Rumour: HBO Max wants BTAS revival

Started by The Laughing Fish, Wed, 20 Jan 2021, 22:24

Previous topic - Next topic

I don't know about this.

If it has to happen, then hopefully Paul Dini gets some major say on the writing department. Not that "The Adventures Continues" was particularly great or anything, as I was left feeling the series was just, overall, mediocre to maybe OK at best. But comparatively speaking, Dini's return to the DCAU Batman universe was decidedly better than the egregiously horrible, "Batman and Harley Quinn" we got under Bruce Timm a few years ago.

Maybe Dini can persuade Arleen to return in voicing Harley. Anyone but Melissa Raunch.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Speaking of HBO Max, I notice that the episodes appear to be arranged in what I remember the broadcast order to be. Mostly. The Cat & The Claw Part 01 and Part 02 debuted on Saturday mornings so they were technically one week apart from each other. But, for the sake of convenience I suppose, they're the first two shows listed on HBO Max.

Aside from that, yeah. This is exactly how I remember the broadcast order going.

The Cat & The Claw Part 01 (Saturday morning), On Leather Wings (Sunday primetime), Heart Of Ice (Monday), Feat Of Clay Part 01 (Tuesday), Feat Of Clay Part 02 (Wednesday), It's Never Too Late (Thursday), Joker's Favor (Friday), The Cat & The Claw Part 02 (Saturday morning), Pretty Poison (Monday), etc etc.

I find this significant because every other release of BTAS that I've ever seen arranges the episodes in production order. And to hear fans/podcasters/YouTubers/whoever talk about the show, their comments always sounded to me like they watched the show in production order. The gd Wiki page won't allow readers to sort the episode by air date but that seems to back up my memory of the air dates as well.

And that makes it all the more mystifying when people say (or imply) that Christmas With The Joker was the first episode of the show they ever saw. One or two, yeah, I could understand. But everybody? Am I taking crazy pills here or did these people not even watch the show until the DVD's came along? Makes you wonder.

Anyway, it might be that I'm turning this into a bigger deal than it has to be. But I get a strange sense of comfort out of this.

Hearing the news of the new Batman: Caped Crusader series makes me afraid that the BTAS revival has been replaced or shoved to the side. I guess it's still possible that the two shows could coexist (and potentially compete with each other). Our gift and curse is that Batman takes all precedent over any of the other DC superheroes when it comes to new Warner properties.

The Batman Adventures would be the best place to start. Whether the original staff has lost their touch is somewhat irrelevant because these stories were on par with the original episodes; most of the work has already been done. And that's a lot of source material.

We've still got a bunch of loose ends that could still benefit from being fleshed out. We're missing intro stories for KGBeast, Eletrocutioner, and Deadshot, among others. Apparently there was also a Scarecrow story on the backburner as well. Which leads me to believe there's a lot of unused TNBA material out there since the series was cancelled in such an untimely fashion.

Basically, despite striking out in recent years, I'm not yet ready to give up on the DCAU.

Quote from: Slash Man on Mon,  7 Jun  2021, 19:46
Hearing the news of the new Batman: Caped Crusader series makes me afraid that the BTAS revival has been replaced or shoved to the side. I guess it's still possible that the two shows could coexist (and potentially compete with each other). Our gift and curse is that Batman takes all precedent over any of the other DC superheroes when it comes to new Warner properties.

The Batman Adventures would be the best place to start. Whether the original staff has lost their touch is somewhat irrelevant because these stories were on par with the original episodes; most of the work has already been done. And that's a lot of source material.

We've still got a bunch of loose ends that could still benefit from being fleshed out. We're missing intro stories for KGBeast, Eletrocutioner, and Deadshot, among others. Apparently there was also a Scarecrow story on the backburner as well. Which leads me to believe there's a lot of unused TNBA material out there since the series was cancelled in such an untimely fashion.

Basically, despite striking out in recent years, I'm not yet ready to give up on the DCAU.
It's not animation, but an audio drama with original cast members has just been announced by Conroy. Danny Elfman is on board, too. If anything suits an audio drama it's BTAS. It's very sound driven and close to being definitive. I'm at the front seat of this train.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/batman-the-animated-series-audio-drama-podcast-1235057158/

A whole new reason to miss Shirley Walker.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun,  5 Dec  2021, 02:38

Same here. I've had a belief that Elfman has been phoning it in for the last few decades. To be honest, I even found his Spider-Man score rather boring compared to his earlier stuff.

I read John Glover is coming back as the Riddler, and he has described his character's return as having evolved. I'm curious to know what sort of ideas they have in mind, it was only yesterday that some of us were talking about the showrunners wanted to use the Riddler as less as possible because they found him such a hard character to write.

https://www.primetimer.com/item/Batman-The-Animated-Series-original-cast-is-reuniting-for-an-audio-drama-revival-49S3Pd

BTAS can be interpreted as a period piece of sorts, so this audio drama does feel right at home. Yeah, I would've preferred it to remain animated, but this sort of revival is fine. My only concern is Conroy's voice. As we've discussed a few times before, he has aged and he doesn't sound as crisp and intimidating as he did back when the show was on TV.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun,  5 Dec  2021, 02:59
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun,  5 Dec  2021, 02:38

Same here. I've had a belief that Elfman has been phoning it in for the last few decades. To be honest, I even found his Spider-Man score rather boring compared to his earlier stuff.

I read John Glover is coming back as the Riddler, and he has described his character's return as having evolved. I'm curious to know what sort of ideas they have in mind, it was only yesterday that some of us were talking about the showrunners wanted to use the Riddler as less as possible because they found him such a hard character to write.

https://www.primetimer.com/item/Batman-The-Animated-Series-original-cast-is-reuniting-for-an-audio-drama-revival-49S3Pd

BTAS can be interpreted as a period piece of sorts, so this audio drama does feel right at home. Yeah, I would've preferred it to remain animated, but this sort of revival is fine. My only concern is Conroy's voice. As we've discussed a few times before, he has aged and he doesn't sound as crisp and intimidating as he did back when the show was on TV.

The fun will be seeing people animate it :D

It has just occurred to me that this project must be canned now that Kevin Conroy has sadly died. Such a shame. Depending how far they got in the scripts, maybe they could convert them into comics instead, as a farewell tribute to Kevin.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei