Ben Affleck is Batman

Started by BatmAngelus, Fri, 23 Aug 2013, 01:21

Previous topic - Next topic
It seems JK Simmons is coming back.

EXCLUSIVE: Bad Boys for Life breakout Jacob Scipio is set to join Leslie Grace in Warner Bros and DC Films' Batgirl. J.K. Simmons is also on board to reprise his role of Commissioner Gordon, and Grace recently landed the role of Barbara Gordon. Scipio's Bad Boys For Life directors Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah are helming.

https://deadline.com/2021/10/batgirl-jacob-scipio-leslie-grace-1234857334/

From what I heard, this news was not announced at DC FanDome.

As Batman is heavily expected to appear in this film, we'll have to wait and see if Affleck is confirmed to reprise the role. If he does then it certainly means he doesn't die in The Flash.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

So Batgirl is set in the DCEU. That was something I was unsure of. Looks like we know now.

Keaton may be replacing Affleck, but I guess we just have to wait and see.

Quote from: Travesty on Wed, 20 Oct  2021, 14:25
So Batgirl is set in the DCEU. That was something I was unsure of. Looks like we know now.

We know Keaton is replacing Affleck.

So Batgirl is set in the DCEU.

It depends on what you the term DCEU means to you. I personally can't bring myself to use that label nowadays because it's less of a shared universe, and more of a series of films that's loosely connected to each other. Otherwise, they're not connected at all.

I read another rumour alleging that won't be the case.

https://geekositymag.com/ben-afflecks-batman-wont-die-in-the-flash-movie/

But if it's true that The Flash will be Affleck's last appearance as Batman, he will be replaced by a brand new actor. I don't believe in scoops who say Keaton will be his long term replacement. I love Keaton as much as everyone else here, but that particular rumour doesn't make any sense.

Keaton isn't getting any younger. How many movies and how many years do people really expect him to continue playing the role? Up until his mid to late seventies? If he's expected to wear the costume again for multiple times after The Flash, then that's totally unrealistic. If he retires as an elderly Bruce Wayne who replaces Affleck then all that means the DC universe won't have an active Batman anymore, other than possibly Terry McGinnis or whoever. That wouldn't make any sense either.

Another reason why I believe this scoop is bogus is because rebooting the DC timeline to incorporate Keaton will radically change the entire Burtonverse canon. Really, Commissioner Gordon goes from Pat Hingle to suddenly becoming JK Simmons? In real life, Simmons and Keaton are only four years apart from each other, in terms of age. Having Gordon around the same age as Batman just doesn't really add up. And why the hell would DC Comics commission a Batman '89 comic book run if that new retroactive continuity risks getting thrown out anyway?

If they're not really mixing Burtonvese with the main DC movie timeline per se, does this mean Batgirl will transport from one universe to another, like Flash and Supergirl do in the Arrowverse? That got old very quickly, and I think such loopholes attempting to explain away continuity differences would get tiresome here too.

We shall see, but at this point in time, I believe Keaton staying in his own Batman Beyond universe, while the other Batman (whether it's Affleck or whoever) stays active in the so-called "DCEU" is a much more credible rumour.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Another thing that troubles me is that Batgirl is still slated for a 2022 release. Assuming it keeps that date, and assuming that as an HBOMAX title it will require less turnaround to get to the screen...wouldn't that mean that Batgirl would precede the Flash as the Flash is coming December 2022?

I'm just not buying this, unless they're introing Batgirl just to have her get instantly reconned into a post crisis version of herself?

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Thu, 21 Oct  2021, 17:03
I'm just not buying this, unless they're introing Batgirl just to have her get instantly reconned into a post crisis version of herself?
Pattinson is their main cinematic Batman. Keaton will replace Affleck, but I see him being more of a mentor with bare minimum suit wearing or action. His age or JK Simmons' age is irrelevant in that case, as Batgirl would be the primary antagonist. All the B89 comic series content all would have happened and would remain canon. Nothing gets thrown away as you have to take that journey to get to the timeline merge, which is decades of prior adventures. It's not hard to see the trajectory or even how it will work.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 22 Oct  2021, 02:02
Pattinson is their main cinematic Batman. Keaton will replace Affleck, but I see him being more of a mentor with bare minimum suit wearing or action. His age or JK Simmons' age is irrelevant in that case, as Batgirl would be the primary antagonist. All the B89 comic series content all would have happened and would remain canon. Nothing gets thrown away as you have to take that journey to get to the timeline merge, which is decades of prior adventures. It's not hard to see the trajectory or even how it will work.
How isn't the problem. The mechanics aren't the problem. I'm well versed in that. It's a matter of JK Simmons, which I don't think can be hand waved away.

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Fri, 22 Oct  2021, 13:44
How isn't the problem. The mechanics aren't the problem. I'm well versed in that. It's a matter of JK Simmons, which I don't think can be hand waved away.
Also 'VampireAnon' just confirmed that their Flash info is more than a year old. The recon might not even be the ending now. There were at least 3 versions of this version of The Flash story.

Another thing that troubles me is that Batgirl is still slated for a 2022 release. Assuming it keeps that date, and assuming that as an HBOMAX title it will require less turnaround to get to the screen...wouldn't that mean that Batgirl would precede the Flash as the Flash is coming December 2022?

I'd be very surprised if Batgirl doesn't get pushed back. They would have to finish the casting call soon and start shooting ASAP if it's to meet its release date. So far, there are only three actors who are confirmed.

I don't think it makes any sense to introduce Batgirl in a new movie, only to retcon her immediately in her next appearance. Why bother making the film if you're essentially going to retcon the character anyway?

Quote [size=0px]Also 'VampireAnon' just confirmed that their Flash info is more than a year old. The recon might not even be the ending now. There were at least 3 versions of this version of The Flash story. [/size]

This is why I reckon the other rumour about Flash is no longer killing Affleck off has logic. But again, we shall see.

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Fri, 22 Oct  2021, 13:54
Quote from: Gotham Knight on Fri, 22 Oct  2021, 13:44
Also 'VampireAnon' just confirmed that their Flash info is more than a year old. The recon might not even be the ending now. There were at least 3 versions of this version of The Flash story.
The way I understand it, Hingle would still be Keaton's Gordon but he died long ago. The two worlds would merge, with voids filled by other elements. Simmons wouldn't become Hingle or anything like that.

It comes down to this: do you seriously believe Keaton is returning for only one film? Because I don't. Batfleck may or not die at the end and I really hope he doesn't. The fact it was bandied about at all shows their intent with him. Changing that detail shouldn't be too hard while retaining the core mechanics of the story. Affleck is doing a brief cameo for the fans, and I'm thankful for that. But I still don't see him continuing the ongoing story from here.