Justice League Part One....filming underway!

Started by Grissom, Tue, 12 Apr 2016, 15:51

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: johnnygobbs on Wed, 31 Aug  2016, 13:27I read that Joe Manganiello (who played 'Flash Thompson' in the Sam Raimi Spider-Man films) is currently front-runner to play Deathstroke in Affleck's solo Batman movie.

If that is true, I think it's a good pick.  Manganiello is certainly big and ripped enough to pose a physical threat to even Affleck.
I wonder if that's a good consolation prize for him. Word 'round the water cooler is (or was) that Manganiello went through a mini depression when he tried out for Superman for MOS and got pretty far in the process... before realizing the shooting schedule for MOS would conflict with that vampire show he was doing so he had to back out. Too bad, really, he was one of my dark horse candidates to play Superman. Then again, you can't argue the role is in bad hands now, that's for sure. Cavill's awesome and probably the better choice anyway.

Manganiello as Deathstroke? I'll give it a shot.

Deathstroke sounds good to me.

1. It's someone new.
2. It equals an awesome fight.
3. Read the top two points again.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri,  2 Sep  2016, 04:10Deathstroke sounds good to me.

1. It's someone new.
At some point Greg Berlanti got confused and thought he was doing a Batman TV show because a lot of Batmanisms have been tossed into Arrow. Deathstroke has been in there too. I'm okay with it, if for no other reason than deflating a bunch of Deadpool fans who know nothing about comics (but I repeat myself).

Try this for size.

Amanda Waller hires Deathstroke to kill Batman.

Time has passed after the events of Suicide Squad. Waller no longer needs protection from Wayne, and she's disgruntled that the Justice League has been formed. These heroes are going to encroach on her territory. Waller is the corrupt and untrustworthy sort who deletes emails, lies about it and also pockets dirty cash. These secrets need to be protected, and that means Wayne has to die. Just to make sure he says nothing.

It depends on how sizeable Deathstroke's role is, mind you.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri,  2 Sep  2016, 03:02
Word 'round the water cooler is (or was) that Manganiello went through a mini depression when he tried out for Superman for MOS and got pretty far in the process... before realizing the shooting schedule for MOS would conflict with that vampire show he was doing so he had to back out. Too bad, really, he was one of my dark horse candidates to play Superman.

Yep. Prior to Cavill being announced, I recall someone making up a manip of Joe as Superman, with John Byrne commenting that Manganiello was essentially the embodiment of "his" Superman.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri,  2 Sep  2016, 04:10
Deathstroke sounds good to me.

1. It's someone new.

As long as we get a fight scene as good as the Arkham Origins trailer, everything will be perfect.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat,  3 Sep  2016, 00:07
At some point Greg Berlanti got confused and thought he was doing a Batman TV show because a lot of Batmanisms have been tossed into Arrow. Deathstroke has been in there too. I'm okay with it, if for no other reason than deflating a bunch of Deadpool fans who know nothing about comics (but I repeat myself).

Wasn't Deadpool supposed to be a parody of Deathstroke? As a matter of fact, he's traditionally more of a Teen Titans villain, and occasionally a Green Arrow villain if I'm not mistaken.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

The warehouse fight in BvS is the best encounter for the character in live action. Taking on many threats at once at winning. He attaches gadgets to guns that immobilise the users, fires the grappling gun a number of times and throws a batarang. So basically, he's a multi-tasker just like the comics and Arkham games. This Batman fights dirty and breaks bones. But what I really dig, is how grounded it all seems to be even though Batman kicks ass. He's shot in the head twice and gets stabbed in the shoulder. It's not pure smooth sailing. The goons aren't just standing around to be assaulted - they actually shoot at him. But he perseveres and uses this to fuel his crusade.

Imagine that same attention to detail in a one-on-one encounter. Just like that Arkham Origins trailer posted above. Batman and Deathstroke going hammer at tong at one another. I think such a fight could be an opportunity to show why Batman is Batman. What separates him from the contract killers. The mercenaries. What special magic he possesses that has got him over the line the past 20 years. The fight could end much like B89's encounter with Ray Charles.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun,  4 Sep  2016, 13:07
The warehouse fight in BvS is the best encounter for the character in live action. Taking on many threats at once at winning. He attaches gadgets to guns that immobilise the users, fires the grappling gun a number of times and throws a batarang. So basically, he's a multi-tasker just like the comics and Arkham games. This Batman fights dirty and breaks bones. But what I really dig, is how grounded it all seems to be even though Batman kicks ass. He's shot in the head twice and gets stabbed in the shoulder. It's not pure smooth sailing. The goons aren't just standing around to be assaulted - they actually shoot at him. But he perseveres and uses this to fuel his crusade.

Imagine that same attention to detail in a one-on-one encounter. Just like that Arkham Origins trailer posted above. Batman and Deathstroke going hammer at tong at one another. I think such a fight could be an opportunity to show why Batman is Batman. What separates him from the contract killers. The mercenaries. What special magic he possesses that has got him over the line the past 20 years. The fight could end much like B89's encounter with Ray Charles.

I agree, but it's a shame that I see a lot of bandwagon haters dismiss the warehouse scene as "feels shot like a video game". Christ, do we want to return to the dark old days of incoherent and clumsy "fight" scenes again?

But unlike those people, I for one regard the video game comparison as a positive. In this day and age where the technology and costumes are advanced to make the action agile, I really appreciated how tactical Batman's takedowns were. Even how he took down Deadshot from behind in Suicide Squad was another good moment. The combat was top quality, and I liked that he didn't wallow in pain as Bale did. Batfleck got back up on his feet and kept going. It sorta reminded me of a heavily injured Keaton in 1989. His grit and determination transforms him into an unstoppable machine, which is one of the main reasons I get into this character in the first place.

There's no doubt in my mind any action scene involving Deathstroke alone would be just as brutal and exciting as the warehouse scene in BvS.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat,  3 Sep  2016, 03:16Waller is the corrupt and untrustworthy sort who deletes emails, lies about it and also pockets dirty cash.
I see what you did there.

Tue, 6 Sep 2016, 01:12 #19 Last Edit: Tue, 6 Sep 2016, 01:16 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun,  4 Sep  2016, 13:37
I agree, but it's a shame that I see a lot of bandwagon haters dismiss the warehouse scene as "feels shot like a video game". Christ, do we want to return to the dark old days of incoherent and clumsy "fight" scenes again?
Funny Fish, you must understand the times we live in. These days you can give Lois Lane a healthy portion of screen time and make her drive the plot, and the 'critics' will say her role was wasted. Which leaves sensible people scratching their heads. We live in a bizarro world. It's much like the media with their bias, and politicians who are paid up and doing the bidding of everyone but the people. These groups think they speak for the masses, but all it does is aggregate the Everyman listening to this garbage. People are thinking differently. For example, disagreeing with Margot Kidder's curious opinion in Amy Adams' Lois does not make me a woman hating pig. Nor is Kidder immune to criticism for being a woman. The critics and people we disagree with are fair game.