Batman '89 (2021)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Tue, 16 Feb 2021, 21:05

Previous topic - Next topic
Both of the Robin pics

I like them, I like them alot. 

Paul, This site needs a like button.

Here's a better look at Robin's updated costume.

It retains the BR armor with a bit of red spray paint, and the gloves from the B89 costume. I like how it still retains that touch of the original Tim Drake Robin suit.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Being a 'protester' doesn't make you untouchable. It's this mostly peaceful Robin who starts trouble with the spray paint, and soon after a petrol bomb is hurled which takes out two vehicles. Police response would be absolutely justified there. But what's the response from Gordon? To stand down. No police engagement at all. So the crowd could loot and burn, and the GCPD would have to stand down to let the mayhem unfold? I knew this would component would be garbage.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue,  7 Dec  2021, 13:36
Being a 'protester' doesn't make you untouchable. It's this mostly peaceful Robin who starts trouble with the spray paint, and soon after a petrol bomb is hurled which takes out two vehicles. Police response would be absolutely justified there. But what's the response from Gordon? To stand down. No police engagement at all. So the crowd could loot and burn, and the GCPD would have to stand down to let the mayhem unfold? I knew this would component would be garbage.
Unfortunately, you have forgotten that before any trouble starts, Bullock (in panels 2, 3, and 4) decides that he's going to to prevent the protesters from reaching city hall. As it turns out, this is in a direct contravention of his orders from Gordon. He was to provide safe passage for the protesters. He claims that there is new intel, that there are trouble makers in the crowd, but he breaks the chain of command on this unsubstantiated claim. In fact, trouble only starts when he disobeys a direct order from Gordon. Bullock had orders in hand, the protesters were blindsided (panel 10) by this turn of events as they had been in contact with Gordon and made him aware of their intentions. Robin's retaliation is nonlethal and Gordon correctly orders Bullock (who has essentially gone rogue) to stand down. Gordon then takes the heat entirely on his shoulders,

Tue, 7 Dec 2021, 20:13 #316 Last Edit: Tue, 7 Dec 2021, 20:32 by The Dark Knight
Contravening orders is an issue between two characters, Bullock and Gordon. At the point the spray cans are distributed and used by the crowd against the Police, and the bomb is used against their vehicles, the Police didn't lay a finger on anybody. They are allowed to be in the street regardless. The fact the crowd respond that way at all and escalate the situation makes me question their morals. A leader is someone who responds to changing circumstances. Regardless of the initial order, it should've been revised once the crowd turned ugly. But Gordon would be happy to leave his men to the wolves. And Batman himself is away at home taking care of a cat, rather than overseeing the situation.

Tue, 7 Dec 2021, 21:04 #317 Last Edit: Tue, 7 Dec 2021, 21:42 by Gotham Knight
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue,  7 Dec  2021, 20:13
Contravening orders is an issue between two characters,
No it is not, not at all. Proper order is essential in a situation where an armed authority exists. Gordon is the leader of that authority and his lieutenant disobeyed his orders and started the conflict. It was not at all a private matter. The protesters organized lawfully and were authorized to take the walk to city hall. Bullock made it clear that any advancement toward that end would be met with violence. His illegal commandeering of civil authority with hostile intent is an act he takes without just cause. He preempts a threat that at that point did not yet exist.

A protester is not untouchable. A police officer cannot break the law.

I'm not condoning the firebombing, but it is obvious that Gordon takes the proper action of going to the source of the disruption and deescalating it. He takes responsibility and now it appears that he might subject to legal action because the police acted against an authorized protest. Bullock acted illegally.

We're never going to agree here. Taking action against officers and their equipment isn't legal, regardless of any chain of command orders and the actions of the crowd cannot be justified. Are they going to pay for cleaning costs and damages? And if not why not? At the point Gordon tells them to stand down he has no idea if the firebombing antics will continue. I thought this series started out okay, but it's gone off the rails. I'm just not feeling it much now. Superman '78 is schooling '89, and like Ghostbusters Afterlife, I'm okay with pretending it doesn't exist.

I've read the fourth chapter tonight.

I was disappointed, to be honest. Batman is back in the Batcave at the start of the latest issue despite fires erupting all over Gotham City at the end of the last issue? I know Catwoman mentioned it's not a situation either of them could do to help, when their little rooftop reunion got interrupted, but it's still underwhelming. I don't like the idea that Batman wouldn't intervene in violent riots. But maybe that's what the Robin arc is there for, to get Batman more involved?

Commissioner Gordon made his return after gone missing in the last couple of issues, but I'm disappointed that he isn't given much of an arc so far. I suppose you could say these comics continue the Burton films' trait in treating Gordon as a perfunctory character, for better or worse. But you would think these comics would do more to explore Gordon after the National Guard was brought in, and his authority was already undermined because of his co-operation with Batman. Honestly, I'm surprised he's still on duty and was able to keep Bullock in check. I thought city hall would've asked for his resignation by now after the whole Batman and Halloween night fiasco. Not to mention his apparent estrangement with his daughter Barbara, whom he mentioned he hasn't spoken to. We've yet to see those two interact with each other.

Speaking of the National Guard...what happened with them? Did they just take off and leave as soon as Dent got injured? The whole sub-plot of them being brought in to arrest Batman has been neglected.

I appreciate how Hamm is incorporating social and political themes in these comics, but I'm starting to think six issues are not enough to tell this story. Maybe these comics should've been twelve issues long instead. As it stands, Batman '89 is lacking a cohesive story to tackle all of these sub-plots in a satisfying manner. As much as I enjoyed the first couple of issues, I got to say I felt the first issue had too much story going on and you needed to re-read it to soak it in. There is only two more issues left to go, but I hate to say it, I'm finding Batman '89 more and more disjointed, in spite of the good backstory for Harvey Dent thus far. Which again, this might have to do with the short amount of issues this saga was given to work with.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei