Ghostbusters trailer *Brand New* (2016)

Started by Grissom, Thu, 3 Mar 2016, 14:14

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu,  7 Jul  2016, 04:36
Online sources say "Ghostbusters" is tracking for an opening weekend between $40 and $50 million in the US.

Time will tell, and very soon. But even if that figure bears out, that means "Ghostbusters" will top out, what, at $120 million in the US? Some percentage of those numbers will come from the morbidly curious... and that's business which won't last very long.

I might be wrong but I don't think this will be very pretty.
Any ideas how much this movie cost to make?

Wiki cites a budget of $154 million (source is the Hollywood Reporter). That tallies with what I've found elsewhere.

Did I mention that Girlbusters doesn't exactly have a clear field? It'll face new competition every weekend for the rest of the summer. Take a look at what's opening in the next few weeks. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_in_film

If the $40-$50 million opening weekend bears out, essentially Girlbusters must ultimately go on to triple that figure in order to pull its weight in the US. Good luck with that.

Yeah, to be honest, I've watched the Robocop remake a time or two on Blu ray since seeing it in the theater, and have since changed my mind somewhat on it. It's a decent film. I don't think it in any way made a lasting impression like that of the original, but it's certainly not terrible. I think the tired and boring all black armor was very much a fatal mistake in that "different to just be different" approach studios take with various degrees of success, but overall it's a decent enough take. To me, it's frustrating to an extent cause I think the Robocop remake had the opportunity to be something really exceptional, but again, it was always a uphill climb due to how straightforward the plot of the original was, along with all of the unique satire components added in by Verhoeven & crew, in addition to that film (the original Robocop) being rather tightly and smartly edited. The film didn't waste time. It continued to go forward, shaping the story, and all while giving time for the actor's to let their character's shine. Whenever I think of 1980's movies, Robocop and indeed, Ghostbusters do instantly come to mind.

With the upcoming opening weekend for Feig's "film", I'm thinking the 2nd weekend's box office is really going to tell us if this movie is going to be considered a success or not. Considering whatever the cost of this was, along with all the marketing that's been going on for awhile now, I really don't see the projected 40-50 million opening weekend being something Sony would consider fabulous (no matter the spin) considering it could very well drop like a stone the following weekend with all that morbid curiosity some may have being greatly diminished by that point in the game.

Speaking of '80's, I remember the 2009 reboot/remake of Friday the 13th had a very respectable opening weekend, to which I'm sure was alot cheaper to produce than Feig's "film", but with the following weekend, the Friday13th reboot/remake took a nose dive, and thus, despite talk, there never was a sequel.... Which we all know was most assuredly on the agenda.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I'm a Friday the 13th fan, I enjoyed the remake quite a bit (helps I'm a jared paledecki fan). I liked how it went back to the roots of Jason stalking teens in the woods rather than being an invincible super force (no body snatching, no going to space, no telekinesis). Other remakes I enjoyed include heat, father of the bride, the longest yard, and flight of the phoenix.

I remember the initial goal was to have a ghostbusters franchise become the MCU. I think it could have worked if they went about it better; the initial idea for the first time and plot used for the 2009 video game was to have ghostbusters stations around the nation as emergency services similar to police, fire departments, and paramedics. They could have made this work with different types of teams. The female ghostbusters isn't an awful idea but it was too big of a leap for the first modern film. Ideally they should have casted male leads for this one (basically make it a contemporary remake of the first two films) and go from there. They could have had different teams in different regions and eventually an Avengers style ghostbusters film. Sadly I don't see this happening as this film has too many bad things going against it- even if it isn't a flop it wont be a cash cow. 

Something of a buzz presently going on regarding an actual end credits surprise scene in the film. It sounds pretty big from those who have seen early previews. With cries of "stay till after the credits. People will be happy!" and someone (who appears to be a family relative of Paul Feig) announcing "Best...end credits...ever!!".

I had my own speculations about what it might feature, posted my thoughts up and less than a couple of hours later....it's been deleted. So I think I hit the nail on the head. I won't say what I wrote up but if you'd like me to illuminate?

Quote from: Cobblepot4Mayor on Fri,  8 Jul  2016, 00:06Something of a buzz presently going on regarding an actual end credits surprise scene in the film. It sounds pretty big from those who have seen early previews. With cries of "stay till after the credits. People will be happy!" and someone (who appears to be a family relative of Paul Feig) announcing "Best...end credits...ever!!".

I had my own speculations about what it might feature, posted my thoughts up and less than a couple of hours later....it's been deleted. So I think I hit the nail on the head. I won't say what I wrote up but if you'd like me to illuminate?
What has anybody said here to make you believe we're at all concerned about spoilers? Especially when any "spoiler" is absolute conjecture on your part?

Bill Murray doing a cameo is my guess, btw.

Quote from: Cobblepot4Mayor on Fri,  8 Jul  2016, 00:06
With cries of "stay till after the credits. People will be happy!" and someone (who appears to be a family relative of Paul Feig) announcing "Best...end credits...ever!!".

Is it because the ordeal is over and the audience get a refund?

Quote from: JokerMeThis on Wed,  6 Jul  2016, 23:56
My favorite remake (and also my favorite movie) is the 1959 version of Ben-Hur. The silent movie is great too but since I doubt many people today watch silent movies I wouldn't be surprised if many people don't realize it's a remake. And there's a new remake coming out soon.
Will you be catching the new remake of Ben-Hur JokerMeThis?
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu,  7 Jul  2016, 00:07
Quote from: johnnygobbs on Wed,  6 Jul  2016, 23:35What is everyone's favourite remake?
Dawn of the Dead comes to mind... but it's done in a way that if you want it to be not a remake but instead a parallel story of the original it can be. Or it can be a remake.

Probably the worst remake I've seen in the last ten years is Rob Zombie's Halloween. First, it doesn't need to be remade. But second, if it did, it deserved to be remade by someone who understood the original. Zombie proved he didn't GET Michael Myers. He's not human. He's literally the boogie man. He doesn't speak because he has fundamentally no humanity in him.
I particularly agree with you on these two.  Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead might not be as inspired as the 1970s original but it's still pretty damn entertaining, and apart from the 'zombies in a mall' premise, it's an entirely different film, with an entirely different set of characters and story to the original.

And you're right about the Halloween remake.  An absolutely ugly, atrocious, nasty movie, that replaces the genuine thrills of the original with grot.

Quote from: JokerMeThis on Thu,  7 Jul  2016, 00:18
I never saw the remake of Halloween and it sounds like that's a good thing. The original version is one of my favorite scary movies ever. It's a pretty intelligent and thought-provoking film. I even like some of the sequels. Mainly 4 and 5 because Danielle Harris was a brilliant child actress. I like Part 3 too but that's not about Michael Myers.
I have a soft spot for Halloween 3 too, although I think that's the one Halloween film that could benefit from a remake.  Such a great idea (centring around haunted children's Halloween masks) that would benefit from better execution.  They would have to keep the 'Silver Shamrock' theme though.