Rumour: Margot Robbie to play Harley Quinn for Suicide Squad

Started by The Laughing Fish, Mon, 10 Nov 2014, 08:38

Previous topic - Next topic
The Alex Ross pic to me is just the most amazing thing ever. I got a T-shirt with it for Christmas last year and I literally did my own Harley squeal  :D :D :D

I love where his hand is. Hehe.

I totally need the statue they've made of it but those things are so freaking expensive and I'm so freaking poor that I don't even bother looking at the merchandise most of the time. I stumbled onto it the other day hunting for comic books to buy on the DC site. It's amazing but out of Kitty's price range.  :(

Tue, 11 Nov 2014, 08:48 #21 Last Edit: Tue, 11 Nov 2014, 09:44 by The Laughing Fish
Let's remember that Robbie and Leto are still rumours at this point. But I can't deny that it's exciting to hear the possibility of Joker returning sooner than we think. And the likelihood of seeing Harley Quinn in a live action movie is great too.

Quote from: The Joker on Tue, 11 Nov  2014, 02:01
I don't think it's either right or wrong argument, but simply a decision made for the fear of the unknown. A fear of what may happen if Clark would have revealed himself when not being really prepared for it. A very human fear, that Clark took the heart, and to which played a role in his deciding not to make a full reveal until he basically had no other choice. It plays differently than SM: The Movie, because MOS Supes lacks years of training/teachings of Jor-El. Rather, he gets a crash course of his destiny, something Jonathan could only allude to, but not fully embrace, and all hell breaks loose for him practically on day 1.

I can buy the idea that Pa Kent sacrificed himself to spare his son the possibility of being persecuted by the human race. He knows what people are capable of, and no matter how misguided he might've been, he only wanted what's best for Clark. But I admittedly have a hard time believing that Clark would let his dad die. It's something too traumatic that the character didn't need; his alienation and uncertainty of his place in the world is troubling enough as it is. I honestly don't think it was necessary to kill Pa Kent at all, and the manner the filmmakers chose to get rid of him drew unfavorable comparisons to Donner's movie.

But despite saying this, I do agree that the lack of  opportunity of having proper guidance by Jor-El plays into the third act well because an untrained Clark is forced to overcome a dire situation for the human race on his first time out as Superman.

Quote from: Catwoman on Tue, 11 Nov  2014, 07:41
I will say this and I am being totally honest with it. If the Joker in Suicide Squad is Ledger-y, I won't even bother with it probably because to me that means it has failed to move us on from the overrated, self-righteous Nolan series that thinks it is the start all and end all.

You and me both.

Have you seen this bloody awful Photoshop image of Quinn as a Glasgow smiling cretin?

No.

No.

NO!

>:(
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: Catwoman on Tue, 11 Nov  2014, 07:41
Y'all know I'm a Catwoman girl first and foremost and I still haven't seen TDKR even though people keep telling me how great Anne was.

I liked Hathaway's performance a lot. The problem is the writing for her role was weak. She was just as underdeveloped as every other character in that series.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Tue, 11 Nov  2014, 08:48
I can buy the idea that Pa Kent sacrificed himself to spare his son the possibility of being persecuted by the human race. He knows what people are capable of, and no matter how misguided he might've been, he only wanted what's best for Clark. But I admittedly have a hard time believing that Clark would let his dad die. It's something too traumatic that the character didn't need; his alienation and uncertainty of his place in the world is troubling enough as it is. I honestly don't think it was necessary to kill Pa Kent at all, and the manner the filmmakers chose to get rid of him drew unfavorable comparisons to Donner's movie.

Given as psychologically repressed Clark's upbringing was, and given that it's clear his father made a very conscious decision not to be saved, I could buy this Clark obeying his father's wishes, but perhaps regretting it ever since. I would have a more difficult time with, say, the Donnerverse Clark doing the same thing. As I found that Clark to be a bit more prone to be ostentatious with his powers, than the repressed MOS Clark was.

The trauma of watching his father die, and thus the impact of that event on his psyche is a different topic altogether. I maintain that I believe that Jonathan dying of a heart attack, much like the Donner film, would have worked better overall. Though I personally would have been fine with Jonathan continuing to live on much like he did for most of the Post-Crisis Superman comics.

Have you seen this bloody awful Photoshop image of Quinn as a Glasgow smiling cretin?

I've seen that floating around since '07, or '08. I really hope they steer clear of the Ledgery appearance for Joker/Harley in this new DC cinematic universe....

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I wouldn't like to see them use the Glasgow smile and sloppy makeup anywhere else. When I first saw it for the Dark Knight, I wasn't a fan, but Heath's performance and the overall setting made it work. If he didn't nail the part, the whole Joker reimagining would have been laughed off.

As I made it a point before, things like appearance do matter when capturing the character. As much as people like Heath's Joker, he simply wouldn't work in the context of a Harley Quinn. Batman: The Animated Series shows the right degree of Joker needed for that.

Though back to appearance, we actually haven't seen many attempts to fully capture the character from the comic pages. This is one of the few cases where there's a source to compare to; Conrad Veidt. Bill's illustrations were a spitting image of him in his The Man Who Laughs makeup decked out as a 1920s gangster. The permanent grin was then created by large fake teeth, which gave birth to the Joker's toothy grin. I think Jack was the closest, however, it still wasn't exact. This is stretching it a little, but IMO Hugo Blick was the closest onscreen match to the original Joker, face-wise.

Basically, I hope that they actually try to give us an accurate classic Joker, and not a trendy "gritty Joker." I haven't much to say about Jared Leto. I just hope he can get crazy.

Quote from: Slash Man on Thu, 13 Nov  2014, 07:33
This is stretching it a little, but IMO Hugo Blick was the closest onscreen match to the original Joker, face-wise.
In my humble opinion, you're right.  :)
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Thu, 13 Nov  2014, 07:47
Quote from: Slash Man on Thu, 13 Nov  2014, 07:33
This is stretching it a little, but IMO Hugo Blick was the closest onscreen match to the original Joker, face-wise.
In my humble opinion, you're right.  :)

Your opinion is never humble.

The whole face paint and scars was just not Joker to me. I get that in Christopher Nolan's little world of realism a vat of chemicals wouldn't have worked but maybe he should have skipped the Joker then.

I didn't know until I read her origin story in Suicide Squad that in the new dealio Harley went through the same thing and it isn't just makeup and stuff. I think I like that but I'm not sure lol. But of course I would much rather them do that then give her a scarred-up, sliced up mouth and sloppy face paint.

Agree about Hugo Blick. He also reminds me of Dracula for some reason.

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Thu, 13 Nov  2014, 18:00
Agree about Hugo Blick. He also reminds me of Dracula for some reason.

Dracula! I was trying to think of who else he reminded me of.