Batman '89 (2021)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Tue, 16 Feb 2021, 21:05

Previous topic - Next topic
Written by Sam Hamm and drawn by artist Joe Quinones, this new comic book series promises the return of Pfeiffer's Catwoman, Bill Dee Williams' Two-Face and the debut of a new Robin. This more or less confirms the reports that the upcoming Keaton movie(s) will separate the Burtonverse from the Schumacherverse. The comic launches digitally on July 27th and will be published in chapters, followed by a hardback collection in October.

With filming on The Flash scheduled for spring and the new comic launching in summer, I think it's fair to say that the second era of the Burton Batman is about to begin!

Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

If it's just Hamm's script for Batman II, I'm gonna be very upset.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue, 16 Feb  2021, 21:05
Written by Sam Hamm and drawn by artist Joe Quinones, this new comic book series promises the return of Pfeiffer's Catwoman, Bill Dee Williams' Two-Face and the debut of a new Robin. This more or less confirms the reports that the upcoming Keaton movie(s) will separate the Burtonverse from the Schumacherverse. The comic launches digitally on July 27th and will be published in chapters, followed by a hardback collection in October.

With filming on The Flash scheduled for spring and the new comic launching in summer, I think it's fair to say that the second era of the Burton Batman is about to begin!

I don't mind us treating this like a new thread, and ignoring the old one (since ithis is finally happening).  I just wanted to get some credit for being the first with the scoop.  ;)
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Tue, 16 Feb 2021, 21:18 #4 Last Edit: Tue, 16 Feb 2021, 21:59 by Kamdan
Hope the initial writer involved with the original proposal of a Batman '89 comic series gets a shot at doing what they proposed. Wish that this was more of an on-going series than a one-shot, starting with adapting Hamm's original screenplay before the rewrites.

Quote from: Kamdan on Tue, 16 Feb  2021, 21:10
If it's just Hamm's script for Batman II, I'm gonna be very upset.

Judging from the press release, it won't be. They've confirmed it's going to feature Pfeiffer's version of Catwoman, not the one from Hamm's unused Batman II script. The fact Two-Face will appear also points to an original story.

The only thing Hamm might reuse from his Batman II script is the Robin storyline. There were three unused concepts for the Burton Robin: the one from the 1989 script that was meant to be played by Ricky Addison Reed, Hamm's Batman II version, and the Marlon Wayans version from Waters' BR script. Of the three, I think Hamm's Batman II version was the best, so I wouldn't object to him reusing some of that material.

My reaction to this and a Superman '78 comic, is exactly the same as it is for the ZSJL.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

March – Justice League Snyder Cut
April – filming starts on The Flash
June – Batman: Earth One Volume 3
July – Batman '89 #1

It's going to be an exciting spring and summer for Batman fans.  ;D

This is the best news. Like Silver says, it all but confirms our man is coming back. A comic was something we wanted and believed to be the ultimate precursor to any Keaton return, and it's happening.

Anything that appears here will have to have been carefully considered as canon and elements will surely feature in Flashpoint, even if it's through minimal dialogue referencing the past.

I'm glad Quinones is attached to the project given his passion for Burton's Batman. It was crushing when the original pitch was declined, but having it as a combo with a live action return is perfect timing. It's all working out okay in the end for us. All those years of yearning, dreaming of something we thought to be long gone, contained to the late 80s/early90s. But now it's finally our time.