Danny Elfman’s Justice League Score

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sat, 30 Sep 2017, 17:51

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Travesty on Wed,  1 Nov  2017, 15:36
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed,  1 Nov  2017, 09:54
If he gives us a full throated version of the John Williams Superman theme in JL, that's just fan service that confuses the DCEU brand.
That's the thing that so many people are missing. He's not using a "full throated" version of William's score. He incorporated it into his score. You can hear what he's using in Friends and Foe at the 2:18 mark. The same will be said about his B89 theme. He's not just dropping a full version of his old theme, he's incorporating it into the new score. And he's still using Zimmer's MOS theme for Superman, as we've been hearing it in the trailers. He's only dropping Junkie's Batman theme, and like I said earlier, it only makes sense...to me, at least.
I'm aware of that. But here's the rub. Elfman wouldn't outright say if he is using the Zimmer Superman Theme. He only committed to using the Wonder Woman Theme. Apparently an early cut featured the full blown Williams theme during Superman's return to battle....which they said could've been an early placeholder piece. But I'm not completely sure at the moment. Other chatter suggests parts of Zimmer's MoS score (the piano notes) are used, ala the final trailer, but not the heroic part people love. It's just a waiting game to see the movie now.

Well, the same can be said about WW. We never got a full blown version of Zimmer's theme that he used in BvS, as Rupert Gregson-Williams only used pieces of it in his score in WW, but it was till there. Same can be said about Elfman, aside from Batman.

And I don't even know why this is such a contentious piece of news? He's still incorporating parts of the themes from other characters, yet, still making his own score. As he or any composer should. This is an ensemble of heroes coming together. When looking at something like The Animated Series, Batman had a theme, and Superman had a theme. Both were distinct and worked for those shows. But when Lolita Ritmanis came in to do the main score/theme for JL, she didn't feel compelled to use the same themes for Batman or Superman. These aren't the solo movies, so it's not nearly as important to have individual themes. The fact that we are getting samples of them incorporated into Elfman's score is a bonus, but not needed for an ensemble team up. If these were the solo movies, maybe I can see the concern, but seeing as this is JL, I just don't get it.

From what I understand, John Williams' theme is just a cameo. I was under the impression it was only going to be used once. However, I was assuming the use of Zimmer's MOS theme in the trailers was taken directly from that score. I need to re-watch that last trailer, I guess.

I think we're losing focus here. Elfman is ejecting Junkie's Batman theme (for reasons which don't reflect well on him at that) and using his. Meanwhile, the other characters' existing themes will be preserved and there will be winks to what's come before. Which is fine but not the point. The point is that Elfman is seriously out of line in doing this.

If Batman is to have one definitive theme (and I would argue he shouldn't because that's the entire point of the character!) then there's no reason to select Elfman's theme over, say, Drake's theme from the TDKR animated movies, Walker's BTAS stuff, Goldenthal's wonderful music, Zimmer's own work from the Nolan trilogy or any number of other possibilities. Seriously, how is Elfman's stuff objectively better than any of those other options?

I can tolerate what Elfman is doing with the other characters. Because whatever. But right now, this very second, my primary investment in the DCEU is Batman. Affleck under the cowl and Junkie's amazing Wagneresque hero theme. So tossing out what Junkie has done is just senseless.

Frankly, I'd probably respect Elfman more if he went the whole nine yards and devised a totally new theme for Batman rather than reintroducing his B89/BR hero theme.

I'm sorry, but Elfman is not out of line here.  He is totally entitled as a composer to keep his own iconic theme.  I think what many people don't realize is that were dealing with Batman.  Not Ben Affleck, Christian Bale, etc etc... It's not about Actors in costume.  It's about BATMAN period. And the best live action musical representation of such a character is Elfman's Iconic Score, end of story.   I seriously can't believe all the complaining I've been hearing regarding this.  We should be celebrating Elfman's return and be greatful to sit in the cinema and hear that theme played in full glory, instead of nitpicking and moaning cause of the continuity with the other films.  In the end all that matters is we are going to be getting a great score and that is all that you need.  So for the love of God Just Be Damned Greatful.    

Wed, 1 Nov 2017, 23:42 #35 Last Edit: Wed, 1 Nov 2017, 23:54 by GoNerdYourself
I'm reserving my opinions on the score (and the movie) until I hear it (and see it). If I like it, I like it. If I don't, I don't.

EDIT: This isn't to trump on anyone's strong thoughts on the subject. I just don't feel I've heard enough of the JL score to form a solid opinion of it yet.

Quote from: THE BAT-MAN on Wed,  1 Nov  2017, 22:57
He is totally entitled as a composer to keep his own iconic theme.
Sure, but it still doesn't make sense. A lighter version of the DCEU theme or a brand new theme would've been more ideal.
I think what many people don't realize is that were dealing with Batman.  Not Ben Affleck, Christian Bale, etc etc...
We are dealing with Ben Affleck's Batman, not Michael Keaton's Batman. I'm not sure you realize that - that's exactly what the beef is. It is about actors because that's how eras are defined.
And the best live action musical representation of such a character is Elfman's Iconic Score, end of story.
That's completely subjective. End of story.
I seriously can't believe all the complaining I've been hearing regarding this.  We should be celebrating Elfman's return and be greatful to sit in the cinema and hear that theme played in full glory, instead of nitpicking and moaning cause of the continuity with the other films.
If this creates continuity problems I'm going to say so. Pointing out a simple fact does not equal whining.
In the end all that matters is we are going to be getting a great score and that is all that you need.  So for the love of God Just Be Damned Greatful.
I don't have a problem with the musical direction of JL in terms of the lighter mood. But I have *always* been strict on musical continuity.
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed,  1 Nov  2017, 20:58
Frankly, I'd probably respect Elfman more if he went the whole nine yards and devised a totally new theme for Batman rather than reintroducing his B89/BR hero theme.
Yep.
Quote from: GoNerdYourself on Wed,  1 Nov  2017, 20:18
From what I understand, John Williams' theme is just a cameo.
That's what I'm hoping. Danny's attitude regarding Batman had made me second guess his intentions.

Thu, 2 Nov 2017, 03:48 #37 Last Edit: Thu, 2 Nov 2017, 03:53 by THE BAT-MAN
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu,  2 Nov  2017, 00:02
Sure, but it still doesn't make sense. A lighter version of the DCEU theme or a brand new theme would've been more ideal.

It does make sense you just can't comprehend it.  A new theme would be pointless. 

We are dealing with Ben Affleck's Batman, not Michael Keaton's Batman. I'm not sure you realize that - that's exactly what the beef is. It is about actors because that's how eras are defined.

Wrong.  Take a good look at The James Bond franchise.  They all have several different actors, which all take place in different eras.  Yet The Bond theme remains true to the character and not by the actor portraying him.

And the best live action musical representation of such a character is Elfman's Iconic Score, end of story.
That's completely subjective. End of story.

It may be subjective, but do you honestly think that Hans Zimmer or Junkie XL created a better "live action" Iconic musical representation of Batman more so than Danny Elfman?  No offense but Junkie XL's Music for Batman is One Dimensional same with Zimmer.  Danny's score is much more Versatile to the character.  Don't get me wrong here, I actually liked Junkie XL's efforts more so than Hans Zimmer.

I don't have a problem with the musical direction of JL in terms of the lighter mood. But I have *always* been strict on musical continuity.

What's with everyone thinking that Elfman's score is lighter? I mean sure not every character in Justice League is Batman. Which makes sense to give lighter themes to the other league members.  But almost everyone is acting like his Batman Music is light all of a sudden.  When in fact it's very sound is true to the character.  Dark, Mysterious, Gothic, Operatic, and Heroic.  WTF, am I missing something here?

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed,  1 Nov  2017, 20:58

Batman doesn't need a new theme.  He already has a iconic one and the same could be said for Superman.  but no, all you can see is that those themes belong in a separate Universe such as the Burtonverse or the Donnerverse.  You don't seem to realize that not all of us look at it that way.  Elfman's Theme is BATMAN in it's purest form.  Sure it's easy to associate it with Tim Burton or Michael Keaton.  but honestly it belongs to the character despite the era or the universe it takes place in,  the director's vision, or actor portraying him.  It's still BATMAN and the same goes for John Williams Superman.   

Quote from: THE BAT-MAN on Thu,  2 Nov  2017, 03:48
It does make sense you just can't comprehend it.
It doesn't make sense, you just can't comprehend it.
Wrong.  Take a good look at The James Bond franchise.  They all have several different actors, which all take place in different eras.  Yet The Bond theme remains true to the character and not by the actor portraying him.
Nope, you're dead wrong. Bond (1962-2002) is a loosely connected series despite the actor changes. In Licence to Kill they reference the events of OHMSS, a 1969 film starring George Lazenby. And regardless, Batman has never kept the same theme - that's just how things are. There has always been a different theme for each incarnation. The rules have been established here. Elfman is simply ignoring them.

It may be subjective, but do you honestly think that Hans Zimmer or Junkie XL created a better "live action" Iconic musical representation of Batman more so than Danny Elfman?  No offense but Junkie XL's Music for Batman is One Dimensional same with Zimmer.  Danny's score is much more Versatile to the character.  Don't get me wrong here, I actually liked Junkie XL's efforts more so than Hans Zimmer.
It is subjective, and we shouldn't even be talking about Danny Elfman's Batman theme here. Because it has just as much in common to Ben Affleck as the 60s, Goldenthal or Zimmer themes. I love Elfman's theme but the fact it's a good theme has nothing to do with this conversation.
What's with everyone thinking that Elfman's score is lighter? I mean sure not every character in Justice League is Batman. Which makes sense to give lighter themes to the other league members.  But almost everyone is acting like his Batman Music is light all of a sudden.  When in fact it's very sound is true to the character.  Dark, Mysterious, Gothic, Operatic, and Heroic.  WTF, am I missing something here?
You're missing a lot. Elfman's music does have a lighter, whimsical touch even though it has dark elements. That's not a putdown, it's just how things are. Compare Zimmer to Elfman. There's a difference in the tone.
You don't seem to realize that not all of us look at it that way.
And that is your failing - you can't comprehend the simplicity of what we're saying. It's not the same Batman. It's Ben Affleck's.

Danny Elfman has definitely taken the same approach as the Reeve Superman devotees - arguing that the score should be prevalent in all media.

I think people need to understand between preference and fact. I for one regard Elfman's theme as my favourite like a lot of people here. I love it to bits. But if I were to be objective for a minute, I can't necessarily say that it's definitive. Yes, it's iconic, but it's not definitive. We've had different movies and TV shows over the years that had different music to evoke Batman regardless whether you like them or not. Personally, I don't see this any different than stubborn people who only want to watch a new Superman movie that's a Christopher Reeve clone. Calling back to a bygone era only stifles experimenting new ideas and creativity.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei