Batman Forever: Virtual Workprint

Started by I_Only_Said, Mon, 21 Feb 2011, 17:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Rewatched this the other night (still had the file, but the link on the first post is still active, just in case).
Something like this should be the definitive version of the film. Frankly, the only reason to watch the theatrical cut nowadays is nostalgia and the much better A/V quality of the bluray. The virtual workprint is so much better.

Tue, 14 Jul 2020, 07:44 #52 Last Edit: Tue, 14 Jul 2020, 08:43 by BatmanFurst
Quote from: Azrael on Mon, 13 Jul  2020, 20:12
Rewatched this the other night (still had the file, but the link on the first post is still active, just in case).
Something like this should be the definitive version of the film. Frankly, the only reason to watch the theatrical cut nowadays is nostalgia and the much better A/V quality of the bluray. The virtual workprint is so much better.
I've never seen this but your rave review makes me want to check it out.

Yeah, definitely worth watching. Much better opening, scene ordering, the deleted scenes are integrated seamlessly.

Finally watched it. Or I started to anyway. Figured I'd just watch the first scene. Then the second. Then the third. I finally turned it off after about twenty minutes because I really do have other stuff I need to get done.

But I will say that the workprint version definitely draws you in right away. The scenes are arranged in a much more logical way. I never realized how out of order a lot of scenes were (and how much that grated on me) until I started this version of the movie.

One interesting thing isn't the stuff that's been reinstated (although that's nice) but the stuff that's left out. "I'll get drive-thru", "oh no, it's boiling acid", "this'll fix him!", probably other stuff.

I'll probably write more later but this is a worthy find, I must say.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue, 14 Jul  2020, 22:35
One interesting thing isn't the stuff that's been reinstated (although that's nice) but the stuff that's left out. "I'll get drive-thru", "oh no, it's boiling acid", "this'll fix him!", probably other stuff.
I haven't watched the edit for a while, but this would be my only complaint because I'm a completionist. I'd prefer all available content be used, which includes "I'll get drive thru" and everything else. That's how you make something truly definitive. Including something and omitting other things seems counterproductive. I think it should be less about creating a more consistent tone, because the film is what it is. It was either filmed or it wasn't. Get it all out under one masthead, warts and all.

I wouldn't mind checking this out.

Anyone have a good link to share? PM me.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Wed, 15 Jul  2020, 03:25

I wouldn't mind checking this out.

Anyone have a good link to share? PM me.
Check post #1 in this thread. That link still works.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 15 Jul  2020, 02:22
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue, 14 Jul  2020, 22:35
I haven't watched the edit for a while, but this would be my only complaint because I'm a completionist. I'd prefer all available content be used, which includes "I'll get drive thru" and everything else. That's how you make something truly definitive. Including something and omitting other things seems counterproductive. I think it should be less about creating a more consistent tone, because the film is what it is. It was either filmed or it wasn't. Get it all out under one masthead, warts and all.

Agreed, the removal of these is possibly based on the personal preference of the editor (I also don't mind about them missing) but maybe what matters at this point is having the most complete and coherent version of the film, not making it "darker" or toning down the goofiness (after all, one of the restored lines - "a little on the ears, Batman" - is the definition of goofy/silly humour).

For anyone interested in supporting, there's a schedule for Monday July 20th for Twitter and Instagram to post to @WBHomeEnt and @HBOMaxPr for the Schumacher Assembly Cut.

Made this to get posted