Ghostbusters trailer *Brand New* (2016)

Started by Grissom, Thu, 3 Mar 2016, 14:14

Previous topic - Next topic
I guess I'm not going to see this movie anyway. If it fails at the box office I'll feel bad for Kate McKinnon who I think is great. :(

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu, 10 Mar  2016, 18:40
If they were going to make a Ghostbusters 3, they should've done it in the early nineties. The last ship sailed when Ramis passed away.
That's the thing. It happens all the time - Dumb and Dumber To, being an example. They can even manage to wheel out the old gang and it still can't help but feel unnecessary. It just doesn't feel the same, because as you say, the ship has sailed with our without them. It was a moment in time, lightning in a bottle. It's hard to accept for movie studios, or some audiences, but it's true. The glory days are rarely, if ever, recaptured. It's better to fade away gracefully than to burn out.

Don't rule this film out just yet.  I'm watching a British weekly politics show at the moment on the BBC (don't worry I'm not going to bring up politics anywhere on this forum), and they've started the show by showing a trailer for the new reboot, and are using the reboot as an excuse to discuss 'women in politics'.  Plus, you know what they say about 'all publicity, including bad publicity, is good publicity'.  :-\

I'm not saying I'm all for this film (I'm not), but it's curious that this reboot is getting mass media attention from unlikely sources.  I also understand that the film's director, Paul Feig, will be one of the guests on next week's "Talking Dead", the post-"Walking Dead" discussion show.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I'm sure there was enough material to do another movie in the 90's. But it would be almost hypocritical to do it now; the rest didn't do it without Bill Murray, it would be a disresepect to Ramis to do it without him.

The video game is a good defacto sequel. It's not comparable to dumb and dumber to, Dumb and Dumber was basically lightning in a bottle which could not be re captured including the failed TV show, prequel, and sequel. Ghosbusters had successful cartoons and quite a bit of merchandising. There were clearly enough ideas for another movie.

I think it would have been fine if Janine were a ghostbuster (although Annie Potts is probably too old) but it's obvious they are feminizing it. The bottom line is they are turning it into something it's not. No different than making a bad boys 3 film with white actors; protesting it wouldn't be racism, it's complaining about altering the essence to appease a different audience.

This seems like a film that you have to either see from yourself or listen to trusted sources to decide if you like it or not as there'll be plenty of people with agendas chiming in. For instance on the IMDB I'm sure there'll be plenty of people voting 1 or 10 prior to even seeing it. Melissa McCarthy, Chris Hemsworth, and Kate McKinnon have enough talent to make it good and despite all the criticisms over the trailer, the visuals do look excellent.

It seems Sony has cancelled their plans for a male Ghostbusters movie following on from the all-female reboot: http://www.blastr.com/2016-3-21/ghostbusters-spinoff-russo-brothers-has-been-scrapped

Meanwhile the trailer for the new film has accumulated a total of 670,884 votes on YouTube; 197,149 positive, 473,735 negative. That translates into an audience rating of 29%. It's also currently the 23rd most disliked video on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLirAqAtl_h2o1ism1dr5SbvB8Mf7Ve6Aa

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Mon, 21 Mar  2016, 23:49
It seems Sony has cancelled their plans for a male Ghostbusters movie following on from the all-female reboot: http://www.blastr.com/2016-3-21/ghostbusters-spinoff-russo-brothers-has-been-scrapped

Meanwhile the trailer for the new film has accumulated a total of 670,884 votes on YouTube; 197,149 positive, 473,735 negative. That translates into an audience rating of 29%. It's also currently the 23rd most disliked video on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLirAqAtl_h2o1ism1dr5SbvB8Mf7Ve6Aa

It's the only movie trailer even on that list. I guess we'll see if bad press is good press

Quote from: riddler on Tue, 22 Mar  2016, 13:49
It's the only movie trailer even on that list. I guess we'll see if bad press is good press.
I fear that this extremely adverse reaction will be all chalked down to sexism.  But this would be a very self-defeating conclusion for anyone who has an interest in more female-led films because it will simply cause studios to 'learn' the wrong lessons and discourage them from making good female-led movies.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Tue, 22 Mar  2016, 13:54
Quote from: riddler on Tue, 22 Mar  2016, 13:49
It's the only movie trailer even on that list. I guess we'll see if bad press is good press.
I fear that this extremely adverse reaction will be all chalked down to sexism.  But this would be a very self-defeating conclusion for anyone who has an interest in more female-led films because it will simply cause studios to 'learn' the wrong lessons and discourage them from making good female-led movies.

With all the talk about sexism, I'm surprised nobody's floated the discussion about racism; early impressions are that Leslie Jones is playing the stereotypical angry black woman slapping everyone silly and referring to everyone as "damn fools".

Quote from: riddler on Wed, 23 Mar  2016, 20:15With all the talk about sexism, I'm surprised nobody's floated the discussion about racism; early impressions are that Leslie Jones is playing the stereotypical angry black woman slapping everyone silly and referring to everyone as "damn fools".
Indeed.  It's ironic that a reboot that is priding itself on being progressive is once again relegating the token black character to the non-scientist support.