Ben Affleck is Batman

Started by BatmAngelus, Fri, 23 Aug 2013, 01:21

Previous topic - Next topic
This must've shared elsewhere in the forum, but it's worth reposting here.

Affleck looking back on his Batman experience, while promoting his new movie Air and his newly formed production company.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/feature/ben-affleck-air-production-company-grammys-memes-justice-league-1235353301/

You're launching this company at a time when the movie business is changing.

When The Way Back came out, I knew. It came out the weekend they shut the theaters down with COVID. But that's not an excuse. Because I knew as it was coming out, just the tracking, I was like, "OK, here's a movie about a guy, son dies, gets divorced, alcoholic. Nobody's going to go to the theater to see this f***ing movie. They're just not." I felt it. Succession is on. Ozark. Narcos. Game of Thrones. You're not competing with [1980s crime drama] Simon & Simon on an 11-inch black-and-white TV. There's really beautiful stuff being made. My daughter is 17. She lives her life largely in opposition to the work her parents have spent their lives dedicated to, where she'll say things like, "I'm not sure film is really ... Do you think it's a genuine art form?" I like the fact that she has this silver rapier tongue. But anyway, I went into it going, "OK, these movies aren't f***ing working anymore. And these are the ones I like."

As opposed to —

The Justice League experience, the fact that those stories became somewhat repetitive to me and less interesting. Yeah, I did finally figure out how to play that character [Batman], and I nailed it in The Flash. For the five minutes I'm there, it's really great. A lot of it's just tone. You've got to figure out, what's your version of the person? Who is the guy that fits what you can do? I tried to fit myself into a Batman. And by the way, I like a lot of the stuff we did, especially the first one [Batman v Superman].

But not Justice League. What went wrong there?

Justice League ... You could teach a seminar on all the reasons why this is how not to do it. Ranging from production to bad decisions to horrible personal tragedy, and just ending with the most monstrous taste in my mouth. The genius, and the silver lining, is that Zack Snyder eventually went to AT&T and was like, "Look, I can get you four hours of content." And it's principally just all the slow motion that he shot in black-and-white. And one day of shooting with me and him. He was like, "Do you want to come shoot in my backyard?" I was like, "I think there are unions, Zack. I think we have to make a deal." But I went and did it. And now [Zack Snyder's Justice League] is my highest-rated movie on IMDb.

Isn't that because Zack Snyder's fans are so intense online?

Say what you want, it is my highest-rated career movie. I've never had one that went from nadir to pinnacle. Retroactively, it's a hit. All of a sudden I was getting congratulated for the bomb I'm in. But I was going to direct a Batman, and [Justice League] made me go, "I'm out. I never want to do any of this again. I'm not suited." That was the worst experience I've ever seen in a business which is full of some sh*tty experiences. It broke my heart. There was an idea of someone [Joss Whedon] coming in, like, "I'll rescue you and we'll do 60 days of shooting and I'll write a whole thing around what you have. I've got the secret." And it wasn't the secret. That was hard. And I started to drink too much. I was back at the hotel in London, it was either that or jump out the window. And I just thought, "This isn't the life I want. My kids aren't here. I'm miserable." You want to go to work and find something interesting to hang onto, rather than just wearing a rubber suit, and most of it you're just standing against the computer screen going, "If this nuclear waste gets loose, we'll ..." That's fine. I don't condescend to that or put it down, but I got to a point where I found it creatively not satisfying. Also just, you're sweaty and exhausted. And I thought, "I don't want to participate in this in any way. And I don't want to squander any more of my life, of which I have a limited amount."

So if DC came to you now and said, "Do you want to direct something?"

I would not direct something for the [James] Gunn DC. Absolutely not. I have nothing against James Gunn. Nice guy, sure he's going to do a great job. I just wouldn't want to go in and direct in the way they're doing that. I'm not interested in that.

First of all, I'll forever kick myself for thinking the guy was a prima donna when was getting out he was likely leaving the role. If I had known about the problems surrounding JL behind the scenes and his own personal troubles, I would never have doubted his integrity. Lesson learned.

I appreciate Affleck sticking up for the fans when the question was framed in a way to make them look negative, judging how the word "intense" was used to describe them. Knowing his dedication for Snyder's vision, you can tell Affleck appreciated the call to get ZSJL to salvage the experience he had after Whedon and co ruined it for him and everybody else.

I loved how Affleck remained professional on the subject on Gunn and DC while insisting he has no interest whatsoever working with him. This made Gunn look bad because he claimed Affleck was eager to direct a project under his watch, even claiming Affleck wanted to be one of the architects of this soft reboot. Gunn lies, water is wet.

Interesting comments about his small role in The Flash. Affleck always appreciated the direction of where his character was going in BvS, so that's not new, but the way he talks about the Flash appearance sounded as if he wish could still reprise the role. And that definitely looked like the case, when he was brought back for a cameo in Aquaman 2 before all hell broke loose.

There was another audio snippet of an interview he did a few weeks ago describing a scene where he was helped by Wonder Woman chasing down some criminals during the first act. Chances are, sadly, these scenes are going to be either cut or heavily edited thanks to the idiotic idea of using this movie to kick off Gunn's ego trip.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I read that Ben Affleck's name did NOT appear in the closing credits of The Flash at all. This is despite the fact his footage and his bat insignia appeared in the trailers.

I would've thought maybe he requested to get his name removed because of the shoddy quality of the final product, what's strange is Affleck attended the red carpet premiere.

Was this Gunn and WBD's petty little way of punishing him for not wanting to direct under Gunn? Remember, Gunn declared Affleck wanted to be an architect for this DCU agenda. I can imagine he must've felt very embarrassed and upset after being exposed for that lie.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun,  9 Jul  2023, 08:35I read that Ben Affleck's name did NOT appear in the closing credits of The Flash at all. This is despite the fact his footage and his bat insignia appeared in the trailers.

I would've thought maybe he requested to get his name removed because of the shoddy quality of the final product, what's strange is Affleck attended the red carpet premiere.

Was this Gunn and WBD's petty little way of punishing him for not wanting to direct under Gunn? Remember, Gunn declared Affleck wanted to be an architect for this DCU agenda. I can imagine he must've felt very embarrassed and upset after being exposed for that lie.

Neither did Gal Gadot or Jason Mamoa (who we know is still attached to DC *for now*) because they were all Cameos and those dont have to be credited.

Jeremy Irons, Temurea Morrison were credited so take that as you will

Quote from: eledoremassis02 on Sun, 23 Jul  2023, 23:53Neither did Gal Gadot or Jason Mamoa (who we know is still attached to DC *for now*) because they were all Cameos and those dont have to be credited.

Affleck had more screen time than Irons in that whole baby shower sequence alone, yet the latter gets credited? That makes no sense.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Mon, 24 Jul  2023, 02:46
Quote from: eledoremassis02 on Sun, 23 Jul  2023, 23:53Neither did Gal Gadot or Jason Mamoa (who we know is still attached to DC *for now*) because they were all Cameos and those dont have to be credited.

Affleck had more screen time than Irons in that whole baby shower sequence alone, yet the latter gets credited? That makes no sense.

I think it's just a weird industry thing. Plus Afflecks screentime was extended (with reports he wouldnt of even worn the Batsuit and thats why he looks weird *because is a suit made for a stunt double*). In the special features Andy Muschietti even talks about Affleck expanding his role and being hands on (and given the freedom he gave Keaton, and allowed Miller to co-write a scene in the middle of filming) it does not seem far fetched.

Watching Affleck and Gaddot (and to some extend Miller) have fun on set, in a very similar way they did on ZSJL is good enough for me even if the film was not what is was supposed to from inception. After the crap they had to go thru with the JL reshoots. I'm just happy seeing them have fun as the charaters again.