New Trailer Out

Started by Slash Man, Thu, 3 Dec 2015, 05:17

Previous topic - Next topic

What did you think of the new trailer?

I don't want to see Trump Luthor or Zuckerberg Luthor, I want Lex Luthor:)

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat,  5 Dec  2015, 00:26
Do you think the The Dark Knight Returns is overrated, and often referred to as the be-all-end-all of comics? The reason why I ask is a lot of these skeptics towards the film surprisingly declare that they're not very fond of the Frank Miller story. Personally, I find it a stark contrast to when I first read it years ago; I thought it was overrated while it was acclaimed by the majority, but now I've grown to appreciate it - yet I see more people becoming critical of it.
I think it's a mixed bag, and the Bats/Supes fight was one of the things that didn't click for me.

Quote from: zDBZ on Sun,  6 Dec  2015, 13:04
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat,  5 Dec  2015, 00:26
Do you think the The Dark Knight Returns is overrated, and often referred to as the be-all-end-all of comics? The reason why I ask is a lot of these skeptics towards the film surprisingly declare that they're not very fond of the Frank Miller story. Personally, I find it a stark contrast to when I first read it years ago; I thought it was overrated while it was acclaimed by the majority, but now I've grown to appreciate it - yet I see more people becoming critical of it.
I think it's a mixed bag, and the Bats/Supes fight was one of the things that didn't click for me.

The Dark Knight Returns is very good. But not the best Batman story I've ever seen. I am glad Snyder is inspired by it, still.

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Sun,  6 Dec  2015, 12:27
I don't want to see 'Trump Luthor' either, but it's simply a comparison.

I'd prefer to see a Luthor who was more the ruthless, steely, charismatic, alpha-male CEO than a geeky, nervy, cackling whizz-kid (hence the Trump v Zuckerberg comparison).  We've already seen that type of villain numerous times before with Ed Nygma in Batman Forever and Aldrich Killian in Iron Man 3.  It's funny, but comic-book filmmakers really seem to hate nerds.  ;D  Stupid really, considering that a large part of their demographic are nerds.  :-\
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sun,  6 Dec  2015, 14:07
Quote from: Edd Grayson on Sun,  6 Dec  2015, 12:27
I don't want to see 'Trump Luthor' either, but it's simply a comparison.

I'd prefer to see a Luthor who was more the ruthless, steely, charismatic, alpha-male CEO than a geeky, nervy, cackling whizz-kid (hence the Trump v Zuckerberg comparison).  We've already seen that type of villain numerous times before with Ed Nygma in Batman Forever and Aldrich Killian in Iron Man 3.  It's funny, but comic-book filmmakers really seem to hate nerds.  ;D  Stupid really, considering that a large part of their demographic are nerds.  :-\

I don't disagree. I want more of 'President Luthor' than anything else.

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Sun,  6 Dec  2015, 14:57I don't disagree. I want more of 'President Luthor' than anything else.
Well, out of Trump and Eisenberg there's only one man standing for or ever likely to become President, hence my stated preference for a businessman/CEO type Luthor over the junior tech-whizz version.  :-\

I don't see Lex Luthor as Trump or Zuckerberg, or Eisenberg so far  :D  but if you want to make that comparison, it's fine by me.

Lex Luthor is perhaps my favourite comic villain apart from The Joker. In some ways, I don't necessarily see him as a villain even though his methods are slimy. He's the perfect encapsulation of the power of words, glib charm and symbolism. Being a salesman. The ability to phrase an argument and tell a story.

Lex Luthor: Man of Steel is a solid representation of what makes the character great. He genuinely has a positive vision for Metropolis and the world. He wants people to see things like him, and it frustrates him when they don't. As such he's a man who thinks the end justifies the means. When he has a strong belief he will pursue it, even if it means lying, cheating and killing.

As for EisenLex, since this is the beginning of his arc, I'm sure we'll see him develop as the franchise goes on. As he begins to lose to Superman, I could see his personality turning darker. He's also going to lose his hair, for starters, moving towards the iconic look associated with the character.

My probably is not so much with how they're supposedly portraying this Lex, but more with the actor they have. Jesse Eisenberg is not a fan of the character and also a pretty awkward person around comic book fans. Surely he wasn't the only one available...

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon,  7 Dec  2015, 13:11
Lex Luthor is perhaps my favourite comic villain apart from The Joker. In some ways, I don't necessarily see him as a villain even though his methods are slimy. He's the perfect encapsulation of the power of words, glib charm and symbolism. Being a salesman. The ability to phrase an argument and tell a story.

Lex Luthor: Man of Steel is a solid representation of what makes the character great. He genuinely has a positive vision for Metropolis and the world. He wants people to see things like him, and it frustrates him when they don't. As such he's a man who thinks the end justifies the means. When he has a strong belief he will pursue it, even if it means lying, cheating and killing.

As for EisenLex, since this is the beginning of his arc, I'm sure we'll see him develop as the franchise goes on. As he begins to lose to Superman, I could see his personality turning darker. He's also going to lose his hair, for starters, moving towards the iconic look associated with the character.
Trust me, the issues that people have with Eisenberg's casting and apparent performance have absolutely nothing to do with the character's hair.

In fact, my favourite live-action Luther so far, and the only time I think the character has been done right by an actor (as enjoyable as Gene Hackman's version was), is John Shea in "The Adventures of Lois and Clark", and he sported nice looking hair for the first few seasons before going bald.

Also, Donald Trump's recent proposal for a Muslim Register is exactly like something an arch-comic-book villain would come up with.  I'm not getting into politics here, or saying whether I personally think Trump is right or wrong.  I'm just saying that a Muslim Register sounds very much like the Mutant Registration Act of the X-Men comic-books, hence why I am convinced that a Trump-like Luther would make for a much more timely, interesting and credible antagonist than a Zuckerberg type, especially bearing in mind the recent $45 billion contribution the latter made to charity (and I say that as someone who doesn't even particularly like Mark Zuckerberg).