Ben Affleck is Batman

Started by BatmAngelus, Fri, 23 Aug 2013, 01:21

Previous topic - Next topic
A few years ago, Kevin Conroy revealed who his favourite Batman is.

I think Ben Affleck has probably gotten the best balance of the two. He's a really good Bruce Wayne and a really good Batman.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.syfy.com/syfywire/kevin-conroy-ben-affleck-is-the-best-live-action-batman%3famp
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 25 Jul  2020, 06:18
I don't think I ever questioned Affleck in the role. By then, I trusted Snyder. But Affleck as Batman seemed kind of like a no-brainer.

(And considering the amount of crap he's taken over the years for playing the role, he's due some praise for a job well done)
It's incredible how much of an impact he made on the franchise in a short space of time.

This isn't the Schumacher series, but look how 'toyetic' things could be if they really wanted:

Four suits: Standard, mech, Knightmare, tactical
Four vehicles: Batmobile, Batwing, Knightcrawler, Flying Fox
Two cool personal cars: Aston Martin DB Mark II, Mercedes-Benz AMG Vision Gran Turismo

The Robin suit is a small touch but adds so much. Visual filmmaking at its best. No dialogue necessary.

Of all the Batman actors so far, I find him the most believable in combat. He's big, mean and credible as a 20 year veteran. The voice is disguised but not the point of parody. Big ticks of approval on those fronts. I like what Keaton did with his socially awkward Bruce Wayne, and a lot of my heart is with that portrayal. However from a more traditional point of view, Affleck nails the billionaire playboy component extremely well. Luthor's party being a good example. 

I am finding it easier to disassociate an actor from their role. I find Affleck likable in this role. With Snyder's direction and aesthetic, they nailed it. A Batman who operates within a Justice League scenario gets to be more of a powerful badass, because he needs to operate at that level. It gives things added excitement, just as how Batfleck took down Superman.

Can't wait for ZSJL to expand upon his legacy. I'm eager to see everything, particularly with Superman, but Batfleck remains my main focus.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 27 Jan  2021, 07:01
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 25 Jul  2020, 06:18
I don't think I ever questioned Affleck in the role. By then, I trusted Snyder. But Affleck as Batman seemed kind of like a no-brainer.

(And considering the amount of crap he's taken over the years for playing the role, he's due some praise for a job well done)
It's incredible how much of an impact he made on the franchise in a short space of time.

This isn't the Schumacher series, but look how 'toyetic' things could be if they really wanted:

Four suits: Standard, mech, Knightmare, tactical
Four vehicles: Batmobile, Batwing, Knightcrawler, Flying Fox
Two cool personal cars: Aston Martin DB Mark II, Mercedes-Benz AMG Vision Gran Turismo

The Robin suit is a small touch but adds so much. Visual filmmaking at its best. No dialogue necessary.

Of all the Batman actors so far, I find him the most believable in combat. He's big, mean and credible as a 20 year veteran. The voice is disguised but not the point of parody. Big ticks of approval on those fronts. I like what Keaton did with his socially awkward Bruce Wayne, and a lot of my heart is with that portrayal. However from a more traditional point of view, Affleck nails the billionaire playboy component extremely well. Luthor's party being a good example. 

I am finding it easier to disassociate an actor from their role. I find Affleck likable in this role. With Snyder's direction and aesthetic, they nailed it. A Batman who operates within a Justice League scenario gets to be more of a powerful badass, because he needs to operate at that level. It gives things added excitement, just as how Batfleck took down Superman.

Can't wait for ZSJL to expand upon his legacy. I'm eager to see everything, particularly with Superman, but Batfleck remains my main focus.
I enjoy all the actors who have played the character.

But like you, Affleck holds a special place in my heart. A very Tim Sale/Bob Kane-looking Bruce, a very Millerized Batman, large, in charge, powerful and dangerous. He's a man who knows his limits and frequently pushes beyond them to get the job done.

Plus, in terms of sheer brutality, he's probably my favorite because you rly do buy that he could and would swoop into a warehouse full of baddies and beat the stuffings out of all of them. History will treat him very kindly, I think.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed, 27 Jan  2021, 07:10
But like you, Affleck holds a special place in my heart.
Batfleck excited me so much, especially given the contrasts against Nolan. I wrote this analysis (after the original copy was lost) in 2016 and I think my enthusiasm from the time can still be felt:

https://www.batman-online.com/features/2016/4/12/batmans-new-dawn#sthash.jr3n7nJR.dpbs

I've seen some say Batfleck not having a solo movie of his own lessens his standing amongst the others. I don't get that logic. BvS was effectively a solo film with his level of screen time, as far as I am concerned. He's had pretty much everything the other actors have had - parent murder sequence, a character arc, a batcave, Wayne Manor, Alfred, etc. It's all there.

And one other thing: I dig how Batfleck is valued as an experienced warrior in ZSJL. He's giving the "not us united" speech and all eyes are on him. They're in his base of operations, and are about to fly into battle in his plane. Batfleck in the context of a Justice League gives him an unfair advantage when compared to other Batmen, if anything. None of them, sans a Keaton return in Flashpoint, have that stature.

Production designer Patrick Tatopoulos uploaded another version of Batfleck's first look on Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRW3IUznT_B/

This is still the best Batfleck costume, and one of the best live action costumes to date. The black and grey is the perfect colour contrast, as opposed with the saturated blue hue they gave him in Josstice League. It sets the tone of the mood too, colour gatekeepers be damned.

I notice fans on social media are preparing a letter writing campaign to #MakeTheBatfleckMovie some time next week, in addition to the Ayer cut campaign later this week. I don't know if the rumours of him being courted to star on his own HBO Max mini-series are true, or if The Flash will mark his final appearance. What I do know is that despite the critics trying to tell you otherwise, you'll be hard-pressed to find another Batman actor who has ignited such passionate fandom.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

It was rumoured a month or so ago that JK Simmons is expected to reprise his role as Commissioner Gordon for the upcoming Batgirl. Now it's reported that Batman is expected to be included. If this screenshot from one of the director's Instagram Story is anything to go by, the Batman in question might be Affleck.

One thing is certain, if Simmons is playing Gordon again, then Batgirl won't take place in the Burtonverse.

I think this is confirmation. It is nice to clear some of this up. DC always has this feeling that its in limbo until another movie gets made. And while I do like the idea of a continuity reset and was behind it, it would be a tremendous mess that DC/WB just don't have the wherewithal to handle.

From what I heard, the Batgirl project only had to show off concept art at DC FanDome. No news over any new castings at all, let alone Simmons or Affleck.

The whole event sounds like a total waste of time.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Mon,  9 Aug  2021, 13:43
Production designer Patrick Tatopoulos uploaded another version of Batfleck's first look on Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRW3IUznT_B/

This is still the best Batfleck costume, and one of the best live action costumes to date. The black and grey is the perfect colour contrast, as opposed with the saturated blue hue they gave him in Josstice League. It sets the tone of the mood too, colour gatekeepers be damned.

I notice fans on social media are preparing a letter writing campaign to #MakeTheBatfleckMovie some time next week, in addition to the Ayer cut campaign later this week. I don't know if the rumours of him being courted to star on his own HBO Max mini-series are true, or if The Flash will mark his final appearance. What I do know is that despite the critics trying to tell you otherwise, you'll be hard-pressed to find another Batman actor who has ignited such passionate fandom.

This should have been the first photo released. I think it would have turned more people onto Batfleck alot earlier.

Sun, 17 Oct 2021, 07:51 #279 Last Edit: Sun, 17 Oct 2021, 07:55 by The Laughing Fish
Quote from: eledoremassis02 on Sun, 17 Oct  2021, 03:03
This should have been the first photo released. I think it would have turned more people onto Batfleck alot earlier.

It is a superior shot than the first official picture that was released, but don't underestimate the stupidity of people. Even before BvS came out, people were even nitpicking over the most insignificant detail. Worst of all, they had the gall to complain about the dark tone of the movie, despite anything else that's dark and Batman-related was celebrated before and afterwards.

Hypocrites.