Rumour: Margot Robbie to play Harley Quinn for Suicide Squad

Started by The Laughing Fish, Mon, 10 Nov 2014, 08:38

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: johnnygobbs on Mon, 10 Nov  2014, 21:43
The Ice Princess is a very different comic character to Harley Quinn though.  One is a dumb blonde, the other just pretends to be a dumb blonde/acts like one because she's psychologically unhinged.

Yeah, I wasn't particularly comparing the characters of Harley and Ice Princess. Apologies if there was some misunderstanding on that. My comparison was on what was presented by both actresses in their respective films. Which, I believe, Conway showed much more comedic chops in BR, than that of Margot in Wolf.

QuoteBut bear in mind that in The Wolf of Wall Street, Robbie was part of a straight drama with satirical elements rather than a full-on comedy/comic-book fantasy, but she was still able to roll with the film's many OTT moments such as the scene where DiCaprio and Jonah Hill are off their heads on Quaaludes, and she did a great job with the broad accent.

Unfortunately for Margot, pretty much all her scenes with Leo resulted in her being overshadowed by Leo. Course if we're talking sex, then she was the primary focus, but only fleetingly. Other than that, it was very much the Leo show. Which came across as very intentional by Scorsese. Perhaps in the hopes of Leo finally getting that Oscar? I don't know. But personally, I find it difficult to view Wolf as a straight drama in any way you look at it. Maybe a comedic satire with elements of drama, but all the over-the-top shenanigans (and there was many) really paints a picture of continual hilarity.

QuoteI hear you, but I saw Man of Steel again a few weeks ago, and apart from Jonathan Kent's ridiculous death, the interminable final battle scene between Zod and Superman, and the overly dark, dreary look of the film, I surprisingly found plenty to enjoy and appreciate, including a new interpretation of Superman/Clark Kent that didn't exist in Christopher Reeve's shadow, genuinely menacing villains who didn't lack for conviction and some decent performances from all concerned including Cavill.

I appreciate MOS for effectively getting us out of the Donnerverse, and can easily get past perceived flaws the film has (Everthing wrong with ... does a good job with nitpicking films to deah), but at the same time, understand some of the issues people have with it. The final fight did go on a wee bit long, though I think the fight would have been a pretty accurate depiction if something like that really went down (similar to how a similar city battle in Alan Moore's run on Miracleman presented such a notion), and if I had my druthers, the death of Jonathan Kent would have remained a heart attack as I believe it's overall more effective, but course we all have our opinions. MOS finally put us in a more Post-Crisis world when it comes to Supes, and it was ABOUT TIME! Also, Cavill is aces as Superman. Same goes for Amy Adams as Lois.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I liked MOS but that last fight was ridonkulous. I think they're still going at it. And Johnathan Kent's death in the original Supes was a lot more dramatic because he COULD have saved his dad in MOS but he told him to stay back to protect his identity. In the original, none of his powers could have done a thing unless he tried turning the world back like he did to save Lois, and even that would have only bought him a few fleeting minutes to say goodbye.

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Mon, 10 Nov  2014, 21:45
I really want this Harley to be inspired by the animated Harley Quinn and her style and voice. After all, Harley was created specifically for animation. And she was so cool that they adapted her to the comics.

This.

I guess if I'm going to comment any further on Miss Margot I better see Wolf of Wall Street lol. I'm so out of touch on movies.

Quote from: Catwoman on Mon, 10 Nov  2014, 23:37
I liked MOS but that last fight was ridonkulous. I think they're still going at it. And Johnathan Kent's death in the original Supes was a lot more dramatic because he COULD have saved his dad in MOS but he told him to stay back to protect his identity.
Jonathan Kent's death in the 1978 Superman is one of the most powerful, poignant moments in comic-book movie history (the flashback scene in Batman 1989, Bruce trying to reach out to Selina at the end of Batman Returns, the various scenes between Alfred and Bruce in TDK and TDKR particularly in relation to Rachel, and more recently, the opening scene of the otherwise fun and peppy Guardians of the Galaxy also deserve to be mentioned).  MOS was never going to top that, but it's a shame that Jonathan Kent's voluntary death by tornado was so absurd/unbelievable, especially since Kevin Costner gives an otherwise very touching, compelling performance in the role.  But speaking as an animal-lover Jonathan Kent going back and sacrificing himself for the dog was just stupid and undermined the intended emotional power of his death.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

To me, Jonathan Kent going back to save the dog spoke volumes of his character, his heroic nature, and flies in the face of his comment of "maybe ..." that alot of people jumped on when a young Clark posed the question of letting the people die on the bus. Which I think was quite intentional. As it's also evident, within the context of the film, that Jonathan was extremely scared for his son to reveal himself to the world. In any sort of way. So much to the extent, in that he refused to be saved because of his belief. Which Clark even touches upon shortly thereafter with Lois at the cemetery. As a result, the dynamic for Clark changes from "I couldn't save him", to "I didn't save him" (again I think the former is more impactful). Which, in the grand scheme of things concerning the film, explains why he's essentially chosen to remain a mysterious stranger during the first half of the film, and only finally deciding to fully reveal himself to the world when Zod arrives to Earth with his crew and makes the substantial death toll threat.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

In theory I like Jonathan's line about possibly letting the kids on the bus die, but ultimately his words and sacrifice carry less weight and resonance than they should because Clark does reveal himself to the world as Superman and nothing in the film suggests he was right to hide himself from the world for so long.  In fact, had he revealed himself earlier he could have won over the world to the idea of 'super-powered' beings/aliens being good some time before Zod and his followers played to their worst fears.

I don't think it's either right or wrong argument, but simply a decision made for the fear of the unknown. A fear of what may happen if Clark would have revealed himself when not being really prepared for it. A very human fear, that Clark took the heart, and to which played a role in his deciding not to make a full reveal until he basically had no other choice. It plays differently than SM: The Movie, because MOS Supes lacks years of training/teachings of Jor-El. Rather, he gets a crash course of his destiny, something Jonathan could only allude to, but not fully embrace, and all hell breaks loose for him practically on day 1.

B v S will no doubt show a more seasoned Superman, but given the rumored plot, the notion of the public opinion being split on him is an interesting route to take, and further pulls away from the classic perception of Superman being a nearly universally beloved hero. 

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Mon, 10 Nov  2014, 21:45
I really want this Harley to be inspired by the animated Harley Quinn and her style and voice. After all, Harley was created specifically for animation. And she was so cool that they adapted her to the comics.
Pretty much the point I was going to make.

This isn't Harley

This is

Though I'm happy so see some site's using Alex Ross' fabulous art for Harley. As much as big studios want superhero costumes to be simplified to the point of being unrecognizable and muting vibrant colors, Ross' work shows that they can (and should) be done realistically with respect to the source material:

I guess that's all I have to say, not to familiar with the actress, but if she can channel Arleen Sorkin's manic performance, then I look forward to seeing her on the big screen.

I'm in 100% agreement Slash Man regarding costumes.

This will be the first time we see Harley in a live-action film (I'm ignoring the short-lived TV show "Birds of Prey") so let's see her in her traditional animated series costume, dammit!

Agreed with you guys.

The former pic just makes me think of going to a convention and seeing a chick cosplay as Harley.

The latter pic represents the proper/classic/traditional Harley Quinn.

I'll be surprised if they actually go with the proper Harley, due to the video games, and the Nu52 staying away from it for so long now, but would be pleasantly surprised if they did go the classic route. I'm just not looking for it to happen. I've seen some fan art of both Margo and Jared Leto as Harley and Joker, and it appears people still can't get Ledger out of their heads as a good number of art I've seen has Leto in the same, or very similar style look that Ledger was seen in. I certainly hope they stay away from the face paint/scars, as we've already seen that and there's really no reason to return to it. However, Leto appearing more like the Joker from The Dark Knight Returns would be interesting, especially in comparison to Affleck's Bats clearly being inspired from that version as well.

I just hope they don't have the Joker's face cut off and re-attached. Yuck. I saw a comic someone had drew, like a funny one, of his new face and I was like "Uhhhh whats with his face?" Then I read what it was supposed to be and about puked.

I like Harley's new costumes but yes, when I think of Harley there's one look I think of and that of course is the jester costume. Her new look is both cute and sexy (I would cosplay it in a heartbeat) but that's all it is. It doesn't have the "Harley magic." Maybe it will grow on me. I love that they like showing her belly button now lol but other than that, I'm with Mr. J. It's like a cosplay of a girl trying to impress (read: get the hotel room keys from) the hot guys.

I will say this and I am being totally honest with it. If the Joker in Suicide Squad is Ledger-y, I won't even bother with it probably because to me that means it has failed to move us on from the overrated, self-righteous Nolan series that thinks it is the start all and end all. I'll follow through on it too. Y'all know I'm a Catwoman girl first and foremost and I still haven't seen TDKR even though people keep telling me how great Anne was.