Marvel's Daredevil (Netflix)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Thu, 31 Jul 2014, 17:11

Previous topic - Next topic
Mmm. That synopsis actually tends to call the Born Again angle into question somewhat. I mean, I realize there's a huge difference between "adaptation" and "inspiration". Season 03 could be a heaping portion of "inspired by" Born Again. But were I to be overly literalistic about the matter, I'd suggest to you that Matt didn't really face a "choice" in Born Again, so much. More like, his life was forcibly wrecked and he had to rebuild... partly by choice and partly because circumstances demanded it.

Then again, it's been a while since I read Born Again so maybe I'm wrong.

Then again again, I don't NEED this season to be any kind of adaptation of Born Again. So there you go.

Here's our first look at Joanne Whalley as Sister Maggie. She is one of the two most important new additions to the cast this season, the other being Bullseye. I wonder if Val will be watching.

Note the wound on Matt's left flank. That's where he was knifed by Turk in Born Again.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed, 26 Sep  2018, 20:01Then again, it's been a while since I read Born Again so maybe I'm wrong.

Nope, you're spot on.

We've talked before about the Daredevil comics' tendency to repeat the same storyline once every decade or so, and this is another good example of that trend. The idea of Daredevil abandoning his civilian alter ego so he can focus all his efforts on crime fighting has been explored numerous times. The first example was back in the Silver Age where he leaped out of a crashing plane in Daredevil Vol 1 #54 so everyone would think Matt Murdock was dead (this is not to be confused with the time he faked his death as Mike Murdock just one year earlier in Daredevil Vol 1 #41). His 'death' didn't last long and he showed up at his own funeral a few issues later, whereupon he revealed his true identity to Karen. Karen's function in the Silver Age comics was basically to provide an emotional punching bag for Matt's terrible life decisions, so it's fitting that she had to grieve for both Mike and Matt within the span of a year.

Matt doesn't intentionally fake his death during Born Again, but there is a point early in the story where he chooses to sever contact with Foggy, Glorianna and Ben. Matt spends days, possibly weeks, living in dosshouses and brawling on the streets before he's eventually saved by Maggie. During that time, his friends don't know if he's dead or alive. They, along with Karen, fear he's been killed, when in reality he is convalescing under Maggie's care at the church. It's only when he returns to action in the second half of the story that he reveals he's still alive to the wider world. It's not exactly the same as faking his own death, but the plot of Born Again does entail Matt allowing his friends to think might be dead.

Then there was the Fall from Grace arc in the nineties. In that storyline his secret identity was compromised by a reporter named Sara Harrington, so in Daredevil Vol 1 #325 he fakes Matt Murdock's death – yet again – this time using the corpse of his demonic doppelganger, Hellspawn. His friends throw yet another funeral for Matt, and Karen is once again bereaved. Daredevil then pretends to be his own masked successor so he can carry on fighting crime, and he even adopts a slightly darker, meaner persona so criminals will think he's not the original Daredevil. But he allows Karen, Foggy and everyone else to continue believing he's dead so he can focus all his efforts on being Daredevil. This lasted for quite a while, until eventually he started to undergo an identity crisis and suffered another of his many breakdowns. Interestingly, the one character Matt let know he was still alive during this storyline was Maggie. The TV show definitively seems to be referencing this in season 3.

I suppose you could argue that Daredevil: Reborn was another example of this type of plot. Following Shadowland, Matt disappears from New York and no one knows for sure if he's alive or dead. During this time he wanders in isolation and even goes back to wearing his black 'Man Without Fear' costume, just like the MCU Daredevil in season 3 (and The Defenders was sort of like the MCU's watered down version of Shadowland). He doesn't finally return to New York and resume his life as Matt Murdock until the very last scene of that story, at which point he also digs out the old red costume he'd discarded when he became possessed by the Beast.

With season 3 I get the impression they're mostly drawing from Born Again, while also picking some of the stronger elements from other similar storylines. The idea of Matt losing his red costume is a common thread in some of these tales. He lost his costume after the first chapter of Born Again and didn't get it back again until the second half of the story. He donned his old yellow and black/red suit while undergoing his identity crisis after the Fall from Grace arc. And of course he went back to wearing his black suit during the events of Reborn.

I expect season 3 will be an amalgamation of these different stories, while also hopefully throwing some surprise twists into the mix.

I dig the way these teasers are mostly comprised of specially shot footage so as not to give too much away. On the one hand it's frustrating that we're only seeing tiny flashes of the new season. But on the other hand it'll mean more surprises when the show finally gets here.

Quotebut you have done evil above all that were before you and have gone and made for yourself other gods, and molten images, provoking me to anger, and have cast me behind your back;

3 weeks today!

Official NY Comic-Con poster art by Paolo Rivera.

The first full trailer can't be far off now. The NY Comic-Con panel is scheduled for October 6th, so it should arrive no later than that.

Set interviews have appeared online revealing fresh hints about the new season.

Charlie Cox on Matt's connection with Maggie:

Quote"That's actually been one of the things that's been great, is that's a whole new relationship. And so that has been one of the areas where ... I felt like I got to explore a different kind of vulnerability. ... The first episode was all me and her, all me and her. And I just love that, I love that, you know, that relationship. I'm excited for the fans to see that, because I think ... some people will think they know who she is to me, and whether they're right or wrong, it will be interesting for them to watch that dynamic, I think. I hope."

I'm guessing they might change things so that Matt and Maggie have a slightly different relationship in the MCU. Like maybe she was one of the nuns who raised him at the orphanage. But I do hope she's still his biological mother as well.

Cox on the more fantastical elements from season 2 and The Defenders:

Quote"Over the years, there's been [comic book] writers and illustrators who have really delved deep into the Hand and that mythological element, and bringing people back from the dead. And then there's others that have had very little of that, and it was very grounded and real. You know, my preference is the stuff that doesn't have as much mythology.

"We're now back in a world that feels grounded and real, and those things happened. But in the same way, in the first season, it was all very grounded and real, but we still lived in a world where Iron Man exists, we still lived in a world where Thor exists, and we [made] kind of fun Easter egg references to them. But in the nature of this moment in this show, we're not dealing with that anymore. And that's what we do in Season 3. We're back in a much more kind of traditional crime-thriller-like environment."

A lot of people seem to feel this way about the Elektra/Hand material. I've never minced words about the fact I don't particularly like Elektra, either in the comics or the TV show. But the storyline about her and the Hand is still an important part of the mythos, so I'm glad they covered it in the series. And I did enjoy the storyline about the Hand in the second half of season 2, even though most viewers apparently didn't. That said, the Elektra/Hand material has clearly run its course. It dominated most of DD season 2 and all of The Defenders. Now it's time to move on.

Erik Oleson on the general tone and action scenes:

Quote"I wanted to tell a thriller that is somewhere, tonally, between Season 1 of this show and The Sopranos. It is much darker, more character-driven. The action sequences are violent and explosive and very much Daredevil, and yet there are real stakes in every action sequence this season. There are emotional decisions that are being made. There are characters who will die, there are fights that Matt will lose. It is not a predictable season."

Ever since the stairwell sequence in season 2, I've been wondering how they could up the ante on the one-shot fight scenes. An idea I had was to stage a fight scene on a railway platform, then have the characters stumble onto a train, continue fighting, then get off at another station, then board another train, and so on. To execute this in one shot would probably be too complicated on a technical level, but it would make for an amazing spectacle. It would also be a neat way of referencing the subway fight from Born Again.

An alternative might be to do a bigger version of the season 2 stairwell fight. Have the characters battle their way to the top of a building, then cross over to the adjacent rooftop and fight their way back down. But again, shifting the action from one building to another within a single shot might be too complicated. Still, I'm looking forward to seeing whatever they do come up with for the one-shot fight scene this season.

Oleson on the absence of other heroes:

Quote"I wanted it to be standalone, I did not do crossovers this season. I wanted to really get back to these core characters, and use the real estate to focus on who they are and really flesh them out before I introduced external and other kind of elements of the MCU, at least all the Netflix Marvel stuff. I really wanted to get back to the core characters and tell a character-driven season, where the action is surprising and it kind of catches you off-guard."

Excellent!

Oleson on the comic book influences:

Quote"My hope was to draw inspiration from comics like 'Born Again' and 'Guardian Devil,. And there's certainly moments that resonated for me tonally that I used as inspiration, but [Season 3] is an original story. I am not doing a direct translation of any of the comics. I think that would have been a mistake. I want to give the audience what they want, but not in a way that they expect it. I want to make sure that everybody is really hooked with an original story where they are deeply invested in the characters this season, and understand why the characters behave the way that they behave, and why they do the things that they do."

This is more or less what we expected, but it's nice to have confirmation of the Guardian Devil influence. At least one major character is clearly going to die this season. If it's not Karen, then it'll be Foggy, Marci, Lantom, Maggie or Vanessa. But someone is checking out. The only two characters that are safe right now are Matt and Fisk. Anyone else is fair game.

Oleson on Kingpin:

Quote"It's a pyrrhic victory, right? Locked up, and he's separated from the woman he loves, and for all of the power that he may be able to exercise within prison, that is not a fulfilling life. And he learns, in the first episode of the season, that Vanessa, his love, will face criminal charges as an accessory to his crimes in Season 1.

"As we all know, Wilson Fisk, there's often more to him than meets the eye, and I see him this season as somewhat of a spymaster. I was fascinated about what Wilson Fisk would look like with that kind of skill set. We always see Fisk having hooks into people, and I go a lot deeper with that this season. And that will set Matt and Fisk, of course, on a collision course, which will have tremendous implications for everyone in our cast, and for who Matt is."

I've got a gut feeling there may be at least one other comic villain this season that we haven't heard about yet. We know Kingpin and Bullseye are featuring prominently, but I think there might be another villain in a smaller role.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue,  2 Oct  2018, 20:49
Quotewe still lived in a world where Iron Man exists, we still lived in a world where Thor exists, and we [made] kind of fun Easter egg references to them. But in the nature of this moment in this show, we're not dealing with that anymore. And that's what we do in Season 3. We're back in a much more kind of traditional crime-thriller-like environment."
Fine by me. I'll develop this more later on but I think this is the right move for them to take.

A crime thriller is a better fit for the tone of the show anyway. One minor quibble I had with season 02 was how the tone didn't completely adjust to the fact that the story revolved around a zombie ninja death cult. It's common knowledge that I got into season 02 more than you did but I wouldn't claim it's perfect. Good but hardly perfect.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue,  2 Oct  2018, 20:49An idea I had was to stage a fight scene on a railway platform, then have the characters stumble onto a train, continue fighting, then get off at another station, then board another train, and so on. To execute this in one shot would probably be too complicated on a technical level
What if the lights flicker out occasionally on the train, allowing for cuts and new camera setups to continue the action?

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue,  2 Oct  2018, 20:49Oleson on the absence of other heroes:

Quote"I wanted it to be standalone, I did not do crossovers this season. I wanted to really get back to these core characters, and use the real estate to focus on who they are and really flesh them out before I introduced external and other kind of elements of the MCU, at least all the Netflix Marvel stuff. I really wanted to get back to the core characters and tell a character-driven season, where the action is surprising and it kind of catches you off-guard."

Excellent!
Indeed. Bear in mind that I still haven't watched Iron Fist's second season or any of Luke Cage. But the impression I'm getting from nearly everybody associated with the Netflixverse is they did Defenders, it was what it was (for good or ill) and everybody mostly got it out of their systems but from now on they're mostly steering clear of the extraneous crossovers and guest appearances.

I sometimes wonder that the Netflix creative teams look at goings on with the MCU and think "Yeah, I don't want anything to do with that".

For me, the payoff there is that crossovers won't lose their novelty (as they have with the MCU) or become obligatory (as they're starting to with the Arrowverse). If there's another Defenders season, great. They can shoot their load on crossovers and stuff there. But keeping the solo shows mostly independent of each other going forward is definitely the right move.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue,  2 Oct  2018, 20:49Oleson on the comic book influences:

Quote"My hope was to draw inspiration from comics like 'Born Again' and 'Guardian Devil,. And there's certainly moments that resonated for me tonally that I used as inspiration, but [Season 3] is an original story. I am not doing a direct translation of any of the comics. I think that would have been a mistake. I want to give the audience what they want, but not in a way that they expect it. I want to make sure that everybody is really hooked with an original story where they are deeply invested in the characters this season, and understand why the characters behave the way that they behave, and why they do the things that they do."
I don't mind this except that for me Daredevil's second season kind of suffered for being inspired by Shadowland. I rather enjoy Shadowland and there wasn't enough of a Shadowland influence to really scratch the itch for me.

I get that sampling comic book stories in the context of telling an otherwise original story is probably a deeply satisfying approach on a creative level. But for diehards, it sometimes is disappointing that a particular idea or subplot from some comic book isn't take further.

Sour grapes?

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue,  2 Oct  2018, 20:49This is more or less what we expected, but it's nice to have confirmation of the Guardian Devil influence. At least one major character is clearly going to die this season. If it's not Karen, then it'll be Foggy, Marci, Lantom, Maggie or Vanessa. But someone is checking out. The only two characters that are safe right now are Matt and Fisk. Anyone else is fair game.
I hope it's not Foggy. Anybody else is fine with me but I'm a sucker for the Foggy/Matt dynamic... even though, in fairness, the show has basically covered most of Foggy's major arcs related to Matt by now.

My heart wants the sacrificial lamb to be Karen. But my head is saying Foggy is getting fitted for a toe tag as we speak. :(

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue,  2 Oct  2018, 20:49"As we all know, Wilson Fisk, there's often more to him than meets the eye, and I see him this season as somewhat of a spymaster. I was fascinated about what Wilson Fisk would look like with that kind of skill set. We always see Fisk having hooks into people, and I go a lot deeper with that this season. And that will set Matt and Fisk, of course, on a collision course, which will have tremendous implications for everyone in our cast, and for who Matt is."
Spymaster?

Apart from who's living and who's dying, should we start conjecturing on which episode Fisk discovers Murdock's secret identity this season? The Born Again thing is what it is. They're not denying that at this point. And Fisk getting Daredevil's dox is probably the most famous part of BA.

Mixing influences from Guardian Devil with Born Again is actually a pretty inspired idea. Don't know if I ever said so. But the stakes and big climax of Guardian Devil could flow really easily from the basic concept of Born Again, bypassing that "Antichrist baby" stuff and all that. The original story thing is fine but those two comic storylines go incredibly well together.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue,  2 Oct  2018, 20:49I've got a gut feeling there may be at least one other comic villain this season that we haven't heard about yet. We know Kingpin and Bullseye are featuring prominently, but I think there might be another villain in a smaller role.
Some variation on Mr. Fear could be interesting. There are a lot of ways other villains could surface in this show.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue,  2 Oct  2018, 21:17What if the lights flicker out occasionally on the train, allowing for cuts and new camera setups to continue the action?

That could work. In fact come to think of it, the flickering lights would echo the season 3 teaser from 2016.

Seriously, a train fight would be epic. If they don't do this in season 3, they need to do it in season 4.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue,  2 Oct  2018, 21:17Apart from who's living and who's dying, should we start conjecturing on which episode Fisk discovers Murdock's secret identity this season? The Born Again thing is what it is. They're not denying that at this point. And Fisk getting Daredevil's dox is probably the most famous part of BA.

I have some ideas about that. D'Onofrio recently tweeted the following concerning Deborah Ann Woll.

It sounds like the scene he's alluding to could be the one where he confronts Karen about Wesley's death. If that's so then Karen, fearing for her life, might offer him Daredevil's secret identity in a bid to save herself. It's possible she'll do this in the first half of the season when she still thinks Matt's dead. If she does it later in the season, when she knows he's alive, then it would constitute an even bigger act of betrayal.

Another possibility is that Bullseye might uncover Daredevil's secret and reveal it to Fisk. Bullseye figured out that Matt was Daredevil after he killed Elektra in Daredevil Vol 1 #181. He tried telling Kingpin, but Fisk didn't believe him. Then Daredevil threw Bullseye off a roof and broke every bone in his body. You'd think Fisk might have connected the dots after that, but evidently it took him a little longer to work it out. If this is how it plays out in the TV show, then Kingpin probably won't learn Matt's secret until the latter half of the season. Then we could be looking at a cliff-hanger ending.

A third possibility is that he'll know from the outset. He was already suspicious of Matt in season 2, and he may have correlated the blind lawyer's disappearance with the last known sighting of Daredevil following the Midland Circle incident.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue,  2 Oct  2018, 21:17Mixing influences from Guardian Devil with Born Again is actually a pretty inspired idea. Don't know if I ever said so. But the stakes and big climax of Guardian Devil could flow really easily from the basic concept of Born Again, bypassing that "Antichrist baby" stuff and all that. The original story thing is fine but those two comic storylines go incredibly well together.

Agreed.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue,  2 Oct  2018, 21:17Some variation on Mr. Fear could be interesting. There are a lot of ways other villains could surface in this show.

I've been trying to figure out who the most likely candidate would be for the main villain in season 4 (Jeph Loeb says they have ideas for at least two more seasons), and right now Mister Fear would appear to be the best pick. Though that might change after season 3. By then they will have already covered Kingpin, Elektra, Bullseye, the Hand and the Punisher. And since the show is consciously moving away from the supernatural themes of season 2 and The Defenders, it seems unlikely we'll be getting any overtly paranormal adversaries in the near future. Which means we can rule out characters like Mephisto, Blackheart, Death's Head, Hellspawn and Death-Stalker, at least for the time being. It's also unlikely we'll be seeing any of the cheesier Silver Age villains, such as Stilt-Man, Leap-Frog, Matador, Masked Marauder, Cobra or the Ani-Men/Unholy Three. And I'm assuming Spider-Man villains like Tombstone and Electro are also off limits. Purple Man, Mister Hyde and Nuke have all been dealt with in other MCU shows, so they're off the table as well.

The next villains on the hierarchy, after Fisk, Elektra, Bullseye, etc, would be the Owl, Typhoid Mary, Mister Fear and Jester. They already did a version of Leland in season 1, but Steve DeKnight has hinted Owlsley's son might appear in a future season as a more comic-accurate version of the Owl seeking revenge against Fisk. If they introduce this character in season 3, then there's a good chance he'll take a central role in season 4. Otherwise they may be done with the Owl altogether. Jester might work as the main villain. His MO, revolving around media crimes, entails what would nowadays be termed as "fake news", and that could make for a very topical season. But I'm not sure his harlequin costume and weaponized toys would work well with the show's grounded sensibilities.

Until recently Typhoid Mary was my first choice for the season 4 villain. But after seeing Iron Fist season 2, I just can't imagine the MCU Mary Walker being a suitable successor to Kingpin or the Hand. I liked Alice Eve's performance a lot, but the portrayal of her skills and powers was completely different from the comics. She's not a big enough threat to carry a whole season. I also think the lover-enemy dynamic would be too similar to the Elektra storyline. I don't think they'll be using Echo either for the same reason.

But Mister Fear would be perfect. If Bullseye is going to test Daredevil physically in season 3, then it would make sense to go with a villain who can test him psychologically in season 4. They could introduce Larry Cranston as a rival lawyer with a shady history. Maybe drop some hints about his enemies suffering from mental breakdowns. Having a lawyer as the main antagonist would create the potential for more courtroom drama. They could even adapt the storyline about Foggy running for D.A. against Blake Tower (who they already introduced in season 2), with Cranston acting as Tower's secret ally and trying to sabotage Foggy's campaign, similar to the Joker targeting Dent in The Dark Knight.

The two best storylines featuring the Larry Cranston Mister Fear IMO are a Joe Kelly arc that ran from Daredevil Vol 1 #373-375 (March-May 1998) and Ed Brubaker's 'Without Fear' (Daredevil Vol 2 #100-105, October 2007-April 2008). After doing their own version of the Bullseye saga and Born Again in season 3, the show's writers will have more or less exhausted Miller's Daredevil material. If they're looking for other writers to draw from in seasons 4 and 5, then I'd say Bendis and Brubaker would be the most logical choices. And 'Without Fear' is one of the best stories to reference if they're going to adapt Mister Fear.

Here are some other villains I think would fit in with the show's style, albeit in smaller secondary-villain roles.

BULLET

A powerhouse assassin whose protective attitude towards his son adds a somewhat sympathetic dimension to his character. There are other mercenary/assassin villains in the Daredevil comics, like Bushwacker and Ammo, but Bullet would probably be the most suitable.

MUSE

Also known as Vincent van Gore, Muse is one of the darkest and most disturbing villains in Matt's gallery of rogues. He's a serial killer who turns his victims' corpses into works of art and leaves them around the city for Daredevil to find. His inclusion would push the show into horror territory, but he'd be a good secondary villain to complement Mister Fear.

THE KING OF THE SEWERS

On the surface, this guy might seem inappropriate for the TV show. But they already introduced the abandoned tunnels beneath New York in season 1 episode 6, and Daredevil returned there in season 2 when he was hunting the Hand. The King could be reimagined as an albino gang leader who picks a fight with Daredevil the next time he ventures into those tunnels.

LADY BULLSEYE

This character's introduction will obviously depend on what happens to Bullseye in season 3.

THE ENFORCERS

A small but dangerous outfit that have gone up against numerous New York heroes, including Daredevil. Ox, Montana and Fancy Dan constitute the main line-up, though other villains have joined the gang over the years. Ox in particular has a long history of battles with Daredevil and is one of his earliest Silver Age foes. They'd be perfect for the TV show.

GLADIATOR

Without Matt watching out for him, I fear Potter may go back to working for Fisk in season 3. Maybe Kingpin will punish him for making Daredevil's costume and force him to make his new white suit. Regardless, I think it's time Potter donned his wrist-blades. The villain Skeletron from Turbo Kid (2015) offers a good template for how they might look in live action.

They say that fandom is what you call thinking things out waaaaaaaaaay ahead of time.

But if things go in a Born Again direction this season, Out is a logical direction for season four. And to your point, throwing in other influences/beats like The Murdock Papers, The Devil In Cell-Block D, Without Fear, etc either in season four or maybe season five. The latter part of the Bendis run and practically all of the Brubaker run would fit nicely into what could transpire after season three.

There's a lot of comics material that can be used as inspiration. Daredevil has a pretty impressive history. Not on Batman's level, perhaps, but it's easy to forget how much goodness is in his publication history.

Fri, 5 Oct 2018, 17:42 #159 Last Edit: Fri, 5 Oct 2018, 19:06 by Silver Nemesis
In keeping with my policy of overanalysing every snippet of information in insane detail (that's what happens when you starve a fanboy for two and a half years), here's my commentary on the trailer.

Matt wearing a baseball cap while keeping a low profile is typical of the comics.

There are some scenes here lifted straight from The Murdock Papers. Namely Kingpin cutting a deal with the feds...

...and delivering a speech to the press upon his release.

This shot is interesting.

There was a shot of the FBI convoy being attacked in one of the earlier teasers. So is Fisk actually released by the FBI, or does he escape?

Bullseye's church massacre from Guardian Devil gets a visual nod in the following scene.

I was correct about them mixing the Daredevil imposter subplot from Born Again with the Ann Nocenti storyline from Daredevil Vol 1 #284-290 (September 1990-March 1991), in which Bullseye steals Daredevil's costume and tries to destroy his reputation. Note the "I'm Daredevil" line at the end of the trailer. In the comic Bullseye, being the maniac that he is, started to believe he actually was Daredevil.

This trailer also confirms that the leaked image of Daredevil stalking an imposter at the New York Bulletin offices was genuine. Here's an official image of the same scene.

This scene was supposedly leaked from the preview episodes sent to critics, which means it takes place in the first half of the season. I'm guessing episode 6 will end on a cliff-hanger with Daredevil confronting Bullseye in the NY Bulletin office.

Kingpin sitting in front of multiple television sets is an image straight out of Born Again.

Bullseye doing what Bullseye does best. ;D

There are several shots of Matt fighting Potter. Two explanations spring to mind: 1) Potter thinks Daredevil abandoned him, has gone back to working for Fisk and now considers Matt his enemy, or 2) Potter thinks Matt is the Daredevil imposter who's been killing people. Either way, it looks like Melvin is drawing closer to becoming Gladiator.

The prison fight looks like it's going to be season 3's one-shot sequence. Matt's dressed the same in the following shots, which helps us assemble a rough idea of how this sequence plays out. Note the brown door in the background of the first picture matches the doors in the corridor where the fight is taking place. The yellow lighting also corresponds.

Maybe Matt goes to see Fisk in prison, possibly with the intent of killing him. He walks into a trap similar to the one Fisk set for the Punisher in season 2. This would mean that Fisk knows Matt is Daredevil by this point. So Matt has to fight his way out of the prison in an epic one-shot action sequence, emerging alive but bloodied. If I'm right, then this sequence would be the TV show's answer to the Born Again scene where Matt goes to the Fisk Tower and gets beaten half to death.

I'm going to go ahead and predict that Matt is talking to himself in the next two scenes and that he's only imagining Fisk is there. Same goes for the scene in the confessional. I'm also guessing these scenes take place after the scene in the prison.

There were two full trailers for season 2. The first focused on the Punisher and mostly showed clips from the first half of the season, while the second focused on Elektra and mostly contained footage from the second half. I'm assuming they've done something similar here. Most of the scenes in this trailer are probably from the first six episodes. The second trailer, which should get released some time after the NY Comic-Con panel on Saturday, will likely focus on the next seven episodes.

In case any doubt remained, the cast list has been updated to confirm that Wilson Bethel is playing Benjamin Poindexter. It's now official – Bullseye has arrived in the MCU.

Here are some more new images.

Just two more weeks to go!