Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

Started by Edd Grayson, Wed, 21 May 2014, 18:08

Previous topic - Next topic
I just watched the last trailer and Batman still seems to be using that bloody awful fighting style known as the KFM on typical thugs. So yeah, a total Nolan love letter it seems. Give me a Dave Lea choreography any day. Sure it may be "dance-like" Ra's Al Ghul but you know something? It was bloody exciting stuff. Who can forget that absolutely vicious looking Batman Returns headbutt?

I don't get the sense anymore of Batman being built up in his mysterious, ghostly entrances that Burton AND Schumacher had a knack for. He seems to drop down faster than a cannon ball from above and start punching out KFM constantly. He moves that fast my own mother is frustrated by what she calls the "crap fighting she cannot see". So fast there seems no need for that bloody costume in the first place. Why not just a black ski mask? Would it really make a difference? What happened to the vampiric, operatic cape expressions he used to do? We haven't seen one in a while. Why not pause all the punching action to work a bit of that back in again for some variety.

Well, I have to say, while I'm still excited for the Batman side of things, my expectations are now in check on the whole.

I must say I am disappointed in what I've seen of this movie. Maybe I'll rent it. I can't say I'm surprised though because I didn't like Man of Steel.

And I really don't like the way Affleck looks in the Batsuit. I don't like the suit at all. And I don't like the new Joker either. Or the fight scenes. Where is the mystery and fright to Batman these days? :(

Quote from: JokerMeThis on Wed, 23 Mar  2016, 04:33
And I really don't like the way Affleck looks in the Batsuit. I don't like the suit at all.
Really?

What's not to like in that department?

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Tue, 22 Mar  2016, 17:15
Regardless, the tradition of a film version of Lex Luthor being over the top and occasionally silly continues. Do not expect a DCAU-style Lex Luthor.

*sigh*

Someday.

Oh well, looking forward to Cavill, Affleck, Gadot, Adams, Irons, ect.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Give the rights to Marvel!  ;D

Seriously, since the MCU began in 2008 they have consistently turned out movies that are fun and engaging, rather than drenched in earnest portentousness.

At the moment BvS stands at 34% on Rotten Tomatoes.  I honestly hope it will go higher because it's still reasonably early days, but it's just as likely that subsequent reviews maintain the current consensus.  It's thus highly possible that this will be the second-lowest rated Batman film after Batman & Robin (yes, even lower than Batman Forever).  :-\

Hopefully, Civil War can revive the comic-book movie genre's prospects, and I still have high, albeit guarded, hopes for Suicide Squad, but this was meant to be the BIG ONE, and if it does fail (not necessarily at the box-office where it is expected to still clean-up, on advance bookings alone), but in terms of audience reaction and enthusiasm, it could mean that Spielberg's words about comic-book movies being merely a fad are sadly closer than we thought.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I'm seeing a lot of angry reactions to the RT score, with people (who haven't seen the film yet) saying that the critics are biased towards Marvel, biased against Snyder, biased towards Donner's Superman, or wanted the film to fail from the beginning.

Sadly, very few reactions have considered the possibility that it's just not that great of a movie.

I predict that the film will definitely make money and Snyder will remain onboard for the Justice League, but the reception from fans and critics alike will be just as mixed as Man of Steel. I will be very interested to see Suicide Squad and check out a DC film without Snyder's involvement (or this version of Superman).

In the meantime, I'll be posting some more specific praises on this take on Batman in the spoiler thread. I won't give away major plot points, but I'll post for the curious and to lighten the mood that there are good things about this movie.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

If the movie is controversial, it's going to make for lively debate. So in that regard, I can't wait for the differing opinions flying around.

But 34% on RT? Surely it can't be that bad?

Quote from: Cobblepot4Mayor on Tue, 22 Mar  2016, 22:31
I just watched the last trailer and Batman still seems to be using that bloody awful fighting style known as the KFM on typical thugs. So yeah, a total Nolan love letter it seems. Give me a Dave Lea choreography any day. Sure it may be "dance-like" Ra's Al Ghul but you know something? It was bloody exciting stuff. Who can forget that absolutely vicious looking Batman Returns headbutt?

While I can't say I've seen the film yet, I really don't see how those snippets of Batman fighting those crooks in that trailer resembled anything like Nolan's incoherent choreography.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed, 23 Mar  2016, 11:46
Quote from: Cobblepot4Mayor on Tue, 22 Mar  2016, 22:31

While I can't say I've seen the film yet, I really don't see how those snippets of Batman fighting those crooks in that trailer resembled anything like Nolan's incoherent choreography.
Neither. It's night and day, so I don't understand those comments at all.