Marvel's Daredevil (Netflix)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Thu, 31 Jul 2014, 17:11

Previous topic - Next topic
Tue, 8 Mar 2016, 10:17 #40 Last Edit: Tue, 8 Mar 2016, 17:02 by Silver Nemesis
Billboards in Toronto give us our first glimpse of the Punisher with his skull emblem (and a minigun!), as well as a clearer look at Elektra's costume.

I'm predicting a 99.9% probability this will be the best superhero adaptation of 2016, and by a significant margin to boot.

10 days to go!  ;D

EDIT: An even better look at the skull emblem.

Fantastic feature, SN:
http://www.batman-online.com/features/2016/3/17/batman-to-hells-kitchen-and-back-the-daredevil-connection

I'm pretty packed so it'll probably take me awhile to get to Season 2 of the show, but I'm looking forward to it.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Thanks, bud. I'm glad someone else found the subject interesting besides me.

I've begun binge watching season 2 and am presently on episode 6. So far, I think it's amazing. I thought the first two episodes weren't quite as strong as the first two episodes of season one, but it really picks up in episode 3. I don't want to say anything more at this stage, what with spoilers and all, but I'm really loving it so far. And I've listed around 10 pages of comic references based on the first 5 episodes alone.

One thing I will say is that they've really pushed the R-rated content a lot more in this season. Some of the gore ventures into hard R territory, and I think I'm right in saying this is the first MCU production to contain f-bombs. I'll look forward to discussing it in more depth when we've all finished it - which in my case should be sometime tomorrow or Sunday.

Sun, 20 Mar 2016, 21:26 #47 Last Edit: Sun, 20 Aug 2017, 18:57 by Silver Nemesis
Well I finished season 2 earlier today and... just wow. I didn't think they could top season 1, but apparently I was wrong. In my opinion, this is without a shadow of a doubt the best serious superhero adaptation I've ever seen. There are some wonderful lighter superhero productions from the past, such as Batman 66 and Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman. But as far as the darker adaptations go, this one outshines them all. I know most people will disagree with me on this point, and that I'm probably overhyping it, but for me it really is that good. My only criticism is I've now got to wait another year until the next season.  :'(

A few spoiler-free thoughts on season 2.

The cast is uniformly excellent. Charlie Cox continues to prove himself the definitive live action Daredevil and is perfect in the role. Jon Bernthal cannot be praised highly enough - he slays it as the Punisher. Likewise for Elodie Yung as Elektra. It was nice to see some quality guest stars appear too, including a certain Lex Luthor voice actor. Every supporting character is given their own arc, yet Daredevil himself is never overshadowed. He remains at the centre of the series and has an emotional investment in everything that's happening, with his own personal narrative serving as a throughline which connects all the other characters' arcs. It's masterfully structured and covers about three times as much plot as the first season. A common criticism of season 1 was that the pacing slowed around episode 10 and the dramatic impetus waned as a result. Trust me when I say this does not happen in season 2. Quite the opposite in fact. The weakest episodes in this season are probably the first two, and after that it just gets better and better.

The writing, acting, fight choreography, cinematography, music – everything is top notch. The Netflix format is perfect for comic book adaptations and allows for far greater depth of character and density of plot than you'd ever find in a film or network TV show. A good example of this is a scene in one of the early episodes where the Punisher shares a moving and deeply personal story with Daredevil. It's beautifully written and acted. And owing to the freedom afforded by the flexible runtime and lack of commercial breaks, the whole monologue is allowed to play out at its own deliberate pace. It's a scene that tells you so much about this character and his motivations, yet I doubt you'd ever get a scene quite like it in a feature film. I wish every superhero could get this kind of quality treatment.

Another advantage of the Netflix format is the TV-MA rating and the more adult content it permits. I said in my previous post that some of the gore ventures into hard R territory. Having seen the rest of the season, I can confirm this statement was truer than I realised. The first season was violent enough and earned a '15' certificate here in the UK (the same rating as films like Alien, Die Hard and the original Total Recall). But the second season contains even stronger violence and carries an '18' certificate (the same rating as films like Dawn of the Dead, Saw and Dredd). Obviously excessive violence isn't always a good thing, particularly in the case of superhero productions where it often comes across as adolescent. And I appreciate that some viewers will find this aspect of the series off-putting. But in the case of Daredevil, it feels justified and true to the source material. Nothing is toned down. This show has guts, and it's willing to spill them in graphic detail.

I've also got to comment on the updated Daredevil suit. Words cannot express how much I love this costume. Daredevil's got one of the most difficult outfits to translate into live action, largely on account of its simplicity. But I feel they've really nailed it this season, ironing out the creases from the season 1 suit and tweaking it to the point of perfection. In the past we've seen superhero costumes which look beautiful but offer lousy mobility, and we've seen others that offer great functionality but at the expense of aesthetic. This costume, however, looks great while still offering a full range of mobility. Daredevil pulls off the same kind of gravity-defying martial arts moves he displayed in season 1. The armoured suit doesn't seem to hinder him in the slightest. It also helps that Charlie Cox appears to have gained some extra muscle in between seasons and fills out the costume better than ever.

As with the first season, it's also very faithful to the comics. Elektra's back story has undergone one or two changes, but her character and story arc are very much preserved intact. Nothing feels diluted. In fact I'd say it has more of a comic book feel than the first season, yet they've somehow managed to achieve this without compromising the gritty, realistic tone. I've got around 25 pages of comic references noted in shorthand, though I think I'll hold off with the final analysis for a while; partly to give other people a chance to watch it, but also because I want to re-watch it myself at least a couple more times to make sure I didn't miss anything. But suffice it to say fans of Daredevil, Punisher and Elektra should all be satisfied with how the series handles the source material.

There's so much more I want to say about this season, and my ideas for where I think they'll go in season 3, but for now I'll wait until more people have seen it. Based on my initial viewing, I'd rate it a 9.5/10. I think that's the highest rating I've ever given anything on this site, and it might change after repeated viewings. But it's the score I'm sticking with for the time being. I feel like I've just watched the longest and best superhero movie ever made, and I can't recommend it highly enough.

Now I''m crossing my fingers that they announce season 3 before The Defenders miniseries. Time to reset the hype clock: 1 year to go...

Tue, 22 Mar 2016, 22:24 #48 Last Edit: Tue, 22 Mar 2016, 22:34 by Nycteris
Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat, 19 Mar  2016, 00:23
Thanks, bud. I'm glad someone else found the subject interesting besides me.

I also read it back when it was first shared with the FB page. A fascinating read, as always, and I learned a lot of interesting things I didn't know.

I'm currently on episode 10, I'm sad that it's only three episodes to go. It's really the best live action comic book series ever - Arrow and Flash can't escape their CW-ness (I've seen this description elsewhere, and I feel it's apt) while Gotham... I love it but Gotham is a different kind of beast and certainly nowhere near as serious and well thought out as DD (but no, Nemesis, it's not soapy, leave the soap opera content to CW! )

I'll even go as far to say that the two seasons of DareDevil are exactly what Nolanites *think* that TDK is, but in reality isn't.

The writing, acting, fight choreography, cinematography, music – everything is top notch. The Netflix format is perfect for comic book adaptations and allows for far greater depth of character and density of plot than you'd ever find in a film or network TV show. A good example of this is a scene in one of the early episodes where the Punisher shares a moving and deeply personal story with Daredevil. It's beautifully written and acted. And owing to the freedom afforded by the flexible runtime and lack of commercial breaks, the whole monologue is allowed to play out at its own deliberate pace. It's a scene that tells you so much about this character and his motivations, yet I doubt you'd ever get a scene quite like it in a feature film. I wish every superhero could get this kind of quality treatment.

What about the wise lack of music in key moments? IMO it adds to realism and raw emotion, avoiding schmaltz. In the scene you describe there isn't any soft piano/ manipulative chords etc. which are usually added to "character scenes" in lesser movies and shows. It's just Bernthal's voice. Music appears only towards the end, and very subtly, very low volume. The show is very spartan in the use of incidental music - outside of the opening credits, there's very few moments where it swells, and it's only when it really matters.

Gore? Nothing too excessive or gratuitous IMO (mind you, I haven't seen 11-13 yet as I write this so there might be worse things than bullets on the face and bludgeoned skulls).

As for the fights, that staircase fight is better than 90% of fights seen in most comic book films, put together.

I would have many more to comment on, but better keep it brief - it will be very interesting to read your spoiler-filled reviews and comic-to-screen analysis.

Wed, 23 Mar 2016, 22:28 #49 Last Edit: Sun, 20 Aug 2017, 18:59 by Silver Nemesis
Quote from: Nycteris on Tue, 22 Mar  2016, 22:24I also read it back when it was first shared with the FB page. A fascinating read, as always, and I learned a lot of interesting things I didn't know.

I'm glad you liked it. And I appreciate the positive feedback. :) I'm also delighted to hear you're enjoying the series so much. It really is excellent and more people on this site should see it.

It's hilarious to think there were fans complaining in 2014 when Marvel announced Daredevil was getting a TV show instead of a movie. If they'd gone with the cinematic approach, we would've gotten a 2 hour PG-13 film once every three or four years. Instead we're getting 13 hours of practically unrestricted top-quality content every year. Come to think of it, season 1 debuted on April 10th 2015. Which means we've had two whole seasons – 26 episodes – in less than a year!

Quote from: Nycteris on Tue, 22 Mar  2016, 22:24I'm currently on episode 10, I'm sad that it's only three episodes to go. It's really the best live action comic book series ever - Arrow and Flash can't escape their CW-ness (I've seen this description elsewhere, and I feel it's apt) while Gotham... I love it but Gotham is a different kind of beast and certainly nowhere near as serious and well thought out as DD (but no, Nemesis, it's not soapy, leave the soap opera content to CW! )

Agreed on all counts. I'm glad DC has pulled their finger out when it comes to their television output, but sometimes it feels like they're going for quantity over quality. I've enjoyed what I've seen of The Flash, but it's certainly nowhere near the standard of quality that Marvel's putting out in their Netflix shows. Marvel's been dominating the movies for some time, and now they're taking the lead on television too.

Quote from: Nycteris on Tue, 22 Mar  2016, 22:24I'll even go as far to say that the two seasons of DareDevil are exactly what Nolanites *think* that TDK is, but in reality isn't.

True. And that's not a dig at Nolan, I enjoy his films a lot. But IMO Daredevil's taken the genre to another level entirely.

It's funny how when Nolan's Batman films debuted, some fans claimed the serious tone made the Burton Batman seem closer to the sixties TV show. Now Daredevil comes along with a tone that's so dark and adult it makes Batman Begins seem tonally closer to the Joel Schumacher Batman.

Again, not a dig at Nolan. Just a reflection on how the passage of time changes our perceptions.

Quote from: Nycteris on Tue, 22 Mar  2016, 22:24What about the wise lack of music in key moments? IMO it adds to realism and raw emotion, avoiding schmaltz. In the scene you describe there isn't any soft piano/ manipulative chords etc. which are usually added to "character scenes" in lesser movies and shows. It's just Bernthal's voice. Music appears only towards the end, and very subtly, very low volume. The show is very spartan in the use of incidental music - outside of the opening credits, there's very few moments where it swells, and it's only when it really matters.

That's a great observation. I like John Paesano's score a lot, but I hadn't really thought about its application in scenes like the one you highlighted until now. But looking back on it, you're right. It ties in with my point about pacing. I've seen comments from some viewers who think that monologue went on too long. But I found the duration was one of the things that made it seem so raw and natural. The absence of music enhanced that. If they'd added some sentimental melody in the background it would've taken the viewer out of the scene and drawn attention to its length. Smart creative choice by Paesano.

There's another powerful scene in the final episode. I don't want to spoil it in case you haven't seen it yet, but it's a conversation between two characters immediately prior to the final showdown, where they discuss what the future may have in store. There is music during this scene, but it's a subtle, quiet ambient piece playing softly in the background. It beautifully compliments the emotionality of the scene without clumsily drawing attention to it. The drama comes from the writing and acting; the music merely serves to enhance that, not intrude upon it.

Quote from: Nycteris on Tue, 22 Mar  2016, 22:24Gore? Nothing too excessive or gratuitous IMO (mind you, I haven't seen 11-13 yet as I write this so there might be worse things than bullets on the face and bludgeoned skulls).

As for the fights, that staircase fight is better than 90% of fights seen in most comic book films, put together.

That fight was insane. In general, this show has the best superhero fight scenes I've ever come across. Practical stunt work, excellent and varied choreography, clearly shot and edited, with some nice touches of humour thrown in. Perfection. I think this particular fight was a tribute to Tony Jaa's restaurant skirmish in Tom yum goong (2005). And just when you think it's over, those three bruisers show up to provide an end-of-stage boss fight.

I love the grin Matt gives when he pulls the trigger at the beginning. A nice nod to Frank Miller's cover art for the 2nd issue of his original Daredevil/Punisher crossover.

And how about Frank's fight scene from episode 9? Yes, that one. Makes me wish Marvel would develop a proper Daredevil videogame. Whenever that topic comes up, people always crack the obvious jokes about it being a 1st person shooter with a black screen. But seriously, they could make such a good game out of this property. I imagine it being a cross between Prince of Persia and the Batman Arkham series.

Quote from: Nycteris on Tue, 22 Mar  2016, 22:24I would have many more to comment on, but better keep it brief - it will be very interesting to read your spoiler-filled reviews and comic-to-screen analysis.

I'm looking forward to writing that analysis up. There are so many things taken from the comics, it's going to be huge. And I hope you'll post your final score when you've finished the last 3 episodes.

One other thing I'd like to mention is how impressed I was by the way they captured Punisher's coldblooded machine-like persona without making him one-dimensional. That's a pitfall some of the previous adaptations stumbled into. But Bernthal conveyed the damaged humanity beneath the cold exterior with tremendous depth, and he did it without compromising the character's ruthlessness. There were a few points where I thought they might have Frank back down and show mercy, but it never happened.  He's clearly the Punisher through and through and is completely beyond redemption. And that's how the character should be portrayed.

But where should he appear next? Should he return in the next season of Daredevil, or should he get his own spin-off series? How about an R-rated movie developed as a feature-length Netflix original? The character's too good to waste. They've got to bring him back somehow.