How fans are trying to remove Zack Snyder from the Justice League

Started by johnnygobbs, Tue, 29 Mar 2016, 19:53

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: johnnygobbs on Fri,  1 Apr  2016, 09:25
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri,  1 Apr  2016, 03:17
Quote from: johnnygobbs on Thu, 31 Mar  2016, 17:25
]I hope not.  Otherwise we can look forward to a rash of Transformers sequels and Adam Sandler 'comedies'.  ::)
BvS is nowhere near that level of quality. Don't be fooled by the Tomato Meter.
Just to be clear, I wasn't attacking BvS here.  I as referring to this worrying statement "In a way the critic backlash could be a positive thing as many people who hate critics and their bias are using this film as vehicle to rebel against the critics."

Even if BvS is in fact a good film, I just hope people aren't flocking to see to give critics the finger.  Like I said before, the critics are often right IMHO.
But not here. I'm at the front of the line, holding a banner saying 'F the critics'.

Fri, 1 Apr 2016, 12:31 #31 Last Edit: Fri, 1 Apr 2016, 13:43 by The Laughing Fish
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri,  1 Apr  2016, 09:52
But not here. I'm at the front of the line, holding a banner saying 'F the critics'.

Yes. I've often find myself disagreeing with critics, even if somebody liked the same movie I as I did because they give it a good review for the wrong reasons. Most of the time, they tend to write on things that aren't actually there instead reviewing the actual movie.

A week ago, some critic wrote this scathing headline that read "After watching Batman v Superman, you will hate Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, and the rest of the Justice League". I knew it was complete sensationalist bullsh*t before I saw the movie myself, and I certainly didn't see the characters doing anything to deserve such scorn. I'll admit that I found a lot of plot points involving Superman that left me scratching my head, but nothing too contemptible.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

It's too bad because critics had been praising comic book movies with the Nolan trilogy, most of the MCU films and even deadpool (a film I was sure they'd hate). Maybe this was a manner of 'settling the score'.

Without wishing to offend anyone here, I am concerned about an increasing anti-elitist tendency among society at the moment.  And I don't mean 'elitism' in terms of wealth and privilege, but the good type of 'elitism' (i.e. intellectualism and cultural understanding)  Giving relatively high-brow critics the middle finger strikes me as part of this reactionary thinking.  One doesn't have to agree with the critics, but perhaps instead of saying 'F you' to them, one could try to understand where some of them are coming from rather than simply dismissing their arguments out of hand.

Also, whilst we're on the subject of criticism, can anyone explain to me why Snyder seems so keen to kill off various main important DC characters only two films into what is presumably meant to be a long-running extended universe (thus spoiling things for any other filmmaker who wants to deal with those characters later on down the line)?  Unless of course this Extended Universe is only intended to last a few films before another we see another reboot (i.e. one helmed by someone who actually has respect for characters like Jimmy Olsen, Mercy Graves and Robin)?  :)
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I see the backlash as people protesting the critics giving their reviews based on personal agendas instead of rating movies bases on their intended value- entertainment factor. It's been known for years that critics will typically praise boring movies while not praising good movies based on perception (ie dumb and dumber which some consider the funniest film of all time was trashed when it came out). This film happens to be an extreme of it.

So in a nutshell people who loved this film are flipping off critics for saying its terrible. There needs to be awareness drawn to avoid people trusting reviews; and it's happening some people were initially scared off by critical reviews.

Quote from: riddler on Fri,  1 Apr  2016, 20:54
I see the backlash as people protesting the critics giving their reviews based on personal agendas instead of rating movies bases on their intended value- entertainment factor. It's been known for years that critics will typically praise boring movies while not praising good movies based on perception (ie dumb and dumber which some consider the funniest film of all time was trashed when it came out). This film happens to be an extreme of it.

So in a nutshell people who loved this film are flipping off critics for saying its terrible. There needs to be awareness drawn to avoid people trusting reviews; and it's happening some people were initially scared off by critical reviews.
I thought 'Dumb and Dumber' got good reviews when it came out.  I remember 'Empire' which has always been my primary source for reviews (it gave 'BvS' 3/5 by the way, so an average/'fresh' review on balance), gave 'Dumb and Dumber' 4/5 stars.  Personally, I think 'Dumb and Dumber' is overrated, speaking as a Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels fan.  It seemed to be the film that unfortunately heralded the era of the gross-out movie when mainstream comedies had hitherto been smart and witty like 'Groundhog Day', 'Dirty Rotten Scoundrels' and 'A Fish Called Wanda'.  After 'Dumb and Dumber' we were inundated with a flood of 'Scary Movie', 'Nutty Professor: The Klumps' and 'Me, Myself and Irene' gross-out type trash, and with films like 'Grimsby' and the latest Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer crap, we're still lumbered with these nasty 'comedies'.

As far as I'm concerned, most critics don't have an agenda.  They just prefer films that are life-affirming and positive rather than destructive and misanthropic.  I commend the critics for championing films that aren't nihilistic and empty, but are either smart and profound or at least funny and warm.

They just prefer films that are life-affirming and positive rather than destructive and misanthropic.

If that's true, they would never have liked Christopher Nolan's Batman, or something like Full Metal Jacket, which I like a lot, but I definitely wouldn't say it's uplifting to watch. Hell, even Batman Returns is not something I'd describe as uplifting to watch either.

As I said before, I've never taken the critics into account because I've often disagreed with what they say when they review something. Especially if they write a description that's completely unwarranted as that critic did in that BvS review I mentioned earlier on. While I won't go far to say they have an agenda, I often wonder to myself if they actually watch the same movies as I did. So no, I don't find a lot of them to be thought-provoking.

Besides, nothing is universally appreciated and let's face it, all directors take liberties from the source material when it comes to adapting comics for film. For instance, I enjoyed Iron Man 3 and I loved the Mandarin twist, and lots of critics did so too. But I can understand if somebody else who might be a dedicated Iron Man comic fan has a problem with Tony Stark's arch nemesis being reduced to being a made up disguise to hide the real terror threat - and a funny one at that. So who are the critics, and who am I for that matter, to say that their opinion should be disregarded, because they don't agree with the majority?
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I know where the critics are coming from, and I simply disagree with them. Strongly. For BvS to have a subterranean critic score because they don't like its tone deserves a big 'F you'. If they can only enjoy colourful, laugh out loud comedies then they should be sacked. BvS is positive and thought provoking. Just because it's not to their taste doesn't mean the toys come out of the pram. Things that can easily be explained become apparent plot holes to some critics, and to me, it just comes off as reasons to hate the film. I really don't think they get it. The comics explain a lot of BvS, and Man of Steel. It's like the critics didn't bother to use their brain and focus on the narrative. Like TLF, you walk out wondering if we even saw the same movie.

QuoteWithout wishing to offend anyone here, I am concerned about an increasing anti-elitist tendency among society at the moment.  And I don't mean 'elitism' in terms of wealth and privilege, but the good type of 'elitism' (i.e. intellectualism and cultural understanding)  Giving relatively high-brow critics the middle finger strikes me as part of this reactionary thinking.  One doesn't have to agree with the critics, but perhaps instead of saying 'F you' to them, one could try to understand where some of them are coming from rather than simply dismissing their arguments out of hand.
Can't say that I've seen it happen on this forum, but I've seen this in many places- many times when I see a beloved film getting bashed online, the common Internet rebuttal brings up critical praise and Rotten Tomatoes. But when the critics post bad reviews on a film they like, the online community goes into rants about how critics don't matter.

So I suppose they only do matter when they agree with them...

QuoteAs far as I'm concerned, most critics don't have an agenda.
Agreed. Far as I've seen, it's a matter of them not having the same tastes. But there is no actual agenda getting pushed against this film, I see zero evidence of there being some conspiracy of critics trying to take a film down. Especially considering Entertainment Weekly gave one of the bad reviews and both EW and Rotten Tomatoes are owned...by Warner. I guess the corporation has an agenda against itself then ;D
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri,  1 Apr  2016, 23:37
I know where the critics are coming from, and I simply disagree with them. Strongly. For BvS to have a subterranean critic score because they don't like its tone deserves a big 'F you'. If they can only enjoy colourful, laugh out loud comedies then they should be sacked. BvS is positive and thought provoking. Just because it's not to their taste doesn't mean the toys come out of the pram. Things that can easily be explained become apparent plot holes to some critics, and to me, it just comes off as reasons to hate the film. I really don't think they get it. The comics explain a lot of BvS, and Man of Steel. It's like the critics didn't bother to use their brain and focus on the narrative. Like TLF, you walk out wondering if we even saw the same movie.
I like you TDK, but I am getting a little wary of this argument, one which I've seen across the web from various sources that says 'if you don't like BvS you don't get it'.  Maybe people just have different tastes.  Surely we can all accept that, can't we?

And the negative response to 'Dumb and Dumber' pointed out by riddler goes to show that the critics don't necessarily gravitate towards 'colourful laugh our loud comedies'.