this game says considering that scenario.