Batman Forever: Virtual Workprint

Started by I_Only_Said, Mon, 21 Feb 2011, 17:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Fun little fan trailer in light of the Snyder Cut trailer.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Fri,  4 Sep  2020, 20:36

Fun little fan trailer in light of the Snyder Cut trailer.

This does reignite my interest in a Schumacher cut, I must say.

That video goes to show that deep down, a lot of people really do have a soft spot for BF. Too bad B&R had affected its legacy for years.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat,  5 Sep  2020, 07:34
That video goes to show that deep down, a lot of people really do have a soft spot for BF. Too bad B&R had affected its legacy for years.
If hanging around this board has taught me anything, it's that I'm not the only one with some deeply fond memories of the summer of 1995. That was a great time to be a Batman fan. The comics were kicking ass, the marketing for BF hit all the right notes, the movie itself was a massive event and it expanded the dramatic possibilities for Batman on film.

All in all, I absolutely understand why BF has such affection.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue,  8 Sep  2020, 00:29
If hanging around this board has taught me anything, it's that I'm not the only one with some deeply fond memories of the summer of 1995. That was a great time to be a Batman fan. The comics were kicking ass, the marketing for BF hit all the right notes, the movie itself was a massive event and it expanded the dramatic possibilities for Batman on film.

Was this your first experience with Batmania, or did you also get to experience the hysteria in 1989?

Quote from: BatmanFurst on Tue,  8 Sep  2020, 04:30
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue,  8 Sep  2020, 00:29

Was this your first experience with Batmania, or did you also get to experience the hysteria in 1989?
I was around for the crazy summer of 1989. And 1995 was closer to that feeling than 1992 had been, as I recall.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue,  8 Sep  2020, 12:09
I was around for the crazy summer of 1989. And 1995 was closer to that feeling than 1992 had been, as I recall.

Yes, I agree.

Although I don't think Warners were holding back much in 1992 with Batman Returns, it just seemed like Warners were fully aware that Batman Forever was going to wind up being a more 'mainstream' film than the previous installment in the Batman movie series, and went full tilt with merchandising and advertising. In addition, the Batman Forever soundtrack was pretty great, and that was a summer where it seemed like you couldn't go anywhere without hearing "Kiss from a Rose" on the radio. Keeping the movie well within the public consciousness that summer much like the Prince soundtrack did in 1989.

Another song I remember being played on the radio constantly that summer was TLC's "Waterfalls". I'm sure there were others, but that and Seal's "Kiss from a Rose" seemed to be played at least once an hour. I recall being kinda annoyed that other songs on the Batman Forever were not getting no where near the same kind of play, as I preferred the U2 song, but it is what it is.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: Wayne49 on Wed,  2 Sep  2020, 13:01
During this pandemic, it seems going into the vaults to pull out director cuts of popular films would be a no-brainer to generate income where actors are not needed. It would be interesting not only to see BF, but honestly to see if there was a different cut available for B&R. With Schumacher gone now, it likely wouldn't be considered his vision though. As much as he felt inclined to apologize for it, I gotta believe had he been given the green light to re-edit it and add footage left out, it would register entirely different. A missed opportunity.
It is my understanding that with B&R, what you see is what you get. Schumacher himself said that he and Goldsman just fundamentally wrote less for B&R than they did for BF. There may be deleted scenes for B&R. That wouldn't be a surprise. But I don't think there's an equivalent of the red leather book for B&R.

It adds up too, I think. B&R got fast-tracked after the success of BF. If I'm not too terribly mistaken, pre-production started on B&R while Schumacher was filming, editing and then promoting A Time To Kill. He and Goldsman probably needed something that WB could approve quickly considering the looming release date for B&R they were facing... which, if you ask me, goes a long way toward explaining why B&R follows a kinda sorta similar story structure as the theatrical cut of BF. Simply, Schumacher and Goldsman had good reason to believe WB would approve that. Once you've at least got the skeleton of the story worked out, you can get to work on everything else faster.

Since they were starting off with fundamentally less story to work with (and time to shoot it), I imagine that scene extensions and whatnot definitely exist. And I'll even suggest that deleted scenes exist. But I simply doubt that there's much of anything substantial.

I do wonder tho how things might've turned out if Schumacher had cut Alfred's MacGregor syndrome subplot from the film. Considering the probability that people would appreciate a Schumacher cut of BF (and it will likely improve the movie's overall rep), restoring Alfred's subplot to a version of B&R which lacked it for a hypothetical Schumacher cut of B&R would probably give people plenty of reason to reevaluate B&R as well.

We'll never know because obviously the MacGregor thing was never cut from the movie. But I'm convinced that releasing B&R as we know it today would not be a bad thing at all.

Wed, 17 Mar 2021, 12:32 #78 Last Edit: Wed, 17 Mar 2021, 12:33 by BatmanFurst
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Mon, 15 Mar  2021, 20:39
Quote from: Wayne49 on Wed,  2 Sep  2020, 13:01
During this pandemic, it seems going into the vaults to pull out director cuts of popular films would be a no-brainer to generate income where actors are not needed. It would be interesting not only to see BF, but honestly to see if there was a different cut available for B&R. With Schumacher gone now, it likely wouldn't be considered his vision though. As much as he felt inclined to apologize for it, I gotta believe had he been given the green light to re-edit it and add footage left out, it would register entirely different. A missed opportunity.
It is my understanding that with B&R, what you see is what you get. Schumacher himself said that he and Goldsman just fundamentally wrote less for B&R than they did for BF. There may be deleted scenes for B&R. That wouldn't be a surprise. But I don't think there's an equivalent of the red leather book for B&R.

It adds up too, I think. B&R got fast-tracked after the success of BF. If I'm not too terribly mistaken, pre-production started on B&R while Schumacher was filming, editing and then promoting A Time To Kill. He and Goldsman probably needed something that WB could approve quickly considering the looming release date for B&R they were facing... which, if you ask me, goes a long way toward explaining why B&R follows a kinda sorta similar story structure as the theatrical cut of BF. Simply, Schumacher and Goldsman had good reason to believe WB would approve that. Once you've at least got the skeleton of the story worked out, you can get to work on everything else faster.

Since they were starting off with fundamentally less story to work with (and time to shoot it), I imagine that scene extensions and whatnot definitely exist. And I'll even suggest that deleted scenes exist. But I simply doubt that there's much of anything substantial.

I do wonder tho how things might've turned out if Schumacher had cut Alfred's MacGregor syndrome subplot from the film. Considering the probability that people would appreciate a Schumacher cut of BF (and it will likely improve the movie's overall rep), restoring Alfred's subplot to a version of B&R which lacked it for a hypothetical Schumacher cut of B&R would probably give people plenty of reason to reevaluate B&R as well.

We'll never know because obviously the MacGregor thing was never cut from the movie. But I'm convinced that releasing B&R as we know it today would not be a bad thing at all.

That's why I put B&R ahead of Forever. Comparatively speaking, B&R just feels like a more complete film. At no point watching B&R am I confused regarding a characters motivation or arc. Whereas with Forever, there are moments that come out of nowhere because the scenes that set them up were cut out of the film. For example the "Batman is no more" scene doesn't make sense in context because the scenes of Gothamites asking for Batman's retirement aren't there.