Ghostbusters trailer *Brand New* (2016)

Started by Grissom, Thu, 3 Mar 2016, 14:14

Previous topic - Next topic
I don't know if you guys have heard about this but there are actually guys from Sony on Youtube at this very moment deliberately deleting negative feedback  ;D

And not just the appalling language put downs of the cast and crew (which I don't approve of myself) but the more than reasonable analysis of why many feel disappointed. How did Ghostbusters come to this eh? Completely pathetic stuff. God forbid if the world ever gets another "Hitler". Imagine the horror of what can be done with social media propaganda now if this is for a mere bloody film lol

I can't say I care about this movie based on what I know about it but I might choose to see it just because Kate McKinnon is in it. I'm a big fan of her work on Saturday Night Live and think she is one of the funniest people in this galaxy right now. If the movie is bad I still bet Kate will be awesome.

Quote from: Cobblepot4Mayor on Fri,  4 Mar  2016, 01:30
I don't know if you guys have heard about this but there are actually guys from Sony on Youtube at this very moment deliberately deleting negative feedback  ;D

And not just the appalling language put downs of the cast and crew (which I don't approve of myself) but the more than reasonable analysis of why many feel disappointed. How did Ghostbusters come to this eh? Completely pathetic stuff. God forbid if the world ever gets another "Hitler". Imagine the horror of what can be done with social media propaganda now if this is for a mere bloody film lol
Indeed.  God forbid...Are we so far from that scenario though?  :-X
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Fri,  4 Mar  2016, 01:59
Indeed.  God forbid...Are we so far from that scenario though?  :-X

Ironic you mention that here, in the ghostbusters video game (set in 1992), Vigo  the carpathian says "I see the evil of times to come. You will choose a king far more evil than myself to rule you. Twice" 

I already had a fairly low expectation and this trailer failed to even meet those.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Fri, 4 Mar 2016, 13:54 #15 Last Edit: Fri, 4 Mar 2016, 13:57 by The Dark Knight
I'm not a big Ghostbusters fan, so I'm truthfully not that emotionally invested. But yeah, this does follow a recent trend we're seeing with franchise media. Hijacking well known brands when new brands could be made instead. This seems like a politically correct version of Ghostbusters for the equality brigade. Like how all of a sudden James Bond has to be black, or Doctor Who must change sex or race to be relevant or edgy. 

Their loophole is anyone can be a Ghostbuster. But for me, it can't help but become Ghostbusters in name only. Or Bond/Doctor Who in name only. Mainly because we all know what came before. They were male roles. Here, it's Ghostbusters because we said so, and you, the viewing public better get on board with it. And if you don't, you're racist, sexist or homophobic. I really dislike it when gender games and politics creep into entertainment.

I'm all for females having leading roles, but I'm not a fan of hijacking existing media. Women and black actors are more than capable of carrying original roles and striking out on their own. For example, if the message is females can only be popular and strong willed if they play The Doctor, then I think that's rubbish.

If the film is basically a beat-for-beat remake of the original, I'm not sure I see the point of it. And if the film is poorly made, you're a dead duck anyway. Bottom line, I don't think we needed this film. Apart from the female cast, I don't see what's new or special about it. The original is always going to be revered, much like Robocop.

It just seems obvious that these characters are all stand in imitators for the original actors;
Melissa McCarthy and Kristen Wiig stand ins for Ray and Peter as the somewhat odd and funny ones who write books and are laughed at for claiming ghosts are real.
Kate MacKinnon standing in for Egon as the extremely quirky and intelligent engineer.
Leslie Jones standing in for Winston as the African American with relevant paranormal or technical experience or even prior relationship with the other 3 but merely being 'street smart' . I can see this role getting annoying as the typical black lady slapping everyone around calling them fools.
Chris Hemsworth standing in for Janine. This one's obvious, I'll be honest I'm actually interested to see how he does in this role, it's different than anything else he's done but while he's never done comedy, he's shown he can generate laughs if he wants to "I wish for another"
It seems the villain is standing in for Vigo going on possessing people including at least one ghostbuster.

It seems pretty obvious at this point they are just remaking the original with role reversals instead of creating actual new characters. It reminds me of the Ashton Kutcher/Bernie Mac remake of Guess who's coming to dinner.

Quote from: riddler on Fri,  4 Mar  2016, 15:28
It just seems obvious that these characters are all stand in imitators for the original actors;
Melissa McCarthy and Kristen Wiig stand ins for Ray and Peter as the somewhat odd and funny ones who write books and are laughed at for claiming ghosts are real.
Kate MacKinnon standing in for Egon as the extremely quirky and intelligent engineer.
Leslie Jones standing in for Winston as the African American with relevant paranormal or technical experience or even prior relationship with the other 3 but merely being 'street smart' . I can see this role getting annoying as the typical black lady slapping everyone around calling them fools.
I saw McKinnon more as the wise-cracking Venkman type (although she does somewhat physically resemble The Real Ghostbusters version of Spengler), and McCarthy as Stanz and Wiig as Spengler, since those two seem the more earnest of the group.

To be honest, there doesn't seem to be a proper Venkman stand-in, which is a shame.  I think Paul Feig was so intent on making the characters accomplished and inspiring lady scientists that he arguably took away from what made the original characters so much fun and likeable.  The original Ghostbusters often seemed like nutty eccentrics and charlatans, none of whom truly knew what they were doing, as opposed to brilliant, awe-inspiring scientists, and those glaring flaws are partly what made them such an affable bunch to hang with.

Unlike others, I have absolutely no problem with female leads in a Ghostbusters film.  I don't see why it's such a big deal or a sign of some PC apocalypse...but I do wish Feig had at least made these female Ghostbusters more appealing/interesting than they seem from the trailer.

Fri, 4 Mar 2016, 17:31 #18 Last Edit: Fri, 4 Mar 2016, 17:36 by riddler
Quote from: johnnygobbs on Fri,  4 Mar  2016, 17:01
Quote from: riddler on Fri,  4 Mar  2016, 15:28
I saw McKinnon more as the wise-cracking Venkman type (although she does somewhat physically resemble The Real Ghostbusters version of Spengler), and McCarthy as Stanz and Wiig as Spengler, since those two seem the more earnest of the group.

To be honest, there doesn't seem to be a proper Venkman stand-in, which is a shame.  I think Paul Feig was so intent on making the characters accomplished and inspiring lady scientists that he arguably took away from what made the original characters so much fun and likeable.  The original Ghostbusters often seemed like nutty eccentrics and charlatans, none of whom truly knew what they were doing, as opposed to brilliant, awe-inspiring scientists, and those glaring flaws are partly what made them such an affable bunch to hang with.

Unlike others, I have absolutely no problem with female leads in a Ghostbusters film.  I don't see why it's such a big deal or a sign of some PC apocalypse...but I do wish Feig had at least made these female Ghostbusters more appealing/interesting than they seem from the trailer.

McKinnon's character seems to be the most technical one of the group; her character is an engineer, seems she's the one who'll design and build the equipment while Wiig and McCarthy are the paranormal experts. Maybe they'll come across as hybrids of the 3 male scientists; Wiig seems extremely nerdy and socially awkward like Egon. McCarthy will likely have Peter's sarcasm, McKinnons seems to have Egons intelligence but Peter's penchant for pranks. Ray didn't exactly have a lot of his own identity, he isn't quite as smart as Egon but has more social skills. I guess Ray was the most enthusiastic of the group which is a trait McCarthy seems to follow.

It'll be a different role for Hemsworth, he usually plays macho characters in either action or romances. It'll be weird seeing him play receptionist for a bunch of ladies although I have a feeling the film will have him be under qualified with one of the female characters hiring him on a whim based on a schoolgirl crush similar to Rachel hiring a good looking guy with no experience as her assistant on friends.

Also will there be a stand in for Louis Tully? He is kind of the forgotten character (possibly due to Rick Moranis retiring from acting), he really helped carry the second film. I actually think Kristen Wiig would have been better filling that role than as a ghostbuster, maybe that was the plan with Emma Stone initially being offered a part?

Fri, 4 Mar 2016, 17:56 #19 Last Edit: Fri, 4 Mar 2016, 18:51 by johnnygobbs
I think you're right about Ray being the most enthusiastic of the original team.  He always had a naïve, puppyish enthusiasm which really helped get the whole Ghostbusters enterprise going to begin with.  I don't think it would have got off the ground if it had been left to the relatively more detached and/or cynical Egon and Peter.

I recall a quote back in the 80s or 90s where someone described the Ghostbusters team as follows: Egon is the brains, Peter the mouth and Ray the heart.  Unfortunately, I don't recall what body part Winston's role was related to, but he may have been described as 'the hands' (i.e. the most practical of the group).