Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

Started by Edd Grayson, Wed, 21 May 2014, 18:08

Previous topic - Next topic
You Europeans mostly don't get it but we Americans are rather easily charmed by a London accent. If someone speaks with a sufficiently English accent, we ascribe all manner or grace, class and intelligence. Cavill can just smile and say "Thank you", and most Americans hearts will melt. "Look at how DIGNIFIED he is!"

And yes, I'm as vulnerable to that as any other American.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 31 Mar  2016, 12:56
You Europeans mostly don't get it but we Americans are rather easily charmed by a London accent. If someone speaks with a sufficiently English accent, we ascribe all manner or grace, class and intelligence. Cavill can just smile and say "Thank you", and most Americans hearts will melt. "Look at how DIGNIFIED he is!"

And yes, I'm as vulnerable to that as any other American.
We've lucky to have Cavill. I consider him Reeve's true successor. Really eager to see his return in Justice League. And also, I think it's important to say this Superman isn't necessarily 'dark' or even 'emo', it's basically that he's a good person navigating a dark, cynical world. There's a big difference. And I dig it.

The main problem with Rotten tomatoes is that it's graded on a pass/fail basis and we all know that it's not that simple. Still I'm glad that there's the discrepancy between fan reaction and critics, critics need to be called out for their reviews, it's been well known for far too long that they rate movies based on agendas rather than entertainment factor.

Fan reaction is positive, the box office so far is successful, hopefully DVD/blu ray sales will boom as well so the critics can stick it.

If all goes according to plan, I should finally be seeing this tomorrow. Based on the wide range of reactions, I've no idea what to expect. I'm going in with an open mind and no concrete expectations.

I'm looking forward to it, but at the same time I'm apprehensive. I've been keeping a close eye on about half a dozen or so message boards since the film came out, and everyone everywhere seems to be upset about it. Either they're upset because they liked it and everyone else doesn't, or they're upset because they didn't like it and everyone else does.

Meanwhile I've been enjoying a sensation of neutrality from not having an opinion. This must be what it feels like to be Portugal. But tomorrow, all that will change. :-X

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat,  2 Apr  2016, 12:27
If all goes according to plan, I should finally be seeing this tomorrow. Based on the wide range of reactions, I've no idea what to expect. I'm going in with an open mind and no concrete expectations.

I'm looking forward to it, but at the same time I'm apprehensive. I've been keeping a close eye on about half a dozen or so message boards since the film came out, and everyone everywhere seems to be upset about it. Either they're upset because they liked it and everyone else doesn't, or they're upset because they didn't like it and everyone else does.

Meanwhile I've been enjoying a sensation of neutrality from not having an opinion. This must be what it feels like to be Portugal. But tomorrow, all that will change. :-X
I'm in a similar boat to you, but that's possibly down to me being half-Portuguese. [giveup]  ;)
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I will either be your strongest ally or your worst enemy, Silver. Hopefully you like the movie.  :-\

The Hollywood Reporter:
Warner Bros. Mulls Releasing Fewer Films as 'Batman v. Superman' Stalls

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/warner-bros-mulls-releasing-films-881265

That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Wed,  6 Apr  2016, 15:42
The Hollywood Reporter:
Warner Bros. Mulls Releasing Fewer Films as 'Batman v. Superman' Stalls

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/warner-bros-mulls-releasing-films-881265
Perhaps if they rebooted and made better/more popular films they could proceed with their initial release plans.  It would of course mean ensuring that Snyder, Goyer and Eisenberg were never let near the franchise ever again.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Wed, 6 Apr 2016, 17:28 #199 Last Edit: Wed, 6 Apr 2016, 18:46 by Silver Nemesis
Quote from: BatmAngelus on Wed,  6 Apr  2016, 16:41
Along similar lines:
http://www.ibtimes.com/batman-v-superman-tanks-china-box-office-dc-movies-lose-ground-marvel-2348128

It could end up with a smaller Chinese gross than Ant-Man (2015), the film Snyder dismissed as a "flavour of the month". China is currently the biggest overseas market. It's the key territory if a film wants to join the $1 billion club. Unfortunately BvS just didn't resonate with their audiences. It opened strong, but experienced a sharp OW Sat-Sun drop and lost over 70% of its screens to local releases by the end of its first week. It's also seen dramatic drops here in the UK and in several other key markets.

Even with all my pre-release reservations about this film, I honestly thought $1 billion worldwide was a lock. I never dreamed it would underperform like this. I think Warner Bros was at least hoping for around $400-500 million domestic + $700-800 million overseas. That would've yielded a final WW cume of about $1.1 to 1.3 billion, which would've placed it in the Iron Man 3 (2013) range.

Instead it looks like it's going to crawl to about $800 million WW. Maybe $850 million. And that's with absolutely zero competition at the box office. It should just about break even, and with streaming revenues, merchandise and promotional tie-ins, they should make a profit. But it's not going to be anywhere near what they were hoping for.

I'm definitely expecting WB to announce some changes to their line-up of DC movies. I just can't see them pushing ahead with the Cyborg solo film if the combined appeal of Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman can't bring in the big dollars. And by "big dollars" I mean the kind of money Furious 7, Jurassic World and The Avengers movies have been reaping.