Superman '78 (2021)

Started by Gotham Knight, Fri, 26 Mar 2021, 20:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Huh. They seem to be using the Daily Planet globe from Superman Returns. Maybe the whole building. But definitely the globe.

Interesting. I don't usually encourage ANY reference to Superman Returns. But if I'm being honest, the Daily Planet set, building and globe are one of the few creative issues in that movie that I do rather enjoy.

Initially I suspected the Supeman/Superman II era was the focus to avoid commenting on Superman Returns, which ignores III and IV. But Superman IV content isn't being shied away from in this series, as evidenced with Nuclear Man. Unless I'm mistaken, it seems the events of Routh's film didn't happen here, which I support. This globe may be a homage and nothing more. Which begs the question "what is pure Reeveverse canon? and "what is Routh's place in it?" Especially after his recent appearance on the Supergirl crossover event.

Big spoilers ahead.

"SUPERMAN '78 #4
Written by ROBERT VENDITTI
Art by WILFREDO TORRES
Cover by BRAD WALKER
Variant cover by CHRIS SAMNEE

Superman tries to assimilate into his new life in the bottled city of Kandor, but his heart lies elsewhere. Can Superman put his old life behind and find joy in what would've been his home, or can Lois Lane and Lex Luthor make contact with the Man of Steel and give him hope to return to his adoptive world?"

I can hear Hackman now. "Lois and Lex? Lex and Lois? How about Luthor and Lane? The problem of the century naturally requires the partnership of the century. Granted, you're only here to document the triumph, but we all have our lot. Are you writing your Pulitzer speech yet, Ms. Lane?"

While I'm sure that there will be twists and turns as the story goes on I must say that I was little let down reading how religiously this title follows the 2008 Geoff Johns "Brainiac" story line. You will have also seen this story adapted as 2013's Superman: Unbound animated feature.

The artwork was great and the story and characters were written authentically, but I expected a little more in this first outing. Batman '89's approach is, so far, more interesting because even the reincorporation of Hamm's unused ideas is giving us something that was fresh and new as a take. Add in Harvey Dent and B. Gordon and you have more anticipation because even the unused Hamm ideas have to find new details and purpose, so even if you're familiar with those ideas you're still off balance trying to figure out what comes next.

Anyway, the inclusion of Luthor should bear fruit, but it seems they'll be sticking to the script pretty close.

I enjoyed the first issue, and while elements feel like a retread I think they captured the tone of the Reeve universe. One of the frustrating things is how short the issues feel, especially when most of the content gets teased online, as with Batman '89.

I enjoyed the first issue. It's difficult to compare with the Batman '89 comic at this stage, since both series have only just begun. But based on the first issues, I'd say the Superman '78 comic is doing a better job of capturing the look and feel of the movies that inspired it, while the Batman '89 comic is doing a better job of advancing the plot into new areas and putting a fresh spin on familiar characters. But I'm enjoying both series so far and I'm looking forward to reading the second issues.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat, 29 May  2021, 20:24I'm curious to see if any of the other villains will be modelled on real actors. For example, I always thought Christopher Walken would have been a good pick for the Donnerverse Brainiac had he appeared in Superman III. Walken had already appeared in Annie Hal and The Deer Hunter by 1983, which would have been the same year that he made The Dead Zone.

Coming back to this, I saw someone on another site suggesting Leonard Nimoy for the Donnerverse Brainiac. He would've been an even better pick than Walken.

The original Donnerverse era (1978-1987) coincided with a resurgence in Nimoy's career, during which time he acted in and/or directed several successful films: Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978), Star Trek I-IV (1979-1986), Transformers: The Movie (1986) and 3 Men and a Baby (1987) being the most notable. Had Brainiac appeared in Superman III, Nimoy would have been the perfect actor to play the part.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Wed, 25 Aug  2021, 12:31Coming back to this, I saw someone on another site suggesting Leonard Nimoy for the Donnerverse Brainiac. He would've been an even better pick than Walken.

The original Donnerverse era (1978-1987) coincided with a resurgence in Nimoy's career, during which time he acted in and/or directed several successful films: Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978), Star Trek I-IV (1979-1986), Transformers: The Movie (1986) and 3 Men and a Baby (1987) being the most notable. Had Brainiac appeared in Superman III, Nimoy would have been the perfect actor to play the part.
This is a very interesting thought. And it's fairly plausible that he would've accepted the role had it been offered. Actors thrive on variety and how many villains had Nimoy played? Plus, the Superman series had some prestige to them from the standpoint that Terrence Stamp, Marlon Brando and Gene Hackman had played roles of considerable importance in those movies as villains. I think the Brando fanboy in Nimoy might've been sold just on the (tangential by that point) Brando connection. At the very least, I think he would've entertained the idea of playing Brainiac.

Of all the fan-casting ideas I've ever seen, this is probably the most believable.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Wed, 25 Aug  2021, 12:31

Nimoy would have been a good choice. Absolutely. In addition, Nimoy would have provided a box office draw from sci fi and/or Trek side of fans who might not have interest in Superman, but would have been curious to see Nimoy as a antagonist. Certainly so in that stage of his career.

Being that I am not a Trekkie/Trekker, '80's Nimoy is always Galvatron, and his appearance in the Bangles "Going down to Liverpool" music video for me.  ;D

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Wed, 25 Aug  2021, 12:31
I enjoyed the first issue. It's difficult to compare with the Batman '89 comic at this stage, since both series have only just begun. But based on the first issues, I'd say the Superman '78 comic is doing a better job of capturing the look and feel of the movies that inspired it, while the Batman '89 comic is doing a better job of advancing the plot into new areas and putting a fresh spin on familiar characters. But I'm enjoying both series so far and I'm looking forward to reading the second issues.
An accurate summation, and for that reason I see both of these comics being successful if they continue this trend. I think both feel like they could exist as respective continuations, but think it's harder to replicate the world and atmosphere of Burton in comic form. Superman 78's artwork is spot on, and even though I'm usually not keen about film panels being recreated verbatim, I'll give it a pass here. It lent a degree of authenticity and nostalgic emotion, the latter of which the Reeveverse leans on. Of the two I ultimately prefer the approach of '89, but '78 seems like it'll be an entertaining and leisurely read.