New Trailer Out

Started by Slash Man, Thu, 3 Dec 2015, 05:17

Previous topic - Next topic

What did you think of the new trailer?

I rather appreciate Cavill's approach. He's totally right. Clark Kent should be able to blend in anywhere he goes. Nobody should ever even remember that he's there half the time. Mild-mannered. The guy is supposed to be forgettable.

Is it only me, or did that Cinema Blend headline I sourced before tried to make Cavill sound like he was disrespecting Reeve's Clark Kent interpretation?

And I can't believe people like that writer still don't know how to spell Reeve's surname correctly. It's Reeve, not Reeves!
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 20 Dec  2015, 07:34

And I can't believe people like that writer still don't know how to spell Reeve's surname correctly. It's Reeve, not Reeves!

On the posters in my country, they spelled his name "Revee" . True story.

I so love the quotes by Ben and Henry. I keep getting more and more excited. Christmas will be 3 months from the opening. Can. Not. Wait.

As much as I'm a Batman girl at heart (and explained why earlier in this thread) I find that I do have feelings for Supes when the character is talked about. I of course love the original with Christopher Reeve and I liked Man of Steel, and Tim Daly's animated version was great too. I just find that he's a bit self righteous when it comes to the Bat and that carries to a lot of his fanboys which is irritating. Heavy-handed holier than thou attitudes just irk me.

I am excited for all DC characters to appear, but most of all Batman and Wonder Woman in the near future, and I like Man of Steel too and the Reeve films and the DCAU.

I liked what I saw of Cavill's Clark in the trailer. Low key, as Cavill suggests, but nonetheless a man with strong opinions and a particular outlook of the world. Just as strong as Bruce in his own way, with his silent glare showing he's not going to back down either. I'm a Batman guy, I make not secret of that. And Affleck has me excited. But I have to admit I'm becoming very eager for Superman's live action depiction with Cavill now carving out a future for the character.

Henry Cavill Says Dawn of Justice Doesn't Intentionally Address Man of Steel Criticism

When Man of Steel was released, the divide was clear. Many were enthusiastic about the film, others were eager to point out flaws. Even critically the film was divided, sitting at 56% on Rotten Tomatoes. Some of the Man of Steel criticism leveled at the film even influenced the way Marvel Studios made last year's Avengers: Age of Ultron, which spent quite a bit of time showing the heroes actively saving civilians on screen, though the destruction levels remained off the charts.

Now comes Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, the follow-up to the 2013 film and the real kick start of the DCEU on film. It became clear in the second trailer for the film that the destruction of Metropolis would be a focal point of the sequel, but speaking with Cineplex, Henry Cavill claims that "Dawn of Justice" doesn't intentionally address the Man of Steel criticism.

"The reception of my first Superman movie, from what I've read, was fairly mixed," Cavill says. "Everyone I've spoken to enjoyed the movie, but [not] unlike if you're going to meet a stranger in the street, they're not going to badmouth you to your face. There's no intentional move, I don't think, in Batman v Superman to address any issues that people had with Man of Steel. It's just a continuation of that storyline and they continue to develop that world and introduce new characters."

Cavill went on to reveal that he thinks people may look down on characters like Superman, but assures fans he gets a lot to do in Batman v Superman.

"I think maybe people may look down on some popular-culture stuff, but they're actually very complicated and interesting characters. Superman especially, he's just wonderfully rich and one of those things, for me, that's just enjoyable to play. There's so far you can go with it; if you really, really delve deep into the character, there's so much you can do. It's just about exploring it within the vehicles and finding what you want to do. He's going to have some very interesting character development in this one."

Fearing the actions of a god-like Super Hero left unchecked, Gotham City's own formidable, forceful vigilante takes on Metropolis's most revered, modern-day savior, while the world wrestles with what sort of hero it really needs. And with Batman and Superman at war with one another, a new threat quickly arises, putting mankind in greater danger than it's ever known before.

Directed by Zack Snyder and written by Chris Terrio from a screenplay by David S. Goyer, Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice stars Henry Cavill in the role of Clark Kent/Superman and Ben Affleck as Bruce Wayne/Batman. The film also stars Gal Gadot as Diana Prince/Wonder Woman, with Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne and Diane Lane returning from Man of Steel, joined by Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor, Jeremy Irons as Alfred, and Holly Hunter in a role newly created for the film. Jason Momoa will also be making an appearance as Aquaman.

Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/644547-henry-cavill-says-dawn-of-justice-doesnt-intentionally-address-man-of-steel-criticism#LDjxOAP8GTKVm3fD.99

I wonder if people will complain that Superman will have too much character development in this movie, as opposed to allegedly having little to none in MOS. It's bizarre of course, but you never know with some people.

One thing you can definitely noticed with Cavill's Clark Kent/Superman in the trailers is how assertive he is. He's not afraid to express his opinion about Batman being a pest.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I really enjoyed Man of Steel except for the end battle that leveled that whole part of Metropolis. I like Henry's version of Superman even if I'm not a huge fan of the character (I like him when I watch him but I don't seek him out like I do with the Bat) and I'm really excited to see how he develops. I think he's in for some hard lessons in this movie, courtesy of Batman, courtesy of Lex, courtesy of Wonder Woman, and so on. I think the same goes for Batman. They're both going to have to learn and grow beyond what they know and what they think they know, which I can see this Batman resenting a bit like most of the good versions would.

One thing I hope that happens is they're not chummy chummy buddy buddy at the end of this. It's their first round together, let that draw out a bit before you have them being close like in Public Enemies (which I love but is obviously deep into their relationship). I think this movie should (and probably will) end with them having something of a grudging respect and a realization that they're on the same side, but not exactly friends. That should come later. Make sense? lol.

Quote from: Catwoman on Thu,  7 Jan  2016, 08:45
One thing I hope that happens is they're not chummy chummy buddy buddy at the end of this. It's their first round together, let that draw out a bit before you have them being close like in Public Enemies (which I love but is obviously deep into their relationship). I think this movie should (and probably will) end with them having something of a grudging respect and a realization that they're on the same side, but not exactly friends. That should come later. Make sense? lol.

Yes, it does make sense. Some comics I've read fit that description perfectly. In chapter three of the 1986 Man of Steel comic reboot, Superman comes looking for Batman with the intention of bringing him to the police, but he ends up working with Batman to stop a violent thief instead. Superman didn't quite appreciate Batman's way of doing things along the way, but the respect was there.

In the under-rated Batman & Superman: World's Finest (1999), Superman and Batman got off to a very tense start, where they didn't even begin to have a friendship until seven years after they met. Before that, they agreed to work together once a year on the anniversary where a friend of theirs got killed despite stopping his psychotic kidnapper. As you can see in the screenshot below, Superman was completely out of touch with what Batman is capable of and how dangerous Gotham City is. Much to our beloved Caped Crusader's annoyance.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu,  7 Jan  2016, 08:13I wonder if people will complain that Superman will have too much character development in this movie, as opposed to allegedly having little to none in MOS. It's bizarre of course, but you never know with some people.
Wow, really? Guess I missed people saying that. Honestly most of the anti-MOS hysteria comes from butt-hurt fans of Donner and/or Reeve who are all mad because their version just went the way of the dodo. Their opposition is less about MOS and more about their personal preferences. At least in my observation.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu,  7 Jan  2016, 08:13One thing you can definitely noticed with Cavill's Clark Kent/Superman in the trailers is how assertive he is. He's not afraid to express his opinion about Batman being a pest.
I rather like that, m'self. Clark has a beef against Batman and Bruce has one with Superman.

If you must play Batman and Superman as virtual adversaries, to me it makes sense to frame their conflict as an ideological clash. Heroes in the Marvel universe beat each other senseless all the time. But if it happens in the DC universe, there needs to be a cause for it. Looks like Snyder and co. have found one. I appreciate this.