Danny Elfman’s Justice League Score

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sat, 30 Sep 2017, 17:51

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: riddler on Tue, 10 Oct  2017, 00:49
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Mon,  9 Oct  2017, 21:12
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Mon,  9 Oct  2017, 10:58Years ago, I would've been excited by the idea of hearing Danny Elfman recite the Burton Batman theme again, or hearing Williams Superman theme again. But nowadays I'm more keen to listen to new music for a new era. I suppose there's nothing wrong with a little homage here and there, but then again, the negative is it reinforces some movies can't be made without the "iconic" score.
It also limits tonal possibilities.

The Williams hero theme for Superman works great in those Reeve movies but it plays like crap set against Fleischer, the George Reeves show, Lois & Clark, Superman- The Animated Series, etc.

Elfman's Batman theme works great with Burton but it just doesn't work with Schumacher, Nolan or, so far, Snyder.

In order to shoehorn those themes into new movies, there are certain directions the tone of the story simply can't go. In the end, it will work to harm the characters rather than benefit.

Mark my words and read them back to me later: Recycling the same music again and again will be the beginning of the end of comic book cinema as we've known it.

The Elfman theme has proven to me the most popular for the character, it's also used in video games and the animated series. Both Schumacher trailers featured it and there's been some good youtube cuts featuring Elfman's theme with the Nolan films. It'll be unique enough I'm sure as this is a new incarnation of the character.

Elfman's theme may work in some scenes in various media, but as I said before, I'm ready to let it be bygones. It should be noted that although Elfman's theme was used a little bit in BTAS, Shirley Walker was able to create a new distinctive theme out of it.

Something that's annoying me about film nowadays is it appears to rely too much on nostalgia as a gimmick. Specifically, calling back on music to evoke a certain era. Sometimes it can work if it's done to evoke some sort of theme. For example, GOTG1 did very well as it ties to Star-Lord's childhood when he's given the Walkman by his dying mother (if I recall) before being abducted. The soundtrack sets the mood, both with the tone of the film and the music Star-Lord has grown up listening to and how it shaped his personality. So nostalgia works there.

In contrast, Superman Returns just uses the John Williams score to ape Superman 78, scene-by-scene, but doesn't do anything new. It becomes a hindrance becomes all it makes SR do is ask people to remember the time when Christopher Reeve's Superman said this or did that, instead of becoming its own entity. And yes, I'm well aware of the common complaints about SR, but I wanted to add that analysis of mine to argue why nostalgia shouldn't be relied on for the sake of it. That's why I share TDK's opinion that there needs to be musical continuity to what Hans Zimmer and Junkie XL had established in MOS, BvS and WW.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I get what you're saying LF and not just from a musical standpoint. Whether we're talking a sequel, reboot, remake, or cross over, every movie should be made to stand out on it's own rather than serve as a 'remember when'. Definitely Superman Returns tries too hard to be nostalgic towards the Donner films and as a result, fails to stand out as it's own entity. Most people go to the movies hoping to see something they hadn't seen before rather than see the same things they'd see before.

I think that with Joss Whedon seemingly being so respectful towards Snyders work and not blowing it up and starting from scratch that Elfman will show a similar courtesy to Zimmer.

Quote from: riddler on Tue, 10 Oct  2017, 14:04
I think that with Joss Whedon seemingly being so respectful towards Snyders work and not blowing it up and starting from scratch that Elfman will show a similar courtesy to Zimmer.
If MOE scraps the Zimmer themes and holds out hope the themes he established for Flash and Aquaman remain in the future...he's a hypocrite. If MOE keeps the Zimmer Superman and WW themes, but scraps the BvS Batman theme...that's a confused mess. MOE needs to respect the integrity of the DCEU's sound that has already been established. Recycling themes from 20 plus years ago only serves to highlight he's yesterday's man. He cites Star Wars as a reason to keep old themes....but MOE ignores the fact Star Wars has never had a reboot. We don't want a mix and match MCU music situation.

Mon, 30 Oct 2017, 21:54 #13 Last Edit: Mon, 30 Oct 2017, 22:51 by THE BAT-MAN
Two of Danny Elfman's score cues for Justice League have been released.  I am super excited to hear more of what Danny has planned.  Also, there might be spoilers to a trained ear for the cue "Friends and Foes."  So if you don't want to be spoiled you have been warned. 

"Hero's Theme"

"Friends and Foes"

I've seen some pretty brutal reactions to these two samples. To be completely honest, when I first listened to them I was a little underwhelmed. Zimmer/Junkie XL Content like 'Beautiful Lie', 'Their War Here' and 'New Rules' hit me for six with their power and emotion. But I didn't rush to judgement. Right now, I don't have a big problem with the musical direction of JL....which by all accounts was meant to be a lighter experience.

The John Williams Superman theme cameos are there...but they're not as obvious as I thought they'd be. We have a bit of choir, ala Batman Returns, and I could sense some Spider-Man influences as well. So this is most definitely a Danny Elfman score. My only hope is that we get to hear the Zimmer Superman theme at least once. I think that's really important to have that consistency across the DCEU.

I don't know if it's me, the first sample (Hero's Theme) reminded me of Jerry Goldsmith's The Shadow.

I loved the BvS score. Much of it almost felt like music intended as a standalone listening experience (tracks like "Beautiful Lie", "Red Capes", "She With You", "Men are Still Good", they were just great). Other than the famous cameo, track 16 from the samples above sounds like the generic action/adventure music you don't even notice while watching the film, and forget about when it's over. Yet, it's only two tracks and I hope the true highlights aren't released yet.

I like everything I've heard, so far. I have no complaints. And while movie scores can stand on their own, it's more important to see how they're incorporated within the movie itself. So I'm excited to hear more, and see how it works within the movie itself.

Quote from: Travesty on Tue, 31 Oct  2017, 15:06
And while movie scores can stand on their own, it's more important to see how they're incorporated within the movie itself.
That's true and fair. I've listened to certain tracks before seeing other films and didn't think much of them. But in the film they come alive. All in all, I'm eager to see JL. Maybe not as much as BvS...but the hype is pretty close. I feel like it's going to be solid.

Tue, 31 Oct 2017, 16:14 #18 Last Edit: Tue, 31 Oct 2017, 16:17 by GoNerdYourself
Quote from: Azrael on Tue, 31 Oct  2017, 12:47
I don't know if it's me, the first sample (Hero's Theme) reminded me of Jerry Goldsmith's The Shadow.

I hear that, as well.

I like what I hear. It's not Elfman's best work, but it has his signature, particularly in "Friends and Foes." I am hoping this isn't the apex of the score's material nor a decent sampling of all the score has to offer. If so, I will definitely find myself underwhelmed. However, I have hope that this is just the tip of the iceberg. When it comes to scores, there are two things I desire: that the composer is allowed to create a score that comes to life and secondly, that the filmmakers give the score room to breathe. For example, I really love that moment in BvS when Lois is riding the helicopter and Lex's theme is taking hold. At last, it took hold of me.

About the "nostalgic" themes, I believe the classic themes will only be minor cameos or hints really, not full-on reprisals. That may very well be all we hear of John Williams' theme. The gist I got from the interview was that it was only for a moment. I could be wrong. I'm not sure about Batman's theme yet. I am very curious to hear what he does with the character this time around. Also, for Age of Ultron, Elfman did use Alan Silvestri's material, so I am hoping he does something with the previous DCEU themes. However, I'm okay if he created his own material instead, as long as its good. Change is good, if it's good. Hopefully, not a Basil Poledouris to Leonard Rosenman situation....

Tue, 31 Oct 2017, 22:14 #19 Last Edit: Tue, 31 Oct 2017, 22:46 by THE BAT-MAN
I've read many comments concerning the music for Justice League and I just wanted to add my feelings to the mix.  Firstly, I'm a huge film score fan and collector, as well as a musician and composer.  I have never been a fan of Hans Zimmer and his many copycats, I find his music to be overrated and his style to be very bland and generic.  In truth, I'm very happy that Danny was able to return to the DC family.  To me he is the rightful King of Superhero scoring.  I do not wish to cause any offense to those that love and appreciate the music that Hans Zimmer has done for the Superhero genre whether it be Chris Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy, Man Of Steel, or his involvement with BVS.  In my own opinion his music was never that good to begin with and it's sad that the music talents of James Newton Howard who worked with Zimmer in The Dark Knight Trilogy was completely overlooked.  James is 10 times a better film score composer than Hans.  Danny on the other hand is a Film Score Legend.  He's right up there with John Williams and I'll even go as far as saying he's up there with Bernard Herrmann too.  I personally do not want to hear anything reminiscent of Zimmer and Junkie XL or their styles.  I know that Elfman is going to keep the Wonder Woman theme but honestly I wish he would have created a new one for her too.  when it comes to films in general all I want is for the music to be great and I'm sure Danny is already delivering that.