Doctor Sleep (2019) Sequel to The Shining

Started by The Joker, Thu, 13 Jun 2019, 19:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Trailer:

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I don't need this movie. But I must admit that I am intrigued.

It is true that a lot of us have a shaky history with movies where Ewan McGregor plays a magical, telekinetic guy who mentors a child. But this movie looks interesting. I don't expect this to be a Kubrick movie. I'll settle for genuine suspense. The Shining is all about mood, atmosphere and suspense rather than fake jump scares and judging by the trailer, the people involved seem like they might understand that.

Truth be told, I am actually somewhat surprised the film is acknowledging the continuity of Kubrick's version at all. Especially considering, King himself has consistently acted like a complete c*nt towards Kubrick's film for what? Decades now? Knowing him, I wouldn't have been surprised if he had made the demand that Doctor Sleep acknowledge that mini-series from the 1990's that no one remembers (and for good reason), since it was more aligned with his novel. But here we are, and it appears, going off the trailer, we might actually have a flashback scene where we see what happened when Danny wandered into room 237 from Kubrick's Shining.   

Like I said, surprised, but pleasantly surprised. Much like the film adaptation of JAWS, Kubrick's Shining is a film that has proven to be much more interesting and enduring than even the novel itself. Which doesn't happen a whole lot. Perhaps, Stephen King has begrudgingly accepted that by now.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Something I saw on instagram I liked.

And I thought this was a pretty well done video going over details in the teaser trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG4QYEQOCt4&list=LL2E_KOhE1_wJT8fltjHkXsA&index=2&t=334s

Final Trailer:

Wow, So hmm. If ever there was a case of "less is more", this is it. Seems like this will be a Hero(es) Vs. Villain(s) fairy tale struggle or something.

Y'know, everything the original wasn't.

Idk, my enthusiasm just took a pretty serious dive.

Given the material from the book, the trailers, and the official description of the film adaptation, expecting a absolute duplication of Kubrick would be misguided.

QuoteStill irrevocably scarred by the trauma he endured as a child at the Overlook, Dan Torrance has fought to find some semblance of peace.  But that peace is shattered when he encounters Abra, a courageous teenager with her own powerful extrasensory gift, known as the "shine."  Instinctively recognizing that Dan shares her power, Abra has sought him out, desperate for his help against the merciless Rose the Hat and her followers, The True Knot, who feed off the shine of innocents in their quest for immortality.

Forming an unlikely alliance, Dan and Abra engage in a brutal life-or-death battle with Rose.  Abra's innocence and fearless embrace of her shine compel Dan to call upon his own powers as never beforeā€”at once facing his fears and reawakening the ghosts of the past.

I'm in. I consider the director, Mike Flanagan, to be one of the better genre directors working today, and Ewan McGregor looks well cast as an adult Danny. Going off the latest trailer, I'm guessing that the film, like the novel, begins not long after The Shining. We already know that Alex Essoe has been cast as Wendy Torrance, and Carl Lumbly as Dick Halloran. Jack Torrance? They've been quiet on that front, but given the book, don't be surprised. How Jack Torrance's re-appearance is handled is something I am very interested in seeing.

From what I understand, there's definitely going to be a number of flashbacks created to align with the Kubrick movie. Apparently the only thing which has been re-used from The Shining is the famous elevator/blood shot.

Yeah, given everything thus far, I think anyone not expecting DOCTOR SLEEP to be an aesthetic and stylistic carbon copy of Kubrick's film is far more likely to have their expectations met.

Latest posters.