New Trailer Out

Started by Slash Man, Thu, 3 Dec 2015, 05:17

Previous topic - Next topic

What did you think of the new trailer?

About Eisenberg: I want a Luthor more like the newer comics and the DCAU. I did not see that from him so far.  :-\

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri,  4 Dec  2015, 23:07
The response to Eisenberg's Lex is baffling. I mean it literally makes no sense whatsoever. None. Zero.

The reason Hackman gets crap for his portrayal of Lex Luthor is because CONTEXT MATTERS. He played a version of Lex who was known to be a supervillain. He had nothing to hide from anybody. Everybody knew his true colors.

Eisenberg plays a version of Lex at the top of the heap in the tech corporate world. If he acted like a supervillain all the time no matter the setting, um, HE WOULDN'T BE AT THE TOP OF THE HEAP. Honestly people, what's so difficult to understand about this? The trailer shows him acting silly in one scene and literally everything else is him being a malevolent force for evil as you'd expect.

I mean, I'm not trying to offend anybody here but I truly don't get it.

Anyway, this trailer shows for the first time in live action Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman standing side-by-side with one another. The awesomeness of that should speak for itself. Bring it on! I can't wait!
This.

Eisenlex is a young entrepreneur in a grown ups world. Even if he's putting on an act in public, it's not so difficult to believe this newcomer would be a fish out of water. Wide eyed and enthusiastic against the likes of Wayne. The older, broody guy who largely inherited his fortune. I like the contrast between them, and their age difference actually makes that even greater. And anyway, there's nothing wrong with humour in films. Last time I checked people were saying how everything was all too serious.

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Fri,  4 Dec  2015, 23:09
About Eisenberg: I want a Luthor more like the newer comics and the DCAU. I did not see that from him so far.  :-\
Exactly.  This

Some people are saying us Eisenberg-sceptics have a problem with humour or we don't get this Luthor.

No, we get it, and there's nothing wrong with humour.  We just don't like this version, and we're tired of yet another campy Luthor after Hackman and Spacey.

Where's the ruthless, tough, steely but charismatic, yet sociopathic, but not flamboyantly psychopathic, Luthor of the comic-books?  You know, the guy who ran for President in the comic-books and could conceivably win.  Who's this prancing, cackling, nervy Woody Allen junior we've got in his place?  :-\
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I stand by what I said, Johnny, and I agree. I am skeptical about Eisenberg. He couldn't be any further from "President Luthor".

Quote from: zDBZ on Fri,  4 Dec  2015, 20:17
Can't say I have a specific alternative; I'd just rather see more World's Finest and less DKR smash-up.

Do you think the The Dark Knight Returns is overrated, and often referred to as the be-all-end-all of comics? The reason why I ask is a lot of these skeptics towards the film surprisingly declare that they're not very fond of the Frank Miller story. Personally, I find it a stark contrast to when I first read it years ago; I thought it was overrated while it was acclaimed by the majority, but now I've grown to appreciate it - yet I see more people becoming critical of it.

Anyway, we'll definitely be seeing a smash-up and a team-up in the movie. But it depends how it gets executed on screen - hopefully it comes across as natural instead of forced. As Catwoman says, the two should work together but still have their own way of doing things to contrast each other. Grudgingly accept their differences while still working together.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri,  4 Dec  2015, 23:07
The response to Eisenberg's Lex is baffling. I mean it literally makes no sense whatsoever. None. Zero.

The reason Hackman gets crap for his portrayal of Lex Luthor is because CONTEXT MATTERS. He played a version of Lex who was known to be a supervillain. He had nothing to hide from anybody. Everybody knew his true colors.

Eisenberg plays a version of Lex at the top of the heap in the tech corporate world. If he acted like a supervillain all the time no matter the setting, um, HE WOULDN'T BE AT THE TOP OF THE HEAP. Honestly people, what's so difficult to understand about this? The trailer shows him acting silly in one scene and literally everything else is him being a malevolent force for evil as you'd expect.

I mean, I'm not trying to offend anybody here but I truly don't get it.

Anyway, this trailer shows for the first time in live action Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman standing side-by-side with one another. The awesomeness of that should speak for itself. Bring it on! I can't wait!

I do get what you're saying, but I personally side with johnnygobbs and Edd on this one. It's not because I think the proposed character arc is invalid, but it's just a personal preference of mine. But I still haven't seen the film yet, so who knows, Lex could surprise me.

I'll get to another point: even if Eisenberg plays exactly like the comical megalomaniac in the trailers, I'm now suddenly seeing people criticizing the film having jokes. First, people criticized it will be 'too dark and serious'...but now they complain it has humour. And it's not necessarily because they think the jokes are bad, but it's because the film has humour at all.

You really can't win with some people.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Yes, just to back up something The Laughing Fish has said in BvS's defence, I do think a bit of humour in these films is a very good thing (of course it also helps if the humour is genuinely funny), and I do agree that the people who are one moment arguing that the DC Cinematic Universe is too serious and then next arguing that it is now filled with jokes, are being ridiculous.

That however is not my issue with what I've so far seen of the BvS footage.

A few fans did complain that the new trailer was too comedic. I'd say it was just right.

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Sat,  5 Dec  2015, 01:02
A few fans did complain that the new trailer was too comedic. I'd say it was just right.
Like I said, the humour was not a problem for me.  And I certainly don't think the new trailer was 'too comedic'.  If anything the film can afford to be a little comedic after Man of Steel and TDK trilogy's ultra-sombre tone.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sat,  5 Dec  2015, 01:04
Quote from: Edd Grayson on Sat,  5 Dec  2015, 01:02
Like I said, the humour was not a problem for me.  And I certainly don't think the new trailer was 'too comedic'.  If anything the film can afford to be a little comedic after Man of Steel and TDK trilogy's ultra-sombre tone.

Agreed.  :)

I think you Eisenberg naysayers are going to feel a little silly when you see the finished film (or heck, just rewatch the trailer). But to each his own, I guess.