Ben Affleck is Batman

Started by BatmAngelus, Fri, 23 Aug 2013, 01:21

Previous topic - Next topic
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Paul, I think you beat both Batman-On-Film and Batman-News in posting the news!
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

I'm very optimistic about this.  8)

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

As a friend of mine put it, it'll be very strange having a director in front of the camera who's better than the one behind it.

That was unexpected.

I'm not terribly fussed, I'm eager to judge him on merit rather than supposed looks. I hope he can do the role justice and avoid the kind of overacting that Bale did.

Quote from: zDBZ on Fri, 23 Aug  2013, 03:27
As a friend of mine put it, it'll be very strange having a director in front of the camera who's better than the one behind it.
On the other hand, it <b>could</b> be a great opportunity to have a better director behind a potential Justice League movie.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Ok. So when I first heard this news, I was all WTF. Totally left field casting.

But hours have since passed, and I'm getting used to the idea. It does feel like Clooney being cast in B&R. They're both big names. It does run the risk of being Ben Affleck in a bat suit, even if the characterisation is different. And it will be. It is what it is, and looking on the positive side:

Bale is no more. Officially done.
Affleck is American.
I can see him playing the tuxedo wearing Bruce Wayne facet. And if the Batman side is gruff and grim, that's a good mix.

All in all, unexpected. It could have been someone like JGL, and that really would have been hell.

Fri, 23 Aug 2013, 04:54 #8 Last Edit: Fri, 23 Aug 2013, 05:21 by BatmAngelus
Some things worth nothing:

- Physically, at 6'4", I believe Affleck will be the tallest actor to don the cowl.  I can definitely see his jawline in the cowl.  Plus, have you guys seen The Town?  He was ripped in that movie.  If he's kept in the same shape (or gets in even better condition), there won't be a huge problem with his physicality.  Also, Affleck actually has black hair, while most live action incarnations have had brown hair (i.e. West, Bale).

- This obviously isn't his first time in a superhero suit.  Not only was he in Daredevil, but he played George Reeves in Hollywoodland where his character had an affair with Diane Lane!  Guess they didn't have to cast Josh Brolin in this to make this connection after all!

- A lot of the negative comments center around Daredevil.  But let's be honest- Affleck's Daredevil voice > Bale's Batman voice  ;)

*pukes everywhere*

i will wait till the movie shows up on fx. like two weeks after its theatrical release.