Ghostbusters trailer *Brand New* (2016)

Started by Grissom, Thu, 3 Mar 2016, 14:14

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: johnnygobbs on Mon, 11 Jul  2016, 22:21
And having politely thanked you in my previous post, I am a tad disappointed that you decided to go on the offensive with me this time round.  I appreciated the relatively civil way you framed your last post.  I hope that you can continue to converse, and indeed argue, with me in a civil and non-accusatory way. :)

So it's okay for you to call thecolorsblend a "moron" over a political point of view back in the positive thoughts thread (which that portion of the thread has now been deleted), yet you hope he can debate in a civil manner? This is none of my business, but I just can't help myself from shaking my head at how hypocritical your comment is. Bloody hell.

Back on topic for Ghostbusters. Again, I'm neither for or against it if I can ignore the stupid "every skeptic is a misogynist" campaign perpetuated by certain aspects of the media for a moment, but I'm wary about the critical reviews. There can definitely be a bias going on among some critics. While I definitely won't say everyone who didn't like Man of Steel has an agenda against the movie and understand it's not everyone's cup of tea, I have seen a large portion of critics who reviewed the film by comparing it to Richard Donner's classic. For example, Red Reed was one critic who gave MOS a scathing review, but if you look at his background, you'll discover that he appeared as an extra in the 1978 film. Call it a bias, call it an agenda, call it whatever you want, but in my opinion, this is why you're better off taking a critic's word with a grain salt, and judge something for yourself.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Mon, 11 Jul  2016, 22:21And having politely thanked you in my previous post, I am a tad disappointed that you decided to go on the offensive with me this time round.  I appreciated the relatively civil way you framed your last post.  I hope that you can continue to converse, and indeed argue, with me in a civil and non-accusatory way. :)
My explanation for why I refuse to take your silly little bait constitutes "go[ing] on the offensive"? Golly, you really are a sensitive little flower, aren't you?

Protip: You've seen me openly disagree with you before. Usually it's because you started it. The post to which you're replying isn't me coming after you. It's me explaining why I'm NOT coming after you. Recognize.

Lol. Gotta love the sight of empty cinemas with this version of 'Ghostbusters' playing. A waste of electricity though. The apologists will defend this film out of 'girl power', but the real test will be at the box office. And judging by these types of Twitter posts, it's gonna be ugly.

just some food for thought;

with the extremists having an agenda (either hating it to the death or defending it to the death) I removed the IMDB ratings of 10 and 1 to calculate an average; 5.5 based on the 2-9 votes. So not as putrid of it's current rating of 3.7 but not good.

I'm hoping someone from here goes and sees it just so I can get a trusting opinion.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue, 12 Jul  2016, 00:50
Quote from: johnnygobbs on Mon, 11 Jul  2016, 23:58Unfortunately, too many people on either side of the conservative/misogynist and liberal/SJW debate seized upon the film via social media
You just refuse to blame Sony for this, don't you?
In what way does my post exonerate Sony?  Please stop reading things that aren't there.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 12 Jul  2016, 13:01but the real test will be at the box office
True, just like it was with BvS...
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Tue, 12 Jul  2016, 15:27
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 12 Jul  2016, 13:01but the real test will be at the box office
True, just like it was with BvS...

But as TLF and colors pointed out (my full of sh*t comment referenced it too) you did the same pre-release doomsdaying about it that you're calling out people for with this. It's just like you bitching about people discussing the UK's political affairs when you've stuck your stupid ignorant nose in the US's affairs repeatedly to the expense of several arguments and deleted topics. You're such a hypocrite it's insulting to other hypocrites. They need to create a new level of hypocrisy just to fit you in.

Honest question. Have you ever wondered why it seems like you're always in arguments on here, IMDb, etc.? It's not having a different opinion. It's being a pompous asshole, a broken record, annoying as a misplaced tampon, and such a hypocrite the pot and kettle melted down. You need to step back and recognize, boy, and straighten your sh*t out.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Tue, 12 Jul  2016, 15:24
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue, 12 Jul  2016, 00:50
Quote from: johnnygobbs on Mon, 11 Jul  2016, 23:58Unfortunately, too many people on either side of the conservative/misogynist and liberal/SJW debate seized upon the film via social media
You just refuse to blame Sony for this, don't you?
In what way does my post exonerate Sony?  Please stop reading things that aren't there.
Your comment placed all the burden upon partisan observers. This is in defiance of easily verified fact but there is no allowance made in your post that Sony's marketing engine is primarily responsible for creating this phony-baloney narrative of sexist trolls gunning for Girlbusters.

But I'll go ahead and play Devil's Advocate... with the proviso that very few people really believe this.

For argument's sake, let's say someone DOES oppose Girlbusters because it's made entirely up of women. Again, I doubt many people actually feel this way. But let's say there is someone who does. Or even several someones. Their distaste for the movie comes exclusively from resenting an all-female team.

So what?

There are any number of films and franchises all about the girl power. Hunger Games, Divergent, that Melissa McCarthy/Sandra Bullock movie from a few years ago, Salt, Lucy, Twilight and other stuff. Women also have TV shows like Supergirl, Agent Carter and so forth. Women are hardly lacking representation.

But even if they were, again, so freaking what?

Why is anybody obligated to support this movie just because it's all-female and dammit we're supposed to support everything women do? Why is it not okay for someone to say "Hey, I've got zero interest in seeing something that's all women"?

Women say stuff like that all the time. By and large, movies like the Expendables revolve around predominantly male audiences. It's no affront to men for women to say that movies like that aren't for them. Nobody calls that "misandry"; they simply recognize that some movies aren't likely to be popular with women. And that's okay.

Why is it then that male disinterest in an all-female movie (whether that disinterest is real or perceived) is inherently a negative thing and a smudge on that male's character? Why is he apparently not allowed to think Girlbusters is a completely retarded idea and refuse to see it without being called names?

Yup. Pretty much sums it all up.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."