Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

Started by Edd Grayson, Wed, 21 May 2014, 18:08

Previous topic - Next topic
I was referring to how the movie will fare in future weekends, more than the drop during the opening weekend. We'll just have to see.

QuoteGee, you'd almost think this past Sunday was a major religious holiday or something.
This is addressed in the article:
QuoteYou might be thinking that Sunday was the Easter holiday, which could account for the big Sunday drop. But that still wouldn't explain the Friday-to-Saturday decline of 38%, which was the second worst opening Friday-to-Saturday drop  in the annals of superhero releases, after a 40% dip for The Dark Knight Rises.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/robcain/2016/03/28/batman-v-superman-sets-record-with-worst-friday-sunday-drop-for-superhero-pics/#2d22004a6d72
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Quote from: Slash Man on Tue, 29 Mar  2016, 03:57
I'm still trying to process how we even came to this train wreck.
BvS is only a trainwreck if you go by the critics, and some fans who are hung up certain details.

What's funny is after the 2nd time I checked out BvS, me and a friend went to a local Hastings store and spoke to some of the guys who are comic book readers that we often socialize with, and I asked if they had seen BvS. They did and loved it. Though one of the guys said he was getting annoyed at his showing due to some kid sitting behind him continually saying, "Batman doesn't use guns! Batman doesn't kill!", to which I responded by saying, "I suppose the poor boy never read those early Kane/Finger issues did he?" He responded with "Exactly!". We went on to talk about Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Flash, ect.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Tue, 29 Mar  2016, 04:33I was referring to how the movie will fare in future weekends, more than the drop during the opening weekend. We'll just have to see.

QuoteGee, you'd almost think this past Sunday was a major religious holiday or something.
This is addressed in the article:
QuoteYou might be thinking that Sunday was the Easter holiday, which could account for the big Sunday drop. But that still wouldn't explain the Friday-to-Saturday decline of 38%, which was the second worst opening Friday-to-Saturday drop  in the annals of superhero releases, after a 40% dip for The Dark Knight Rises.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/robcain/2016/03/28/batman-v-superman-sets-record-with-worst-friday-sunday-drop-for-superhero-pics/#2d22004a6d72
I was unclear. Forgive me. What I'm saying is I don't buy that. Maybe next week BvS's numbers will be absolutely in the toilet and it will turn out this article was spot on. But I simply find their analysis not believable. Luckily I or the writer will soon be proven right.

Hopefully that makes more sense than the brief post I dashed off before.

Tue, 29 Mar 2016, 12:24 #164 Last Edit: Tue, 29 Mar 2016, 12:26 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: The Joker on Tue, 29 Mar  2016, 04:46

What's funny is after the 2nd time I checked out BvS, me and a friend went to a local Hastings store and spoke to some of the guys who are comic book readers that we often socialize with, and I asked if they had seen BvS. They did and loved it. Though one of the guys said he was getting annoyed at his showing due to some kid sitting behind him continually saying, "Batman doesn't use guns! Batman doesn't kill!", to which I responded by saying, "I suppose the poor boy never read those early Kane/Finger issues did he?" He responded with "Exactly!". We went on to talk about Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Flash, ect.
Smart people. Affleckman's 20 year career fighting crime really does set everything into context. He's desensitised and there's no end in sight. Criminals are nothing but weeds to him. I think he says as much during the movie. Plus, we even get a line from Affleckman, spoken to Alfred, saying that he and Alfred have always been criminals - the exact sentiment expressed in TDK Returns. He knows he's a vigilante breaking the law every night. Offing a bunch of goons isn't going to alter that perception any more or less, when you really get down to it.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 29 Mar  2016, 12:24
Quote from: The Joker on Tue, 29 Mar  2016, 04:46

Smart people. Affleckman's 20 year career fighting crime really does set everything into context. He's desensitised and there's no end in sight. Criminals are nothing but weeds to him. I think he says as much during the movie. Plus, we even get a line from Affleckman, spoken to Alfred, saying that he and Alfred have always been criminals - the exact sentiment expressed in TDK Returns. He knows he's a vigilante breaking the law every night. Offing a bunch of goons isn't going to alter that perception any more or less, when you really get down to it.

Pull out a weed and another grows in its place. Unlike Baleman, Batfleck realizes he will never win the war on crime. I think this conversation is a good prelude to why Batman wants to form a justice league; he knows he's only one man and can't fight forever. He also knows that with meta humans and aliens present on earth, the stakes have been raised.

I wouldn't say there is a huge gap between fans and critics. Complaints and praises I've seen from both camps are not that far apart.

Quote from: Paul (ral) on Tue, 29 Mar  2016, 14:45
I wouldn't say there is a huge gap between fans and critics. Complaints and praises I've seen from both camps are not that far apart.
Does this mean 71% of fans hate it too?
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I wouldn't go that far. I'd say it's pretty 50/50 among fans, which matches the RT critic score since the average grade rating is 5/10 there. Hell, among my social circle alone, my friend (who saw it with me) and I felt mixed about it, two of my other friends really liked it, and two of my other friends hated it. Not saying we represent the whole world, but that's just an example of how divisive it is.

When are you planning to see it, Johnny?
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Tue, 29 Mar  2016, 04:33I was referring to how the movie will fare in future weekends, more than the drop during the opening weekend. We'll just have to see.
Apparently today was a record setting (for a Monday). $15 million. I still think it's possible that the Easter Hypothesis is valid. As you say, wait and see... but today is an encouraging sign.