Rumour: HBO Max wants BTAS revival

Started by The Laughing Fish, Wed, 20 Jan 2021, 22:24

Previous topic - Next topic
According to Kevin Smith:

https://dailyplanetdc.com/2021/01/20/is-a-batman-the-animated-series-sequel-or-revival-on-the-horizon/

If a new series gets greenlit and it will retain the animation style of the original BTAS show, maybe it could adapt some of those Batman Adventures comics. Similar to how Mad Love was a comic story and then it was adapted into an episode of TNBA.

A revival could be a perfect opportunity to explore how Penguin's hands changed between BTAS and TNBA.  :D
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

This would be amazing if it turns out true.

Quote from: Travesty on Thu, 21 Jan  2021, 04:13
This would be amazing if it turns out true.
They've been doing the Adventures Continue comic line recently which gives me reason to suspect this could happen. Part of me would prefer them to create something new, as was the case with The Brave and the Bold or even Beware The Batman. But from a business point of view, a BTAS revival would generate interest in HBO Max.

I'm unsure if the heights of the 90s could be reached, especially when we consider the likes of Batman and Harley Quinn. But if it happens, it happens. We can only sit back and assess the product. We're going to be well fed with Batman content in the near future, and this would be another bowl of dessert. 

My concern about a revival of BTAS comes down to context.

Batman exists in a different context now than he did in 1992. Harley does as well, even moreso. So does a BTAS revival stand its original ground with respect to tone and characterization? If so, it places itself out of step with the modern mythos. Does it reflect the modern depictions of the characters? If so, it distances itself from everything that made it great to begin with.

For Harley specifically, BTAS showed her as the Joker's plucky and psychotic moll. Subsequently, she was essentially a battered wife. Today, because girl parts, she has to be a domestic abuse survivor. She's been through a lot of changes over the years, for better or for worse far exceeding her original role on BTAS.

In terms of small potatoes, what about the yellow oval? Why is it that every gd thing Batman appears in these days eliminates the yellow oval? And will a BTAS revival bring it back? They should since arguably they started the trend of removing it in the first place.

Usually, creative types try to split the difference on these things and satisfy all audiences. But I rly don't think that'll work here. The changes are simply too drastic. There's rly no way to meet in the middle.

I love the idea of a BTAS revival. But the fact is there's a lot to lose and not much to gain (potentially) from blowing the dust off the show now. It might be too big a risk to take.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 21 Jan  2021, 05:22
Batman exists in a different context now than he did in 1992.
It's like how they did the two B66 animated movies. You're looking back and trying to imitate something, but you're approaching things from a modern perspective. I don't think that can be helped. You're not in the flow of the original era, which once was the modern day.

So what ends up happening? Things that wouldn't have appeared on the show start appearing, and it may not feel organic. If things happened back in the day, we'd accept it unquestioningly. We would've grown up with it, and have had years of familiarity. Doing something new years after the fact feels different. A sense of consistency is vital.

I'd give a revival a chance, though. I'd like to see the transition from Robin to Nightwing play out on screen.

Subsequently, she was essentially a battered wife. Today, because girl parts, she has to be a domestic abuse survivor.
To be fair though, didn't that all originate from Mad Love?

I love the idea of a BTAS revival. But the fact is there's a lot to lose and not much to gain (potentially) from blowing the dust off the show now. It might be too big a risk to take.
I get that. However, for me some of the episodes from season 4 already took some of the sheen off for me. It's still my all time favorite cartoon but it isn't perfect. If they bring it back for at least a single season I'm confident there'll be a couple of great episodes to make it all worth it.

Quote from: BatmanFurst on Thu, 21 Jan  2021, 16:57
Subsequently, she was essentially a battered wife. Today, because girl parts, she has to be a domestic abuse survivor.
To be fair though, didn't that all originate from Mad Love?

I get that. However, for me some of the episodes from season 4 already took some of the sheen off. It's still my all time favorite cartoon but it isn't perfect. If they bring it back for at least a single season I'm confident there'll be a couple of great episodes to make it all worth it.

Quote from: BatmanFurst on Thu, 21 Jan  2021, 16:57To be fair though, didn't that all originate from Mad Love?
That was simply one element of her character. The whole point of Mad Love was to show how a gullible, talented, career-minded psychiatrist got essentially brainwashed into a life of crime. She was originally presented as a fun, silly moll and Mad Love deepened her character.

Now, Harley Quinn is an emancipated domestic violence survivor. That's it. Nothing else. BTAS showed her in many lights but no modern depiction of Harley is allowed to not mention the abuse she suffered. I think Mad Love showed her getting slapped one time but subsequent comics and media have taken far worse liberties. In seeking to complicate the character, they've essentially removed everything that made her quirky and fun. Now, it feels weird to me when anybody refers to themselves as a Harley Quinn fan because wtf, you know?

Quote from: BatmanFurst on Thu, 21 Jan  2021, 16:57I get that. However, for me some of the episodes from season 4 already took some of the sheen off for me. It's still my all time favorite cartoon but it isn't perfect. If they bring it back for at least a single season I'm confident there'll be a couple of great episodes to make it all worth it.
I rather enjoy some season 04 episodes. When I was younger, I loved the new designs. But the older I get, the more the original BTAS designs seem better. In some cases, season 04 just plain looks cheap.

Ivy is my pick when it comes to female Batman villains. Harley was manipulated, whereas Ivy is a manipulator.

One thing that would have to take priority with a BTAS continuation would be the music. Shirley Walker is sadly no longer with us. The music was a huge strength on the original B66 show, and the animated movies didn't capture the same spirit. It's these details that would need to be replicated in order for things to feel authentic and seamless from where we left off.

Put it this way, if any potential revival is going to do stupid gags like this then count me out.

The BTAS, TNBA, JL and JLU had humour, but it was certainly classier than that.

I could see the follow-up go for more gruesome violence as we saw in Justice League vs The Fatal Five. It had the same DCAU animation but with more edge, as in the Jessica Cruz's backstory of witnessing her friends getting shot to death at point-blank range. It doesn't necessarily make the film better, but it shows there might be some liberties a revival could take without TV censorship back in the day. Maybe they could do episodes about Batman's first encounters with Solomon Grundy and Deadshot - two villains who only appeared in the JL animated series - and write about them in all their violent glory.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 21 Jan  2021, 20:11
I rather enjoy some season 04 episodes. When I was younger, I loved the new designs. But the older I get, the more the original BTAS designs seem better. In some cases, season 04 just plain looks cheap.

I never liked the redesigns for the villains. Obviously, the one I hated the most was Joker. If they were going to redesign him, they should've used the BB:ROTJ and JL designs from the very beginning. Sure, his chin is different, but at least he still has his lips and eyes.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei