Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

Started by Edd Grayson, Wed, 21 May 2014, 18:08

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Fri,  8 Apr  2016, 18:10
It's often been observed that if Superman were to catch someone falling at high speed – as he's done many times in previous films and TV shows – he'd actually end up killing the person he's trying to save. I like the fact that when he catches Lois in BvS, he initially matches her rate of descent, then gradually slows to safely break her fall. It's the first time I've seen Superman catch someone like that in a movie or TV show.
Got to admit, I feel like doing a Superman feature, even though this is a Batman site. I'm not a Superman genius, like colors, but perhaps the angle of 'a Batman fan analyses Superman' could work. I really dig Cavill's version, even though Reeve and Cain are my childhood Supermen, especially Cain.

Im really getting erked by reading nothing but hate for this film. It's ok if you don't like it but "OMG Martha" is becoming another "They but Bat Nipples on the suit" I watched it a second time and I liked it more than the fist (I whole heartily admit this has editing/story issues) so knowing whats going on makes watching it a bit easier to comprehend.

Do you think once it's been out for a few years people will warm up to it? Do you think part of the problem is (on the Batman side) that this was too close to the Dark Knight series?

Quote from: eledoremassis02 on Wed, 13 Apr  2016, 01:56
Im really getting erked by reading nothing but hate for this film. It's ok if you don't like it but "OMG Martha" is becoming another "They but Bat Nipples on the suit" I watched it a second time and I liked it more than the fist (I whole heartily admit this has editing/story issues) so knowing whats going on makes watching it a bit easier to comprehend.

Do you think once it's been out for a few years people will warm up to it? Do you think part of the problem is (on the Batman side) that this was too close to the Dark Knight series?

Internet memes are so stupid, it's the death of humor - though the other one about "what was Batman doing during the Doomsday battle" is kind of funny, because it's true.

I don't want to come off as the world's biggest BvS 'apologist', but I didn't find the Martha sequence cringe worthy like others. Batman's very being is tied up in his parent's murder. It's one of the few things to stop him in his tracks. Tower of Babel for example, has Ras using his dead parents as a lure to distract Batman. And it works. He basically puts everything on hold to fight for their memory. Deep down, he's still that little boy looking to avenge an injustice.

I do think the Martha moment could've been handled better. My issue with the scene is Superman didn't try to mention her again after he was interrupted when trying to reason with Batman. It took until Batman was ready to put him down for Superman to say something. It might've deprived us from having the fight between the two, but still, the setting leading up to that moment does feel awkward to me.

That being said, I had no issues with Batman being caught off guard by the Martha line. As TDK said, it's his mother's name, and listening to Superman pleading "save Martha" makes Batman realise somebody else is in danger, and puts it together that he had been manipulated by Lex all along. In Batman's mind, he knows he was powerless to help his mother, but now he can do something to stop scumbags from taking another parent away from somebody else. The name was a sentimental link to get him and Superman to join forces.

Critics will try to argue Batman was "schizophrenic" and "gullible". I disagree. Batman let his paranoia over what if Superman could go rogue got the better of him. His planning to undermine Superman in case that even would happen was a part of his personality trait, (and his constant planning for the worst case scenario extends in the comics too) and it's that character flaw that made him blindsided by Luthor.

Besides, it's easy to make fun of things and put them into an internet meme. Someone should make a meme of how Two-Face began his killing spree in TDK, and see how the fanboys like them apples!

AARON ECKHART
You asshole, why did you kill my girlfriend?

HEATH LEDGER
I'm an agent of chaos. I just do things.

AARON ECKHART
Wow, that's some sophisticated characterization there. As soon as I get out of these surprisingly strong bandages, I'm going to kill you!

HEATH LEDGER
Look, you don't want to kill me for murdering her. You want to kill everyone else for failing to stop me from murdering her!

AARON ECKHART
That doesn't make any sense at all.

HEATH LEDGER
And yet, it's going to be your main character motivation for the rest of the movie. Now make with the murder, Sir Skins-A-Lot.

http://www.the-editing-room.com/thedarkknight.html
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Fri, 15 Apr 2016, 12:18 #225 Last Edit: Fri, 15 Apr 2016, 12:24 by The Laughing Fish
So according to Box Office Mojo, the film has grossed $800 million. This either means the film has broken even...or it still needs another $125 million to achieve it. I have no idea. :-\

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=superman2015.htm

Meanwhile, I gotta give a shout out to TDK's new analysis of Superman's struggle in the film, and how it relates to the common man getting unnoticed and unappreciated for their efforts in real life. Nice write-up mate, well done!

http://www.batman-online.com/features/2016/4/14/superman-one-of-us#sthash.iKSrogML.dpbs
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

You know, I had such mixed reactions after I walked out of BvS. Not because I disliked the film - I loved it and still do. But I felt hollow at the same time that this product was getting ripped apart and parodied. I felt so bad for the creative team who put their blood, sweat and tears into it. It deserves so much better, and they'll come out thinking they failed. It hurts more because these are my characters. The Marvel films are good - okay, so don't go there. But Batman and Superman are my childhood. They're my homeboys, and this means a lot. This means more to me. Basically, the second half of the Day of the Dead BvS soundtrack is how I felt. That the product is apparently close to death before it even started, and the rest of the films are at risk - from my point of view needlessly so. I wish people could see the film and the world like I do. But that's life.

I totally get what you're saying. I share a similar opinion regarding Marvel and DC. I may love what Marvel's done to date, but I've always been more dedicated to DC. I wouldn't be worried about the DCEU being scrapped altogether. If they wanted to scrap their plans, WB/DC would've done so by now. Instead, they have confirmed Batfleck will star and direct the solo movie, they even added two more movies to their plans, WW and JL filming is underway, Suicide Squad will be out soon. I don't see the sky falling at all.

I may have had my share of misgivings with BvS's plot at times, but it still leaves me looking for what's more to come. Unlike some "critically acclaimed" films out there that had brutally underwhelming endings, this one left me feeling good and hopeful.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat, 16 Apr  2016, 05:34
I wouldn't be worried about the DCEU being scrapped altogether. If they wanted to scrap their plans, WB/DC would've done so by now. Instead, they have confirmed Batfleck will star and direct the solo movie, they even added two more movies to their plans, WW and JL filming is underway, Suicide Squad will be out soon. I don't see the sky falling at all.
I know, but it's more about the perception.

Make no mistake, the people who say they really, really hoped BvS was 'better' are relishing this. It's very much personal and competitive. Otherwise you wouldn't see outright mocking and laughter. They're a bunch of c**** and internet friendships will be, and I'd say have been, altered because of this. I'm not joking either. People's true colours have been shown.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 17 Apr  2016, 03:26
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat, 16 Apr  2016, 05:34
I wouldn't be worried about the DCEU being scrapped altogether. If they wanted to scrap their plans, WB/DC would've done so by now. Instead, they have confirmed Batfleck will star and direct the solo movie, they even added two more movies to their plans, WW and JL filming is underway, Suicide Squad will be out soon. I don't see the sky falling at all.
I know, but it's more about the perception.

Make no mistake, the people who say they really, really hoped BvS was 'better' are relishing this. It's very much personal and competitive. Otherwise you wouldn't see outright mocking and laughter. They're a bunch of c**** and internet friendships will be, and I'd say have been, altered because of this. I'm not joking either. People's true colours have been shown.

It's bordering on childish, neener neener neener sh*t. Actually in a lot of cases it's gone there.