New Trailer Out

Started by Slash Man, Thu, 3 Dec 2015, 05:17

Previous topic - Next topic

What did you think of the new trailer?

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Mon, 18 Jan  2016, 11:12I still like the Williams score, but I believe Zimmer's music is appropriate for a modern era and gets the adrenaline pumping. I found his MOS score way more exciting and memorable than his original Batman stuff, which I found to be dull. Except for the Bane theme.
I eventually came to somewhat enjoy the Zimmer scores. They're not as dark and melodic as Elfman's score and they're not as grandiose and sweeping as Goldenthal's scores. They're sort of their own weird little aberration. Zimmer became more and more experimental from an engineering standpoint as the movie's went on and as a result TDKRises sounds different from a technical standpoint and it incorporates a lot of the themes from the previous films. I daresay it's one of the stronger scores.

Plus you get interesting stuff with TDKRises like...

Underground Army

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Mon, 18 Jan  2016, 11:12I hope Zimmer will come up with a much better theme for Batman in his second try.
Apparently he's NOT trying. I read somewhere that Junkie XL will do Batman's music while Zimmer will do Superman's. Then you'll have Junkie vs. Zimmer in the music while it's Batman vs. Superman on the screen.

Zimmer says he's doing it this way so that he won't have to compete with his own legacy with Batman music.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Mon, 18 Jan  2016, 11:12That's curious. Are you referring to the beginning of SII where the hopeful music suddenly transforms into this dreaded military drumming beat as soon as Non snaps that guard's neck?
Somewhat, yeah. You'll hear it there. But the better example might be...

Ursa Flies Over the Moon

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Mon, 18 Jan  2016, 11:12By the way, a new preview was released a couple of days ago from the official BvS score, titled "Their War Here".

It's mostly the same music from the scene in MOS where Superman violently flies into Zod and shouts "You think you can threaten my mother!".
Yeah, that's a sort of typical Zimmer move. He has a composition that he'll drop in rather than orchestra something new and work in themes organically. It's a bit aggravating, actually.

A good Superman theme came from of all places Smallville...

Defeating Bizarro

You can hear the build up to it beginning at the 2:00 mark. I rather enjoy it.

This is the footage consisting of quick interviews of Affleck, Cavill, Eisenberg and Snyder promoting the film, with Geoff Johns speaking to Kevin Smith in last night's DC Films special. Contains some info on stuff we mostly knew already though.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue, 19 Jan  2016, 18:47
I eventually came to somewhat enjoy the Zimmer scores. They're not as dark and melodic as Elfman's score and they're not as grandiose and sweeping as Goldenthal's scores. They're sort of their own weird little aberration. Zimmer became more and more experimental from an engineering standpoint as the movie's went on and as a result TDKRises sounds different from a technical standpoint and it incorporates a lot of the themes from the previous films. I daresay it's one of the stronger scores.

You're right, TDKR does sound different than the last two scores that Zimmer did. And despite recycling some bits of music from the previous films at times, Zimmer made the music a lot more operatic, which was something I thought the other two scores severely lacked. For example, the music in the final chase sequence in TDKR is the same one that was used during the fight with Ra's al Ghul on the speeding train, but this time it's a lot more energetic and exciting.

But I still think his MOS score is superior. I like Zod's theme, and I find myself humming to "Arcade" a lot. But I constantly see people complaining that the bass sounds like a car's engine breaking down. Then again, they had no problems with Zimmer's Joker theme, which I regard it as the audio equivalent to nails scratching on chalkboard. Bloody awful!

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue, 19 Jan  2016, 18:47
Apparently he's NOT trying. I read somewhere that Junkie XL will do Batman's music while Zimmer will do Superman's. Then you'll have Junkie vs. Zimmer in the music while it's Batman vs. Superman on the screen.

Zimmer says he's doing it this way so that he won't have to compete with his own legacy with Batman music.

That's a bloody shame. I always found his Batman theme overrated, and I was hoping he'd improve it. Oh well, I still like the new Superman theme he wrote.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

By the way: here is this official concept artwork of the Justice League assembling together.

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2016/01/dc-extended-universe-featurettes-for-aquaman-cyborg-and-green-lantern-corps.html
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed, 20 Jan  2016, 13:04
By the way: here is this official concept artwork of the Justice League assembling together.

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2016/01/dc-extended-universe-featurettes-for-aquaman-cyborg-and-green-lantern-corps.html

That looks very good. I can hear the 2001 JL theme song playing in my head. :)

DC is really moving ahead. I love their marketing strategies. Not the usual but more in-depth, more info and more detailed trailers (without giving too much away)

The tide seems to be somewhat turning with the DC extended universe. The Suicide Squad trailer was a bit hit with a lot of the Guardians of the Galaxy fans. The Iron Man 2 and Iron Man 3 contingents seem a bit more open to Batman v Superman. And, finally, the Wonder Woman sneak peek is being welcomed by Thor and Captain America fans alike.

Maybe one day (gasp) everyone will realize that DC is great and Marvel is great and it's fine to like characters from both or to like just one but respect the other instead trashing the characters, stories, films, and fans constantly.

I know, I know, crazy talk. Sorry.

BvS and SS both look great to me.

I thought the special last night was really good. I loved everything I saw. A the new scenes from BvS looked great. WW blew me away, and I can't wait to see that. I loved the new SS trailer. And I loved all the concept art for JL.

I think DC is in good shape.

I seriously think Affleck, coupled with the gorgeous suit and directorial flair of Snyder, is going to have him neck and neck with Keaton. This is the Batman I've waited so long for.