The RoboCop Thread

Started by The Joker, Thu, 24 Feb 2011, 01:53

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Gotham Knight on Wed,  2 Mar  2011, 23:13
I was actually hesitant about the idea at first, (hell, it isn't my city though.), now I say go for it...  8)

I love they got Weller, who's now a professor of Renaissance and Roman Art, to do this AND....do his iconic line.

I thought the same thing after watching that.

I love watching his history docs

The original film is one of my all time favourites. Robocop 2 had some good elements too. I am quite excited that they revived this IP. Nothing can touch Verhoeven's original, but I hope they get it right and its a nice update for a new generation of fans.

Here's an interview with lead actor Joel Kinnaman

http://collider.com/robocop-joel-kinnaman-interview/155178/

"I Can't Imagine How ROBOCOP Could Be PG-13″ - "I'm such a huge fan of the original. I think I've seen the first RoboCop, 15 or 20 times. I'm like a kid, that way. And, I love all of [Paul] Verhoeven's movies. He has a very special tone."

Not really liking this bit of recent news.

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2012/03/26/robocop-joel-kinnaman/

'RoboCop' Will Be 'More Human,' Says Star Joel Kinnaman

Quote"It's not going to be jaw action. They're still working on the suit and how it's going to look, but the visor is going to be see-through," he said. "You're going to see his eyes."

Approach just seems off to me. Robo, as the film progressed, gradually got more human in the first film. His humanity came back to him over time and then we saw more in the last act when he took his helmet off.

Robocop being portrayed as an emotionless machine for most of the movie, but eventually regaining his humanity was the whole point of the film in the first place.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Kind of confirms my "leave Robo alone" stance.
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

Quote from: The Joker on Tue, 27 Mar  2012, 21:23
Robocop being portrayed as an emotionless machine for most of the movie, but eventually regaining his humanity was the whole point of the film in the first place.
Absolutely correct. Starting at the end point leaves nowhere to really go. The character has to grow.

I prefer him characterised as a robot, with any other similar behaviour to his past 'life' serving as haunting aftershocks.

From the interview link provided by The Joker.

Kinnaman revealed that the film will be more grounded in reality

If we had a dime every time we hear this phrase in interviews about ANY film... This phrase alone is bad news...

but this version is a much better acting piece, for Alex Murphy and especially when he is RoboCop. It's much more challenging.

What? Peter Weller gave a perfect performance.

As usually happens, this second interview gives more mixed feelings.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 28 Mar  2012, 12:24
Quote from: The Joker on Tue, 27 Mar  2012, 21:23
Absolutely correct. Starting at the end point leaves nowhere to really go. The character has to grow.

I prefer him characterised as a robot, with any other similar behaviour to his past 'life' serving as haunting aftershocks.

Exactly

Hugh Laurie will play the villain in recent news.

Guess who's just signed on to appear in the new Robocop film:

QuoteMichael Keaton has been set to play the role of Raymond Sellars in the MGM/Columbia Pictures' RoboCop remake. Sellars is the CEO of the corporation that builds RoboCop, a role that Hugh Laurie was expected to play until he dropped out before consummating a deal. The film, a re-imagining of the 1987 Paul Verhoeven cult classic, is scheduled to begin shooting next month. RoboCop will be released on August 9, 2013.

Keaton joins previously announced Joel Kinnaman, Gary Oldman, Samuel L. Jackson and Abbie Cornish in the Jose Padilha-directed film.

"Michael is the final addition to the amazing cast we have assembled for this film and it is so great to have the last puzzle piece in place. It is thrilling that everything has come together to bring this innovative new vision of RoboCop to life. We've got a great script, a great cast, some killer ED-209's and I can't wait to get Alex Murphy back on the streets," said Padilha.

It's good to see Keaton back in a mainstream film. He's repped by ICM Partners.
http://www.deadline.com/2012/08/michael-keaton-joins-robocop-remake/

I'm against remakes as a matter of principle. But I've got to admit, I'm quite eager to see this now.

I guess I'm mostly opposed to it because it's a reboot (and spare me the old "there's a difference between a 'reboot' and a 'remake' thing; if this thing lights up the box office, bet your ass there'll be a sequel and that makes this a reboot, period) as I think the old franchise still had life to it.

I recall three films (I enjoyed the first 2), a television series, and then a mini-series that seems to have been direct-to-bootleg: created on the cheap and at one time available on netflix streaming.  It was awful.

I would have liked to have seen a Robocop that existed as is, without telling the origin story again.