The Halloween Franchise

Started by thecolorsblend, Thu, 17 Jan 2019, 03:26

Previous topic - Next topic
Yeah, pretty much. I've taken all that to mean that there's a solid idea underlying Halloween that people can connect to in some way whereas the other properties you mention don't necessarily have the same mojo going for them.

Halloween as a franchise is a survivor. I'm not fond of Zombie's Halloween movies. But as you say, they were high profile and proved that the series can be modernized in ways that maybe the also-ran franchises can't.

Yeah, it's kinda interesting how Michael Myers, during the entire decade of the 1980's, only had really three films featuring him. Two being decent (H2, H4), and one being absolute crap (H5). Where "Friday the 13th" had eight installments, and "Nightmare on Elm Street" having five. As a consequence, the perception was that Freddy and Jason were the slasher kings of the 1980's, which in turn initiated the old "who would win?" debate that finally was realized in 2003.

As far as the 1990's go, I would say that this is where Michael began returning back to prominence thanks to all the attention of Jamie Lee Curtis returning to the franchise with "Halloween H20" in 1998. The slasher genre got a kick start thanks to "Scream" just a few years earlier, and with Jamie Lee returning, along with the Creed song, "What's this Life for" being heavily played during advertisements of the movie, "H20" was smart in the sense of capitalizing on what was going on at the time. The only one that comes anywhere close would be "Wes Craven's New Nightmare", but arguably "H20" was by far the more successful of the two while in theaters (with "New Nightmare" gaining more of a following on VHS/DVD). "Freddy vs Jason" was a big deal, but so was Rob Zombie's "Halloween 2007" reboot.

Then you had the two reboots of NOES and Friday the 13th that I don't think many people truly loved. Especially in the case of the NOES reboot (I can't believe it's been nearly 20 years since Robert Englund has played Freddy in a NOES movie), but Michael, following what many people found with the lackluster-Rob Zombie's "Halloween 2", has really got a good jump start with "Halloween 2018", and to which appears to be very much continuing with "Halloween Kills", and then the not-too-distant-future release of "Halloween Ends".

Where you can say that Michael was unseated from his throne by Freddy and Jason in the 1980's, in more recent years, Michael Myers and the Halloween franchise, for the most part, has continued to deliver a more quality product to where Michael has arguably reasserted himself to the very top of the slasher echelon.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Halloween Kills is coming on Friday. And it's starting to get hard to avoid spoilers.

I have exactly zero interest in seeing this thing in a theater so I signed up for the Peacock app. I'd rather watch the movie at home and munch my own popcorn. But that could just be me.

Checking this out at the local theater tonight at a 7pm showing.

Judging off the last few of my theater experiences, there will be plenty of seats. "Venom 2" had like maybe 8-9 people on it's opening Thurs night, and the opening Thurs night showing for "No Time to Die" only had two other people outside of the group I was in.

This will probably be it for me for awhile, at least until "Ghostbusters Afterlife" comes out in Nov. Can't think of anything else in Oct I really want to see in a theater, and I don't have any interest in "The Eternals" whatsoever.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Today's the day. We've been moved over to permanent WFH at my job. And I'm exhausted.

So, I'll probably hit the sack right after work, get some sleep, wake up later, make some popcorn and watch the movie tonight. It should probably be watched at night anyway.

Listening to the score now tho. And I'm a bit underwhelmed so far. At 45 minutes, there's no way this is the complete score. So, I'll reserve judgment on the score for the time being. Some of it is rly good tho.

Meanwhile I'm lagging behind by three years and still haven't seen the 2018 Halloween. Fortunately it's making its UK TV debut tonight, so I'll be watching that this evening while everyone else is watching the new film.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Fri, 15 Oct  2021, 13:49
Meanwhile I'm lagging behind by three years and still haven't seen the 2018 Halloween. Fortunately it's making its UK TV debut tonight, so I'll be watching that this evening while everyone else is watching the new film.
If you feel like posting your thoughts later about the 2018 film here, you might as well. I'd be interested in that.

For now, no spoilers. Zero.

But man, this movie is LEGIT.

Checked this out.

Welp, I was completely wrong about the crowd. Venom 2 and Bond was damn near empty on opening night, but HK was pretty damn packed at the 7pm screening I went to. I even dug up my old graphic H20 shirt that I had in a storage crate for the occasion, which is still in surprisingly good condition after all these years. I was wearing a XL even then, so it still fits.  :D

I'll be posting my quick thoughts spoiler review soon enough. It's good (though has some problems), but not quite on that Halloween 2018 level.

Quote from: The Joker on Sat, 16 Oct  2021, 08:49It's good (though has some problems), but not quite on that Halloween 2018 level.
For me, HK elevated H2018. I liked 2018. It's good. But I liked HK better.

I might have more criticisms on the rewatch. But at this moment, I just don't have very much negative to say about HK.

Also, it's not a spoiler to say that Michael walks out of Laurie's burning house and then some stuff happens. That's in the trailers and a lot of other promotions. That scene will become one of the great iconic moments in all of Halloween, I have no doubt about that.