Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

Started by Edd Grayson, Wed, 21 May 2014, 18:08

Previous topic - Next topic
I believe the embargo on reviews ends tonight. We should be seeing the early reviews pour in within the next few hours, which means we'll need to be extra vigilant of spoilers.

It ends tomorrow around 3pm. So tomorrow afternoon.

Y'all will see me on the news if this gets spoiled for me before I get to see it.

How are everyone's hype levels right now?

Tue, 22 Mar 2016, 08:35 #75 Last Edit: Tue, 22 Mar 2016, 08:38 by BatmAngelus
I went to the fan preview screening tonight.

No spoilers, but my general thoughts-
Ben Affleck has unseated Michael Keaton as my favorite Bruce Wayne/Batman. I really wish that we had a Batman trilogy with him and Jeremy Irons before this, or at least, one film before this one, as he exemplifies so many aspects of the character and it would've worked even better if we had spent time with him before MoS. Loved his Wayne. Loved his Batman. There's only one aspect about this Batman that I know purists won't be crazy about and I'll save discussing that for the spoiler thread.

Gal Gadot is also a solid Wonder Woman. I look forward to seeing these two in their solo movies and the Justice League.

That said...all the Superman and other JL foreshadowing aspects of the film were a mess to me. Henry Cavill does what he can, but Snyder still has difficulty making me care and feel for his version of Clark/Superman and Lois, which was my criticism of MoS, too. This gradually improved in the second half of the film, but after all of MoS and half of BvS, it felt too little too late. The Knightmare sequence that's been teased in the trailer feels jarring and out of place. Eisenberg's Luthor is given a drastically different personality than what we're used to, but I couldn't help but feel he paled in comparison to the past Luthors.

I'll give Batman & Wonder Woman's part of the movie an A. Superman's? An improvement over Man of Steel, but still, I'd give his parts a C+.

I'm down for seeing Bats and Wondy again and I'll see Superman with them in the Justice League. But when it comes to solo Superman movies from Snyder? I'm just not interested anymore.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Tue, 22 Mar  2016, 08:35
Ben Affleck has unseated Michael Keaton as my favorite Bruce Wayne/Batman. I really wish that we had a Batman trilogy with him and Jeremy Irons before this, or at least, one film before this one, as he exemplifies so many aspects of the character and it would've worked even better if we had spent time with him before MoS. Loved his Wayne. Loved his Batman. There's only one aspect about this Batman that I know purists won't be crazy about and I'll save discussing that for the spoiler thread.

Really? He's THAT good?  :o

Would you give the movie as a whole a B-?
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

It's a combination of the characterization in the script and Affleck being able to portray the many aspects of Bruce's personality. There's the drunk playboy/womanizer act, the businessman executive running a company, the detective, the fighter/the warrior, the paranoia around Superman, the cynicism and weariness...Not to mention that physically, he's more of a match for the comic book Bruce Wayne than any of the previous actors and he's wearing the most comic book accurate Batsuit to date in a WB film. Affleck absolutely proved the doubters wrong and I'm glad that he's gonna be the one in the cape and cowl for years to come.

B- is probably a good indicator of my feelings.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Very interesting BatmAngelus, thnks for the review! :)

This bitch is STILL psyched!

Sounds awesome to me. I suspect Affleck will be my favourite Batman as well.

This is the most excited I've probably ever been to see a movie. I still have three days to wait.