Nolan & Bale Back?

Started by BatmAngelus, Mon, 4 Mar 2013, 03:13

Previous topic - Next topic
http://latino-review.com/2013/03/03/exclusive-dcu-takeover-huge-developments-justice-league/

El Mayimbe of Latino Review (who's had scoops that came true in the past) has reported that Chris Nolan has taken on a Kevin Feige-type role at WB, godfathering all of the DC Universe there, and is set to produce the Justice League film, with Zach Snyder either producing or directing, and Christian Bale returning to the role of Batman.

I totally understand WB's reasoning behind this.  And yes, it'd be a smoother transition than bringing in a different actor/rebooted Batman into the Justice League with Henry Cavill.

But I have to say no thanks.  If it's set after Dark Knight Rises, it'd make the ending pointless (he quits for a second time, fakes his death and dumps the cave to Blake...but now comes out of retirement again?).

And personally, I'm not interested in seeing Bale return to the cowl again.

Of course, despite Mayimbe's track record, I'm not sure how much I'd buy this.  Nolan's said time and time again that he's done with Batman and superheroes.  Either he's been lying (and why?) or WB found some way for him to change his mind.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

A Christian Bale Batman / Superman team-up is 7 years too late. Had it been after Begins I might buy into it, but TDK and TDKR established that the Nolanverse had no room for fantasy-esqe characters.

If there is an ounce of truth to Bale's return then WB are truly without a plan...or any credible foresight and ambition for their DC properties.

While I was looking forward to a new style of Batman movie (more in sync with older movies style such as Burton) I gotta say if this news is true I am both stunned and very delighted. I just can't see who can take over from Bale and the suggestions fans have made have left me severly underwhelmed. So him returning for this would defintely increase my interest in a Justice League film (a project I have been a sworn enemy of) and give me a sigh of relief at the choice of actor playing Batman.

One thing about Hollywood guys nothing stays constant in film production or it's fiction lol If that were the case my dream scenario would be true: Michael Keaton and Tim Burton still making Batman films to this day! If you crave the continuity of the Superman movies as I do you will know that the once believable world of the original Donner film later became infested with sentient supercomputers and even (in spin off film Supergirl) black magic demons! Therefore having the fantastical Man of Steel also inhabit the realistic world of Nolan's Bat is a leap in a single bound I can do with great ease. I'm very much open to new creativity and changing plans.

In my opinion, since Bale has been the weakest link in the last 2 Batman films...I hardly see his casting as a necessity.

Mon, 4 Mar 2013, 04:33 #4 Last Edit: Mon, 4 Mar 2013, 04:57 by BatmAngelus
Agreed.  I think Bale was at his best when he wasn't in costume.  Putting him back in the suit, with that infamous voice and his overacting, after a whole three hour movie about him quitting twice?  Not something I'd be looking forward to seeing.

EDIT:
That all being said...I do like this news better than having the JGL/Blake Batman in Justice League for a couple reasons.  One is that the Batman interacting with Superman and the JLA would be Bruce Wayne, as it should be if you're finally going to put these icons together on the big screen for the first time.

The other is that, if they're going to tie the TDKBatman universe into the Justice League, I'd much rather have Nolan involved than not.  My feelings on Rises aside, it's his take on the character and I'd rather see him be the one to continue his own universe than someone else.  If Nolan has found a way to bring his Bruce back into costume, despite the events of his last movie, and how to tie his "realism" take on the Dark Knight with the other superheroes, then, well...let's see it.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Just because Nolan would be in charge of other DC pictures doesn't mean that they all have to be the hardline realism of the recent Batman films. His crazed fans might feel it's blasphemy to change, but Nolan strikes me as a smart and open minded person. He set out to make his Batman films as real as possible, but it doesn't mean he can't try something else with other films. Nolan cares about character motivation more than anything else, that usually leads to good storytelling.

Indeed.

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Mon,  4 Mar  2013, 03:13
If it's set after Dark Knight Rises, it'd make the ending pointless (he quits for a second time, fakes his death and dumps the cave to Blake...but now comes out of retirement again?).
In thinking it over, since I don't care for the ending anyway, why should I be upset with them doing this? 

I've changed my mind now.  If this report is true, then go ahead, Chris.  DO IT! Maybe I'll be able to watch BB, TDK, then skip to Justice League and pretend Rises never happened...   ;D

I doubt it'll be that simple, but I can dream.

I'm opposed to it because Nolan's Batman wasn't really conceived on the basis of a shared universe. Plus, as others have already said, Bale's Bruce is a lot better than his Batman; I think it's high time for a new take just for that reason. I'd like to see a live action Batman designed for a universe with other heroes rather than forcing Nolan's version into something it wasn't intended to fit into. And this isn't to protect the "purity" of Nolan's vision as it is to give a Justice League movie as much potential as possible.

Wasn't Nolan very strict about the so-called "realism" and adamant about giving his version of Batman a definite ending?

His possible reasoning was to offer zero possibility in someone else taking over his continuity, or have his version of Batman co-exist with a larger live action DCU (he was no doubt aware of WB's plans).

This is exactly what will happen if Nolan and Bale act as a "bridge" between their trilogy and a live action DCU.

If this is legit, what happened behind the scenes?

Quote from: SilentEnigma on Mon,  4 Mar  2013, 21:14If this is legit, what happened behind the scenes?
One view is maybe Nolan simply changed his mind. Nothing more complicated than that. If I recall, he originally said he'd used up all of his ideas for Batman in TDK (hence, I suppose, that movie's unevenness) but later came up with an idea that became TDKRises. Maybe he doodled something that can tie his Batman in with WB's Justice League of America. Creative people get ideas for stuff. It's how they roll. It shouldn't surprise us. If anything, it should make them think twice about making these kinds of promises. Not saying I believe any of this stuff, just playing devil's advocate.