Batgirl (2022)

Started by johnnygobbs, Thu, 30 Mar 2017, 17:48

Previous topic - Next topic
You know, I remember reading Batgirl played a key role in the Batfleck script. If only Emmerich, Tsujihara and Johns left things alone, a cinematic Batgirl would've made her debut four or so years ago.

Sigh.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed,  3 Aug  2022, 14:47
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed,  3 Aug  2022, 11:06
Now Syl and Sutton have hinted that Flash will be the next movie to get shelved.
Got links for those? I'm sort of curious.

If WBD cans The Flash... I just can't even. That would be massive. So, I'd like to see those Syl and Sutton sources, thx.

It may appear hearsay at this point in time, but Syl started expressing some uncertainty about Flash's release hours several hours after claiming the film was being tweaked (wtf?!)...

https://twitter.com/sylabdul_inc/status/1554654788473716741

...and expressed doubts even further here.
https://twitter.com/sylabdul_inc/status/1554702737597775872

Sutton went onto a fan livestream discussing Batgirl's cancellation and warned everyone "don't get too attached to the flash movie" on this timestamp.

I repeat, it may appear hearsay. But after Syl's Batfleck Aquaman scoop and Sutton saying his sources were telling him that Batgirl was awful before it got canned, their sources may be closer to the truth. It's funny, my reaction to Sutton on the DC side of things waned a bit when he incorrectly scooped Batfleck would appear in Batgirl. But with these latest tidbits, my curiosity has regained quite a bit. He also correctly scooped that Flash's release date was getting delayed back in January, although he didn't seem to know anything about Ezra Miller's problems. That either means the old regime were keeping Miller's alleged on-set meltdowns under wraps, or those rumours were bullsh*t.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Wed,  3 Aug  2022, 14:50
For anyone who's interested, here are some details about Keaton's role in Batgirl according to leaks. I don't suppose there's any point marking this as SPOILERS, but I'll put it in white anyway in case anyone's holding out hope for the movie's release.

Keaton appears in five scenes altogether.

The first scene is the one we saw them filming earlier in the year with J K Simmons. Batman appears and saves Gordon from a gang of criminals. This is a flashback scene in which Keaton is digitally de-aged.

The second scene takes place in the present where Bruce Wayne is attending a party. Some terrorists arrive and try to assassinate him, but they're foiled by Barbara who happens to be dressed in a Batgirl suit for Halloween (this harkens back to her costumed debut in the comics). Bruce takes note of Barbara's actions and is concerned.

The third scene sees Batman showing up in the Batmobile and accosting Batgirl on the streets of Gotham. He gets out of the car and warns her not to continue her costumed antics or her actions will get people killed.

The fourth scene has Batman showing up at Batgirl's hideout to give her some important information about the case she's investigating.

The final scene has Batman and Batgirl talking on a rooftop and agreeing to work together. He gives her a new costume and they both leap off a gargoyle. Then the credits roll.

According to leaks, this is what Keaton's role amounted to. It was bigger than his role in Aquaman II, but smaller than his role in The Flash. At no point in the movie does he train Batgirl, which suggests the rumours of this being a Batman Beyond substitute were false. The rumours of Dick Grayson/Nightwing appearing are also said to have been false.

Thanks for posting that abridged version of Keaton's "Batgirl" participation. Pretty much all that I was honestly interested in with "Batgirl" to begin with.

QuoteWe'll just have to consign this film to the same cinematic netherworld (I suggest we call it Earth-86) as Superman Lives and Justice League: Mortal. Only in this case, the movie was actually shot and in the late stages of postproduction. Think about that – somewhere, in some vault at WB, there's a complete Michael Keaton Batman film that we'll possibly never see.

Yeah, still pretty crazy to think about. Absolutely. Also, with another movie, "Scoob" was apparently pretty much finished as well. However, WBD felt it was worth more as a $80m tax writeoff than just-going-ahead-and releasing, which is kinda nuts. Paul Dini, who was a co-writer on that film, was fully baffled by that.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Wed,  3 Aug  2022, 16:31Also, with another movie, "Scoob" was apparently pretty much finished as well. However, WBD felt it was worth more as a $80m tax writeoff than just-going-ahead-and releasing, which is kinda nuts. Paul Dini, who was a co-writer on that film, was fully baffled by that.
It was a sequel to Scoob. But same difference, honestly. And this one is even more baffling since the sequel (A) was largely completed and (B) was set for streaming. In today's world, it's well and good to prioritize theatrical releases. But in the end, you've got to keep streaming in mind.

Cancelling Batgirl makes a certain amount of sense from a branding standpoint.

But cancelling the Scoob sequel (however awful the first one might've been) is incomprehensible to me. I simply do not understand the business strategy going on here. I have to believe that there IS one. But this business with the Scoob sequel just doesn't add up for me at all.

WBD/Zaslov is alienating people. Now, there are only so many movie studios in Hollywood. So, nobody can afford to harbor too many hard feelings. But still, you want to stay on positive terms with the talent. You could argue that greenlighting a Scoob sequel in the first place was a dumb idea. But at this point in the production pipeline, cancelling it just seems... dumb.

Which is why I want to believe there's a grander strategy going on here that is somehow invisible to me. It's not like I know everything, if any of you have any ideas about this, please share, I'm all ears eyes.

The host Midnight's Edge BELIEVES The Flash will be next at the whipping post. He doesn't cite sources; he just says he thinks it's the most likely outcome.

The Flash no longer has a release date despite testing highly. My worst fear is that Batgirl was cancelled because they no longer intend Keaton to be part of the universe going forward and will be reworking the ending. If that happens, I'm out. Don't really know what else to say.

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Wed,  3 Aug  2022, 21:46
The Flash no longer has a release date despite testing highly. My worst fear is that Batgirl was cancelled because they no longer intend Keaton to be part of the universe going forward and will be reworking the ending. If that happens, I'm out. Don't really know what else to say.
Also,despite James Gunn asserting that Peacemaker was in no danger, apparently it is. In fact, every show on MAX with a DC label is expected to be cancelled. Doom Patrol, Harley Quinn, Peacemaker, everything.

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Wed,  3 Aug  2022, 21:46
The Flash no longer has a release date despite testing highly.
I see June 23, 2023 listed on Wiki at this moment. Not saying you're wrong. Just saying that, at the very least, the film's Wikipedia hasn't been edited yet.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed,  3 Aug  2022, 16:56
Quote from: The Joker on Wed,  3 Aug  2022, 16:31Also, with another movie, "Scoob" was apparently pretty much finished as well. However, WBD felt it was worth more as a $80m tax writeoff than just-going-ahead-and releasing, which is kinda nuts. Paul Dini, who was a co-writer on that film, was fully baffled by that.
It was a sequel to Scoob. But same difference, honestly. And this one is even more baffling since the sequel (A) was largely completed and (B) was set for streaming. In today's world, it's well and good to prioritize theatrical releases. But in the end, you've got to keep streaming in mind.

Cancelling Batgirl makes a certain amount of sense from a branding standpoint.

But cancelling the Scoob sequel (however awful the first one might've been) is incomprehensible to me. I simply do not understand the business strategy going on here. I have to believe that there IS one. But this business with the Scoob sequel just doesn't add up for me at all.

WBD/Zaslov is alienating people. Now, there are only so many movie studios in Hollywood. So, nobody can afford to harbor too many hard feelings. But still, you want to stay on positive terms with the talent. You could argue that greenlighting a Scoob sequel in the first place was a dumb idea. But at this point in the production pipeline, cancelling it just seems... dumb.

Which is why I want to believe there's a grander strategy going on here that is somehow invisible to me. It's not like I know everything, if any of you have any ideas about this, please share, I'm all ears eyes.

The Scoob sequel, like Batgirl, was expected to go to HBO Max, but now there is word going around that HBO Max will cease to exist and merge with Discovery Plus. More layoffs on the streaming department is expected to be announced very soon. That could be another reason why both of these movies got canned
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Wed,  3 Aug  2022, 22:08
Also,despite James Gunn asserting that Peacemaker was in no danger, apparently it is. In fact, every show on MAX with a DC label is expected to be cancelled. Doom Patrol, Harley Quinn, Peacemaker, everything.
I am inclined to believe this, especially content connected to the DCEU. I'm thinking anything that was HBO Max bound is getting the boot, which may even include the Reeves Batman projects (Penguin/Arkham). Sun Tzu recommends that military commanders avoid spreading their forces too thin, as that would make an army weaker throughout. Similarly, in your career, if you spread your skills over too many diverse areas, you won't be able to specialize in anything. That may be the mindset here too. Just as long as The Batman 2 continues development.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed,  3 Aug  2022, 22:25
The Scoob sequel, like Batgirl, was expected to go to HBO Max, but now there is word going around that HBO Max will cease to exist and merge with Discovery Plus. More layoffs on the streaming department is expected to be announced very soon. That could be another reason why both of these movies got canned

Yeah, back in the day, the AOL/Time Warner merger was pretty prolific in just how much of a disaster the whole thing wound up being. With the Warners/Discovery merger, way too early for the predictions column, but damn is this one hell of a corporate media shake up!

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."