Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

Started by Edd Grayson, Wed, 21 May 2014, 18:08

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 26 Mar  2016, 22:50
Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sat, 26 Mar  2016, 11:41but this movie cost about $450 million.
Can you even math, bro?

Anyway, I dug the movie. That is more or less Batman as I've always seen him. This silly idea that he shouldn't kill people is just inane. I guess it made sense when the Comics Code was there keeping everybody dishonest but now that it's gone, it's simply illogical to continue using that stupid rule. It's good that Snyder recognized that and scrapped that rule entirely.

There's a lot of stuff to sort through with this movie, and God knows there will be time. But I really enjoyed it. It gave Batman and Superman plausible reasons to be at odds with each other and, ultimately, to beat the crap out of one another.

Very enjoyable and I'm looking forward to future DCEU films.
Very pleased to hear you enjoyed it colors. I thought you would. I agree completely about the whole song and dance outrage about Batman killing. This is basically the Batman of B89, when he discovers the Joker killed his parents. But with increased athleticism and martial arts skills to back it up. This is the most dangerous Batman ever. Embrace that. The scene with the flamethrower dude was actually one of my favourite scenes in the movie. It exemplified who Batman is. He protects the innocent, makes difficult choices and is a dark guy.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sat, 26 Mar  2016, 23:16I even know that 'math' isn't a verb, 'bro'.  ;)
Since it apparently needs to be explained...

And of course...

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 27 Mar  2016, 06:58Very pleased to hear you enjoyed it colors. I thought you would. I agree completely about the whole song and dance outrage about Batman killing. This is basically the Batman of B89, when he discovers the Joker killed his parents. But with increased athleticism and martial arts skills to back it up. This is the most dangerous Batman ever. Embrace that. The scene with the flamethrower dude was actually one of my favourite scenes in the movie. It exemplified who Batman is. He protects the innocent, makes difficult choices and is a dark guy.
I haven't followed every single comment about BvS that people have posted around here but it looks like most of us don't have too much of a problem with Affleck's Batman.

As you say, it could be his similarities to Burton's Batman. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that if Burton was directing Batman movies today, his Batman would do all or most of the same stuff Affleck did in BvS.

I have seen a fair amount of outrage (for lack of a better word) over how quickly Batman turned when Superman mentioned Martha. It was kind of a light switch change, according to the critics. But I walked into this movie expecting two things.

01- Batman and Superman would seek each other out for a fight.
02- Batman and Superman would become friends and team up against a common enemy.

If the whole "first we fight and then we team up" bit sounds like a 90's comic to anybody else, it's because that's probably about the era that Snyder was hardcore collecting comics (assuming he was a collector, that is). It's a trope because it's effective and dramatic.

Batman and Superman have to beat each other up. Then they have to stop beating each other up and realize they're on the same side. There are only so many ways to skin that cat. Snyder maybe could've handled the transition better but, hey, nothing is perfect in life.

Affleck's electronic Batman voice is something I've wanted for probably 10 years now. It adds an inhuman quality to his voice, it sounds a little creepy and it effectively disguises Bruce Wayne's voice. There's nothing wrong with the Kevin Conroy approach but everything else about Batman is all misdirection, theatricality and deception; why should his voice be any different? It's a completely valid artistic decision to make and one that's long over due.

In fact, at this point probably the only thing that's missing is making Batman's eyes all white comic book-style... and even there, Snyder did give us the white lenses during the big battle with Superman.

All around, everything about this looks very comic booky to me. It's a breath of fresh air after the Marvel Studios conveyor belt of Twinkies that are good junk food but don't really satisfy as a FILM.

Great points about the voice.

And in terms of the fight itself, I liked it. It showed that a fully powered Superman would kick Batman's ass. And he did. A slight touch sent him flying backwards. Supes flew Batman through a building, and down against the bat signal. But when kryptonite comes into play, Batman's the winner. He has the martial arts skills, and strikes while the iron is hot. He's merciless. And again, as shown in the film, when Supes regains his powers, Batman just has to cop it on the chin. He's thrown through a wall, and if it wasn't for that second kryptonite grenade fired frantically while Supes was charging, Bats was a goner. But the grenade hit, and the rest is history.

I just felt this was a fantastic film. Very mature, commenting on society but also deeply rooted in the comics.

Just saw it today, finally.

First of all, this film is nowhere near the pile of sh*t that critics and some people out there are making it out to be. Not even close.

But I have to be honest, my first impressions of it are only okay. Not great. Just okay.

My biggest complaint is the pacing. I thought the first hour or so really dragged and drew closer to Nolan's films when it came to exposition. MOS got a lot of criticism for having "too much action", but I think the pacing in that movie overall was better there than it is here. But the final twenty minutes in BvS is a sight to behold, and the emotional ending was very effective. There were a couple of moments in the plot that made ask questions, but I'll leave that to the spoilers thread, which I'll post soon.

I'd like to say, this film is NOT that graphic. Unless I saw a heavily edited version in my theatre, I didn't see anything as intense compared to Batman Returns, which is still the most disturbing film in the franchise to date when it comes to violence, in my opinion. And I don't agree that it's sadistic either. Maybe the bathtub scene with Lois was provocative (not that I'm complaining ;)), but there was nothing in BvS that made me get shocked at some of the graphic moments the MCU films managed to squeeze in, e.g. Ultron ripping Ulyses Klaw's arm off in Age of Ultron, a Hydra soldier getting ripped apart into a cloud of blood when he fell into an aeroplane's tailspin in The First Avenger, or Loki annihilating a group of SHIELD guards by throwing daggers at their throats in the first Avengers.

Ben Affleck was indeed very good in this, and the best part of the movie by far. Definitely the best live-action Batman since Michael Keaton.

Jesse Eisenberg was fine. He's not the ideal Lex Luthor I wanted, but he's not terrible. The whole criticisms about how "silly" he is (and yes, I'll admit that I was guilty of judging him too in the trailers), isn't really justified. He's more psychotic than previous portrayals, and I took it as he naturally has a strong loathing for people.

In short: maybe I'll appreciate the film even more after repeat viewings, but I thought it was alright at best. Not crap, but not great either.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: Catwoman on Wed, 21 May  2014, 18:46
i like it a lot. yes worlds finest would have been better but this is good too. and obviously it isn't the justice league because this is the DAWN of justice. they'll be around in the afternoon. lol.

Clicked the first page by accident and found this cute, if I do say so myself, nugget from Kitty :)

;D

So far, the film has grossed the biggest box office opening in March ever, and has earned $424 million worldwide.

Source: http://money.cnn.com/2016/03/27/media/batman-v-superman-box-office-opening-weekend/

How long will this last?
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Mon, 28 Mar  2016, 04:54
So far, the film has grossed the biggest box office opening in March ever, and has earned $424 million worldwide.

Source: http://money.cnn.com/2016/03/27/media/batman-v-superman-box-office-opening-weekend/

How long will this last?
Good start. Hopefully it continues.

This is pretty cool - you can see inside the Batcave on Google Maps.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/You-Can-Now-Explore-Batcave-Through-Google-Maps-120877.html/

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Mon, 28 Mar  2016, 04:54So far, the film has grossed the biggest box office opening in March ever, and has earned $424 million worldwide.

How long will this last?
Nobody is qualified to say... but BvS does have a pretty clear field for the next long while. It's pretty much unopposed and will remain so. It has plenty of time to stretch its legs, if it will have legs.

Whatever success or failure BvS experiences from here on in, it owns it. There can't be any excuses. If BvS succeeds, it's because people love it. It will be undeniable. If it fails, it's basically unopposed so nobody can blame competition from other films. This will also be undeniable.

Anecdotally I've seen very few negative fan reviews on Facebook. That means little or nothing. But it could be a very positive sign that civilians, the great unwashed, similarly love BvS. We shall see, I suppose.

I loved it, both my friends I went with loved it. This film more than any other I can recall may shed light on the obvious critic agendas; audiences mostly love it, critics mostly hate it. Aren't critics jobs to tell audiences whether they would enjoy a film?