Injustice: Gods Among Us (tie-in comic)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sat, 9 Feb 2013, 19:13

Previous topic - Next topic
I don't usually attach much importance to the narratives in fighting games – least of all ones based on pre-existing characters – but this tie-in comic is turning out to be very memorable. I don't want to say too much in case I spoil the plot for anyone, but if you're thinking of getting the game I'd recommend reading the comics too. There's a shocking plot twist in the third issue. And the final panel in issue 4...  ??? Well, it's something to be seen.

It's too early to judge the overall quality yet. But like I say, it's definitely memorable. It's being distributed in a digital-first format, but DC is also producing print editions, each of which collects three digital issues.

If anyone else is following this series then we'll make this a spoiler thread and discuss what's happening in it.

Haven't read any yet...but I think I know what you mean by memorable.

I'll definitely be checking them out though...and will return to discuss :-)

I'll look forward to that. It's one of those comics that's guaranteed to provoke strong reactions. And if nothing else, it serves its purpose of getting you interested in the game.

Tue, 26 Feb 2013, 02:08 #3 Last Edit: Tue, 26 Feb 2013, 02:10 by SilentEnigma
Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat,  9 Feb  2013, 19:13
I don't usually attach much importance to the narratives in fighting games – least of all ones based on pre-existing characters – but this tie-in comic is turning out to be very memorable.

Well, Netherealm's Mortal Kombat had a "Story Mode". The cutscenes rival those of Metal Gear 4 in terms of length. It's very enjoyable in a B-movie sort of way, especially to those that grew up with the early MK games from the 90s. Injustice comes with a similar story mode, and judging by MK, it will be good and entertaining, maybe a bit like a CG/Animated movie starring JL.

I'll admit I do like the storylines in the Mortal Kombat games. That franchise has always had a rich mythology. I used to collect the comics for a little while in the late 90s. In fact the 1995 Mortal Kombat movie was one of the major factors that prompted me to start training in Ju-Jitsu when I was a teenager. It's a pity the recent web series didn't amount to more.

QuoteThe cutscenes rival those of Metal Gear 4 in terms of length.

Ugh. Metal Gear Solid 4. That game was really frustrating. You'd have to sit through about two hours of cut scenes, then you'd get to walk down a corridor for five seconds, then another two hour cut scene would get triggered. I just wanted to play the game, not watch a movie.

Have you checked out the Injustice comic yet, Enigma? I'm still not decided on whether or not I'll get the game, but the comic is doing a good job of piquing my interest. I thought with your interest in Batman games it might appeal to you.

On issue 5. Simple enough plot so far, though good.

Wed, 27 Feb 2013, 21:02 #6 Last Edit: Wed, 27 Feb 2013, 21:28 by SilentEnigma
Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue, 26 Feb  2013, 23:33
I'll admit I do like the storylines in the Mortal Kombat games. That franchise has always had a rich mythology. I used to collect the comics for a little while in the late 90s. In fact the 1995 Mortal Kombat movie was one of the major factors that prompted me to start training in Ju-Jitsu when I was a teenager. It's a pity the recent web series didn't amount to more.

QuoteThe cutscenes rival those of Metal Gear 4 in terms of length.

Ugh. Metal Gear Solid 4. That game was really frustrating. You'd have to sit through about two hours of cut scenes, then you'd get to walk down a corridor for five seconds, then another two hour cut scene would get triggered. I just wanted to play the game, not watch a movie.

Have you checked out the Injustice comic yet, Enigma? I'm still not decided on whether or not I'll get the game, but the comic is doing a good job of piquing my interest. I thought with your interest in Batman games it might appeal to you.

Agreed about MGS4, but I always loved games that felt like watching a movie!

As for the comic, have to admit I've only seen the previews, but I'll probably buy the collected edition. If you specifically refer to the "spoilers", well, I couldn't resist the temptation and read about some of the things that happen. One shouldn't judge by descriptions and a few panels, but these are pretty big events for what in other hands would be just an excuse plot to serve the gameplay. It looks promising, can't wait to see the full story in the game itself. (I'm not hyped for overpriced limited, special etc. editions with extra skins, statues and movies, just the game itself will do!)

QuoteAgreed about MGS4, but I always loved games that felt like watching a movie!

The cut scenes in MGS: The Twin Snakes were pretty cool. They were directed by Ryuhei Kitamura (Versus (2000), Azumi (2003), Godzilla: Final Wars (2004)) and were ridiculously over the top. I remember one cut scene where Snake leaps about twenty feet into the air, Liquid fires a missile at him from a helicopter, Snake lands on the missile midair and uses it to leap even higher, then shoots at Liquid's helicopter using a rocket launcher before landing safely on the ground. It's hilariously awesome.

QuoteAs for the comic, have to admit I've only seen the previews, but I'll probably buy the collected edition. If you specifically refer to the "spoilers", well, I couldn't resist the temptation and read about some of the things that happen. One shouldn't judge by descriptions and a few panels, but these are pretty big events for what in other hands would be just an excuse plot to serve the gameplay. It looks promising, can't wait to see the full story in the game itself. (I'm not hyped for overpriced limited, special etc. editions with extra skins, statues and movies, just the game itself will do!)

That's probably a smart move. It's a fun read, but I doubt it'll be essential to understanding the game's plot. The only problem with it being a prequel is it means you know none of the characters are going to die since you've already seen them in the trailer for the game. And with that in mind, I guess there's no harm in me posting this panel from issue 4.

I haven't read issue 5 yet, so I don't know how this pans out. But I already know the Joker is a playable character in the game, so clearly he can't be dead.

The storyline in the comic so far reminds me a little of Kingdom Come (1996). There seems to be a similar juncture where Superman reacts to something the Joker does. In Kingdom Come he makes a decision that affects the entire DC universe, while in the Injustice comic he makes a different decision. So I'm intrigued to see what repercussions that will have. Judging from the trailers, the Injustice universe is a much darker place than the mainstream DC universe. The comic is depicting how that darkness came about.

Well, in Arcade mode everyone is playable, and you know how "plot" in Arcade Mode works.

Maybe the first part of the Story Mode follows the events of the comic i.e. this confrontation is a playable Superman/ Joker fight and then Supes does this as a fatality (There's little doubt the Joker will return later in the story- somehow). We'll see.

I read the first 7 issues (up to date now) and I'm quite enjoying it.

As you guys have said, Joker can't be dead since he's in the game...so what is in store??

I do think the plot around Jokers initial plan was a little simplistic. It's actually something I thought would have been a decent plot about 10 years ago when Batman vs Superman was being considered as a movie...and since I'm not much of a writer then that's maybe not a great thing!

As an alternate universe I guess it works fine though.