The RoboCop Thread

Started by The Joker, Thu, 24 Feb 2011, 01:53

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Joker on Sun, 16 Sep  2012, 14:55
Near impossible to top the look of the original.
Indeed.

I remember reading part of a supposed outline that said Robocop went through various suits during the film before they settle on 'the' design. Could this be one of those prototypes?

For those of you who haven't seen it these are images of the new Robocop suit. Prepare yourselves for a shock...

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/first-images-of-new-robocop.html

Yes really! This is the new Robocop. Proof if any be needed that remakes are getting severely out of hand now.

I know it's fashionable these days to slate everything practically from the great movies of the past (such as our beloved Burton Batman movies now regarded as being, gasp, CARTOONY!) but c'mon anyone who thinks the old Robocop suit design is naff has seriously gone round the twist. The least they could have done is kept the old design and perhaps done some upgrades to it. It's just too fantastic an image.

So clutch your beloved Paul Verhoeven 1987 original guys. Spread the word of the REAL Robocop to new fans. Not even the mighty Michael Keaton can save this joke now.

Mon, 17 Sep 2012, 16:13 #32 Last Edit: Mon, 17 Sep 2012, 16:18 by Gotham Knight
I was amazed they didn't retain more of the classic design. I know everyone wants to do their own spin, but did it have to be that much of a Guyver sci fi Halo video game departure? The body has something cool about it. Taut meaty looking. Even so...I'm not convinced.

Although, it could be said that this is just the first pass thing, where a classic look will rear it's head in a sequel because these guys refuse to put enough eggs in one basket anymore.

People seem to think this is merely a Mark I type suit (such as Iron Man). Somebody also said however he had seen a prototype teaser poster and it seems this black armour is what's gonna be on it.

Given such an overwhelming negative reaction perhaps the studio will now consider a redesign?

To add insult to injury there is apparently a line in the new script where the original armour is glimpsed and someone rejects it as looking like "a toy of the 1980's"!

Ha bloody ha ha. I get so fed up of these stupid in jokes disguised as tributes to the past in remakes and newer sequels. Remember all the night scenes in the original Robocop films? The armour gleamed in the nighttime reflecting Detroit's city lights. How on earth is this silly black rubber suit gonna gleam and stand out impressively at night also??? Shudder to think.

I want to keep an open mind.  I really do.  But I'm finding difficulty.  Upon seeing this any (minor) interest has just resigned with a heavy, "Eh, I'm out."

The only Robocop movie I have any interest in is the first one. And even then I'm not a devout follower.

However it's going to be hard to beat the set-up they had in the original. Eg. the suit, voice and whatever else.

Yeah, the original is an incredibly well paced, entertaining movie.

2 had it's moments, but the bar was set high, and it never came close to it.

3 I tend to ignore due to several factors. Much of which steered away from what made the original so enjoyable.

Having read more about the script of the remake, I sincerely hope we do not get a scene where a suit that resembles the original is quickly dismissed as looking too much like a '80's toy'.....  >:(

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Thu, 20 Sep  2012, 07:54
Having read more about the script of the remake, I sincerely hope we do not get a scene where a suit that resembles the original is quickly dismissed as looking too much like a '80's toy'.....  >:(
I have to agree. It doesn't come off as funny, but just disrespectful.

Trends come and go. I think sometime in the future people will look back at the first decades of the 21th century, laughing at how action movie directors were trying to make everything look grounded, realistic, mundane, ordinary. For me, Judge Dredd was the worst trailer of the year, and this "Dark Knight with a biker helmet" look of Robocop doesn't look very promising.

QuoteThis looks poor. I'm sure it will be better on screen, but it just seems like a missed opportunity.

Ain't that the truth. My biggest problem with that suit is not just color or other aesthetics, but the overall design is flawed, if you want me to believe this is a man with artificial limbs. The original suit's proportions are deliberately exaggerated in order to make him look like he is actually robotic. The old armor is not based on looking like a metal version of human anatomy, but like how artificial arms and legs would look and function. This does not look like a cyborg at all, this looks like what it is, a man with a costume on. Nothing here suggests robotic, it just looks like a suit over a normal guy.

I mean granted, I know some things had to be changed and updated. Realistic he should be able to move fast, not super slow like before. He would have to look agile. But he still would need to look like a robot. Ultimately this is just a dude in a suit. Major missed opportunity.