Ghostbusters trailer *Brand New* (2016)

Started by Grissom, Thu, 3 Mar 2016, 14:14

Previous topic - Next topic
That's what I was going to say, only in a lot less words, lol. Basically I was going to say "What were they supposed to say on their opening weekend? 'We f***ing blew that one!'?" Give it time.

Classic studio spin.

It's not anywhere near breaking even, according to Feig, something like $500 million would be necessary (was the massive marketing campaign factored into this?), China's box office is completely out, and here we are with an announcement for a sequel? Sure, Sony is very proficient in burning money and coming up with unproductive ideas, but an announcement like that, especially in this moment in time, is pure poppycock.

Reminds me of Fox saying, "Hey! A sequel could happen!" right after Fan4stic completely bombed. Then wouldn't ya know it, a few months later, their planned Fan4stic sequel was quietly erased from their upcoming release schedule. A shocking turn of events to pretty much no one.

Spin it around like a record, Sony. Right round, round, round.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I predicted this sequel 'confirmation' back in my 'five stages of failure' post a fortnight ago. All is proceeding as I have foreseen.

It's hilarious seeing various news outlets try and put a positive spin on the numbers, describing them as 'solid' and 'respectable'. The actuals should be in later today and we'll see if they tally with the predictions. But even if they do, these are weak opening figures. It debuted in three major overseas territories and only nabbed $19.1 million. And the UK's opening weekend was in fact a 7-day total, as the film was released over here on July 11th. So by 'opening weekend' they actually mean 'opening week'.

That brings the global total up to $65.1 million. Great. So only another $434.9 million left to go and Sony is out of the red.

YouTube reviewer Comic Book Girl 19 has made an excellent video about the reboot. She gives her own thoughts on the movie and chronicles how Sony created a gender war to demonise the remake's critics and get the media on their side. Well worth watching.

Richard Roeper, seen in this video discussing the backlash to his review, has now written an article on the subject. It seems his negative appraisal of the film incurred the wrath of male feminists who've since been hounding him on Twitter. It's a shame, because he was one of the few critics who actually reviewed the content of the film rather than the furore surrounding it. As he says in the article:

Quote"I review the movie.

Not the personal lives of the filmmakers and the actors. Not the track record of the parties involved. Not the buzz about casting or the trailer.

The. Movie."
http://chicago.suntimes.com/entertainment/ghostbusters-hater-roeper-ive-had-a-dose-of-some-freaky-posts/

Here are a couple more reviews from hateful misogynists who clearly care naught for equality:

I'll skip over watching the reviews posted for now. 10 years from now it'll be remembered based on how good of a film it is rather than how it was marketed. Critics and Web Critics have an agenda so honesty and objectivity can take a back seat. So far the few people i know who have seen it said they enjoy it; nobody is calling it great but enjoyable. On the IMDB it started out around 3.6 but has risen to 5.1 so once you get past the initial haters (or defenders) it does seem people are enjoying the film itself.

I'm probably going tomorrow night. The plan will be for me to ignore everything but the movie itself. We'll never get a ghostbusters III with the original cast, I accept that so I'll try and look at the film as its own entity.

Ok two thoughts that have nothing to do with anything relevant.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Mon, 18 Jul  2016, 16:15
I predicted this sequel 'confirmation' back in my 'five stages of failure' post a fortnight ago. All is proceeding as I have foreseen.

I had always heard fortnight from my friends on that side of the pond, never knew how long it was. Finally googled it cause of this, lol.

YouTube reviewer Comic Book Girl 19 has made an excellent video about the reboot. She gives her own thoughts on the movie and chronicles how Sony created a gender war to demonise the remake's critics and get the media on their side. Well worth watching.

I'm totally going to adopt this style. Freaking adorable.

The official number is in: $46,018,755 opening weekend.

That's closer to the best case scenario for Girlbusters' opening weekend... but still pretty far short of where it needed to be. Had the movie opened at $85'ish million, it would have a more solid foundation to work from. Combine that with a lackluster international reception (at least so far) and I think it's safe to say this movie is in danger. It won't be a repeat of Pluto Nash but it won't make a profit either.

The studio made this about a lot more than the movie. There's a media narrative forced onto this movie and that narrative is taking a serious hit right now.

QuoteI'm totally going to adopt this style. Freaking adorable.

She reminds me of a blond Kennedy. Do you know who Kennedy is?

Quote from: JokerMeThis on Tue, 19 Jul  2016, 03:31
QuoteI'm totally going to adopt this style. Freaking adorable.

She reminds me of a blond Kennedy. Do you know who Kennedy is?

Yup.

Saw the film last night, here is my review of it;

The 4 female leads were fairly good especially Kate McKinnon. Some people expected them all to be individual female clones of the male ghostbusters but they weren't, they were their own individual characters. Chris Hemsworth comes across as a pleasant surprise in the secretary role. It's hard to look at the film as its own entity without comparing it to what came before as the overall plot is similar and it does add many references. It is at least respectful to the source material and doesn't attempt to lampoon the former films. It definitely had its laughs but the humour seemed more forced.

Now the big elephant in the room was how were gender roles addressed? You can easily tell the target audience was females (both adults and children) which I didn't have a problem with. I half expected it to be extremely feminist and demeaning towards men with a bunch of misogynistic male characters acting demeaning to women but they didn't do that. There's antagonistic male and female characters so they didn't make gender much of an issue. They also didn't turn it into a chick flick which was good, Hemsworth's character is clearly portrayed as a dumb sex object but it's at least done in a humorous way. Females will probably like it more than males which is fine, I still enjoyed it for the most part and of course the original two films still exist. I'm sure in school yards boys and girls will argue which version is better so at the end of the day both sides have their own.

Where it definitely lacked was the main villain and his motives. Gozer, Zuul, and Vigo were all terrifying villains with clear aspirations. This time around it felt like more of a cheap rehash of the first film. The plot in general is the weakest of the three ghostbuster films. I liked how the first films incorporated paranormal psychology (aka parapsychology) as opposed to simply having a bunch of ghosts out there for the heroes to catch, this one didn't divulge much into paranormal psychology, possibly because the bad guy pulling all the strings is human for most of the film and using the paranormal as a means to power. Also the new title track from Fall Out Boy is awful but luckily we do get one short rendition of the Ray Parker classic.

Where it ended up better? The visuals are very impressive and the film used modern technology and 3D to its advantage. There were more  ghosts and ghost bustings than the original film, the ghostbusters also had more tools than the standard proton packs and traps. I will say it has the best end credits of any film I'd ever seen, it actually gave a reason to watch the entire credits instead of just sticking around to see if anything else came.

Final thoughts? Definitely not as good as the first two. It's a great theatre experience in 3d and I'd definitely recommend it but once it goes to home video and television, it might not be that re-watchable. I don't plan on purchasing it when it comes out, maybe in a few years I'll watch it again. I'd rate it 6.5/10

Honestly, I think I can describe my problems with this movie from the offset:
1. I don't like something being imposed on me. The all female ghostbusters idea felt like that was it. It felt like it was done to fuel some agenda.
2. Ghostbusters being remade with this agenda, instead of a sequel.
3. I don't like any of these female comedians. Not that I dislike them. But I've never seen anything they've been in as mainstream comedians. Get Amy Poehler and Rashida Jones up in there and you've got me, maybe even Ellie Kemper and Zooey Deschanel. Not this group. I don't even know who half of them are. I don't watch current Saturday Night Live. Personally I think it's lame. I've only watched old school SNL.
4. The trailer really felt indicative of the kind of comedy that is around today, loud, annoying, in your face comedy. I liked one actress in the trailer and it was the only other actress that I had never seen before, who I've since learned is someone named Kate Mckinnon, who seemed to be the most subtle thing in the trailer, next the Chris Hemsworth and that's because he barely appears in it. With more thought put into it, I realized that I thought the characters were too stereotyped and came off as even kind of silly best in their field type characters, which goes against the losers underdog vibe that the original had. Have a very great day!

God bless you all!